Fast admissions decision: good or bad?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
georgianpeach

New

Fast admissions decision: good or bad??

Post by georgianpeach » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:24 am

I found out today that my admissions decision has been mailed. I sent in my completed application to Northeastern Law 2 weeks ago. I have two theories:

1) They are sending offers of admission out asap so that they will have acceptance or rejection decisions made by prospective students asap as well in order to know how many spots they have left to offer.

2) They are efficient in sending out rejection notices.

Anyone have any experience with this? Is getting a fast decision a good sign?

newyorker88

Silver

Re: Fast admissions decision: good or bad??

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:26 am

It completely depends on your application. If you're an auto reject, no it's not good. If you're borderline, no it's not a good sign. If you're an auto admit yes it is.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:39 am

Depends.

georgianpeach

New

Post by georgianpeach » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:50 am

newyorker88 wrote:It completely depends on your application. If you're an auto reject, no it's not good. If you're borderline, no it's not a good sign. If you're an auto admit yes it is.
How does one know if they are an auto-reject? And are auto-rejects real? It seems like if scores are low, that they would look at supporting materials to make a decision.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:51 am

georgianpeach wrote:I found out today that my admissions decision has been mailed. I sent in my completed application to Northeastern Law 2 weeks ago. I have two theories:

1) They are sending offers of admission out asap so that they will have acceptance or rejection decisions made by prospective students asap as well in order to know how many spots they have left to offer.

a quick decision is generally a good thing.... adcomms typically evaluate applicants in order of strength of application (i.e. lsat and ugpa). weaker applications are put off for later review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:01 am

georgianpeach wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:It completely depends on your application. If you're an auto reject, no it's not good. If you're borderline, no it's not a good sign. If you're an auto admit yes it is.
How does one know if they are an auto-reject? And are auto-rejects real? It seems like if scores are low, that they would look at supporting materials to make a decision.
No. Law school is only about numbers and race.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:05 am

georgianpeach wrote:
If LSAT < 170 and GPA < 3.70, then you're auto-reject.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am

georgianpeach wrote:
Is this a serious post?

georgianpeach

New

Post by georgianpeach » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:30 am

newyorker88 wrote:
georgianpeach wrote:
Is this a serious post?
Of course it is a serious post. These are reasonable questions ...

If this auto-reject thing is true, then why do people with lsats AND gpas below the median get in? Look at the site lawschoolnumbers.com and see for yourself.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flanker1067

Silver

Post by Flanker1067 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:40 am

I think you are taking the term "auto-reject" too literally. I don't think there is ever an application that they won't look over, but if you have really low numbers and they glance over your app, finding nothing special, then there is no further discussion. You won't be passed on to another admissions person, you won't be compared to other applicants, you simply go into the "to reject" pile.

georgianpeach

New

Post by georgianpeach » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 am

Flanker1067 wrote:I think you are taking the term "auto-reject" too literally. I don't think there is ever an application that they won't look over, but if you have really low numbers and they glance over your app, finding nothing special, then there is no further discussion. You won't be passed on to another admissions person, you won't be compared to other applicants, you simply go into the "to reject" pile.
Ah, OK that is exactly the info that I was looking for with respect to this idea of auto rejections. None of this helps me though with the 2 week admission decision ... guess I'll just have to wait and see!

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:41 am

georgianpeach wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
georgianpeach wrote:
Is this a serious post?

If this auto-reject thing is true, then why do people with lsats AND gpas below the median get in? Look at the site lawschoolnumbers.com and see for yourself.
I've looked at lsn have you? on lsn you will see a general trend for each school. That's not to say there aren't exceptions but the exception never makes the rule. and how to know if you're an autoreject? Look at the schools stats. They usually say what's the lowest score they accepted for a particular cycle. an example of an auto reject? 149 2.5 applying to yale. Is it possible to be admitted with those numbers? I guess so, anything's possible but they've never taken anyone with those numbers.

