Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
shl023
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby shl023 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:59 am

Hi. I apologize in advance if these issues have come up on other forums. I tried searching for a bit but could not come by a forum with the exact same issue. I was hoping you guys could help me.

http://www.lawpad.com/gpa_calculator/

I have heard the above link is a good way of calculating my lsac gpa. I entered the total number of UNITS I got for every letter grade from my community college and UC into the approporiate sections. For instance if I had only two A- classes which were 3 units and the other, 4 units, I entered "7" into the section "A-"
I had received a NP (no pass) on a very stupid dance class I took a while.. while.. back for fun and never finished and having been only a 0.5 unit class I entered it into the section "F" to be safe. Since 0.5 was not an option on the above site, I entered "1" under section "F"

I read in another forum and in couple of sites such as this
http://www.ehow.com/how_4823316_calcula ... sions.html (under section 6)
that basically.. only transfered classes that COUNT towards my BA can be added into the lsac.
Therefore I DID NOT include these two additional classes that I took in community college (which I received As for) into the lsac gpa because they were not credited as classes applicable for getting my BA.

My confusion were three things:
1) first, am i using the above link right by putting in total units for the grades?
2) did i make the right move adding in the 0.5 unit class which i got a NP for into the lsac gpa?
2) should i have entered those other two classes from c.c. (which would probably help raise my lsac gpa)?

jafadoo
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby jafadoo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Message Deleted
Last edited by jafadoo on Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shl023
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby shl023 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 pm

jafadoo wrote:I wish it were true that only classes that COUNT towards your BA counted towards your LSAC GPA.
It's actually all classes taken BEFORE you get your degree posted, whether they counted or not is irrelevant as LSAC probably does not go through each schools degree plans for each major picking only the classes required for your degree.

Include ALL college classes taken before your degree was posted for LSAC GPA.


Hmmm. Are you completely sure? Because the link I put up.. step #6 says "any college course will count towards your GPA if it counts toward your undergrad degree".

Very early in my community college years (before I transfered to a UC) I took these very low math classes: Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry (which are usually taken in high school during 9th and 10th grades). I just had to retake them because I forgot how to do them. I mean.. if they count towards my lsac gpa.. it'll be great considering i got As in both classes.. but I am not too sure..

Also please take a look at this forum. It is so confusing ..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109876

jafadoo
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby jafadoo » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:47 pm

shl023 wrote:
jafadoo wrote:I wish it were true that only classes that COUNT towards your BA counted towards your LSAC GPA.
It's actually all classes taken BEFORE you get your degree posted, whether they counted or not is irrelevant as LSAC probably does not go through each schools degree plans for each major picking only the classes required for your degree.

Include ALL college classes taken before your degree was posted for LSAC GPA.


Hmmm. Are you completely sure? Because the link I put up.. step #6 says "any college course will count towards your GPA if it counts toward your undergrad degree".

Very early in my community college years (before I transfered to a UC) I took these very low math classes: Intermediate Algebra and Trigonometry (which are usually taken in high school during 9th and 10th grades). I just had to retake them because I forgot how to do them. I mean.. if they count towards my lsac gpa.. it'll be great considering i got As in both classes.. but I am not too sure..

Also please take a look at this forum. It is so confusing ..

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=109876



O you mean Zero level courses?
Like MAT 097?

I have no idea, good question tho.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Yes, you have to count all classes and grades that you got before your first bachelor's degree, even if they didn't count toward your degree, you didn't transfer them, your school doesn't count them toward their GPA, or you repeated classes. The only exception is if your transcript says REMEDIAL next to the grade. See the LSDAS Information Book.

shl023
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:34 am

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby shl023 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:04 pm

im_blue wrote:Yes, you have to count all classes and grades that you got before your first bachelor's degree, even if they didn't count toward your degree, you didn't transfer them, your school doesn't count them toward their GPA, or you repeated classes. The only exception is if your transcript says REMEDIAL next to the grade. See the LSDAS Information Book.


Aren't the classes you got Ws (non-punative) excluded also?

MMmm. I skim through the book you gave me. Nothing about ALL CLASSES being added to Lsac. It just says turn in all transcript before your BA degree no??? Doesn't necessarily mean that all will be used to calculate lsac gpa.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Need help on lsac gpa. Please help..

Postby im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:46 pm

shl023 wrote:
im_blue wrote:Yes, you have to count all classes and grades that you got before your first bachelor's degree, even if they didn't count toward your degree, you didn't transfer them, your school doesn't count them toward their GPA, or you repeated classes. The only exception is if your transcript says REMEDIAL next to the grade. See the LSDAS Information Book.


Aren't the classes you got Ws (non-punative) excluded also?

MMmm. I skim through the book you gave me. Nothing about ALL CLASSES being added to Lsac. It just says turn in all transcript before your BA degree no??? Doesn't necessarily mean that all will be used to calculate lsac gpa.

I was referring to letter grades, but yes, non-punitive Ws aren't counted. All grades from all transcripts will be counted except for those listed under "courses excluded from GPA calculation."




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MSNbot Media and 3 guests