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:17 pm

I got admitted in 4 days. Applied deadline day (Literally at around 10pm March 1st) and heard back on the friday. Now, if only the rest of the schools could be as swift.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 pm

georgianpeach wrote:
If you applied this late in the cycle, and both of your numbers are below the schools 25th percentile, it is very likely a rejection. Most law schools say that applicants who need special consideration, e.g. people with godawful LSATs and/or GPAs, should apply early in the cycle when fewer offers have been made.

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:39 pm

Newyorker88, your avatar disturbs me.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:46 pm

najumobi wrote:a quick decision is generally a good thing.... adcomms typically evaluate applicants in order of strength of application (i.e. lsat and ugpa). weaker applications are put off for later review.
But it's March 9th.

If this were November, or even January, I might agree. However, this late in the cycle, I don't think this is a safe deduction to make.

Either way, OP, I hope you got in!

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:55 pm

georgianpeach wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I think you are taking the term "auto-reject" too literally. I don't think there is ever an application that they won't look over, but if you have really low numbers and they glance over your app, finding nothing special, then there is no further discussion. You won't be passed on to another admissions person, you won't be compared to other applicants, you simply go into the "to reject" pile.
Ah, OK that is exactly the info that I was looking for with respect to this idea of auto rejections. None of this helps me though with the 2 week admission decision ... guess I'll just have to wait and see!

At one school I got in less than 10 days after sending my app, another got rejected two weeks after sending my app.
Both schools I was around the median, both were sent 2/1
Every school is different I think.
As far as Northeastern goes I was accepted with $$ three weeks after app sent.
Hope that helps!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:59 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:
najumobi wrote:a quick decision is generally a good thing.... adcomms typically evaluate applicants in order of strength of application (i.e. lsat and ugpa). weaker applications are put off for later review.
But it's March 9th.

If this were November, or even January, I might agree. However, this late in the cycle, I don't think this is a safe deduction to make.

Either way, OP, I hope you got in!
good point.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:22 pm

CMDantes wrote:Newyorker88, your avatar disturbs me.
what do you have against Pauly D?

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:33 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
Nothing at all really, just the creepy haunted look he's giving the camera unsettles me. That and the bondage, I dunno.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:44 pm

CMDantes wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
Nothing at all really, just the creepy haunted look he's giving the camera unsettles me. That and the bondage, I dunno.
LMAO what bondage? the dj headphones?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 pm

newyorker88 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
LMAO what bondage? the dj headphones?
Hah wow, definitely thought that was bondage. My mistake! :oops:

vebode01

New

Post by vebode01 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:57 pm

georgianpeach wrote:I found out today that my admissions decision has been mailed. I sent in my completed application to Northeastern Law 2 weeks ago. I have two theories:

I was admitted to northeastern 2 weeks after my application was completed...hope that helps :)

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:15 pm

georgianpeach wrote:
newyorker88 wrote:
georgianpeach wrote:
Is this a serious post?

False, not a single non-URM LSN applicant out of 80+ got in last year with both numbers below median. If you search for other T14's you'll get the same result except maybe for Berkeley, which is more holistic and does take a few such applicants.
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... ,8&type=jd

GOI, your rejection letter is in the mail.

14yearplan

New

Post by 14yearplan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:31 pm

im_blue wrote:
georgianpeach wrote:
georgianpeach wrote:

False, not a single non-URM LSN applicant out of 80+ got in last year with both numbers below median. If you search for other T14's you'll get the same result except maybe for Berkeley, which is more holistic and does take a few such applicants.
http://northwestern.lawschoolnumbers.co ... ,8&type=jd

GOI, your rejection letter is in the mail.
Did Northeastern jump into the T14?

Wake up and read before posting, and maybe you'll have something meaningful to write rather than writing for arguments sake.

And do you think LSN is a true representation of applicants? I think some people just like to find irrelevant data to back up their inane arguments.

And most importantly...Good luck GeorgianPeach, I hope you get accepted...and I do think the quick response is a good sign.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”