Grammar in Message boards

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corporatelaw87
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Grammar in Message boards

Postby corporatelaw87 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 pm

Off topic I know, but do you guys really care if someone uses poor grammar?

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Burgstaller04 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 pm

you no, it doesn't realy mater to me. you no your cool when you post with bad grammer

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Teoeo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:08 pm

Every time I see bad grammar on message boards I become infuriated, turn green and get really strong. I usually carry around a laptop with me that is opened to TTT message boards in case I need to fight someone.

User avatar
Education1st
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:50 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Education1st » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:20 pm

Teoeo wrote:I usually carry around a laptop with me that is opened to TTT message boards in case I need to fight someone.


Always worked for me.

User avatar
Columbia Law
Posts: 295
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:51 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Columbia Law » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:22 pm

Shouldn't it be "Grammar ON message boards?"

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby bees » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:26 pm

It's a great way to go after someone if you're actually wrong about something but refuse to admit defeat. The person might be making a sense, but there's no way for me to know if they think you're = your.

angioletto
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby angioletto » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm

If I see grammar that seems to be intentionally poor (especially "text speak") I assume the person is uneducated (or 13 years old) and move on to the next post. For the most part TLS isn't bad but some other message boards are just packed with people who don't know how to construct a sentence, let alone a paragraph.

I am not talking about people who make the occasional error here.

i am talking about those who never use a period and every sentence just runs on and on and i cant figure out if their shift key is broken or if they are just too lazy to use it but then they end every other sentence with lol as if saying lol masks the fact that they sound like an idiot lol and then they start to say things like wut r u up 2 2nite and then i am completely lost because i cant read text speak.

(Wow, I really had to concentrate to write all that without punctuation or capitalization.)

cao0008
Posts: 56
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby cao0008 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:17 pm

angioletto wrote: (Wow, I really had to concentrate to write all that without punctuation or capitalization.)


This is exactly why I don't understand how people can find text speak practical. It would take me forever to write like that, but then again maybe you just get used to it.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:35 pm

Columbia Law wrote:Shouldn't it be "Grammar ON message boards?"


Yep, definitely a comment fitting of Columbia Law.

User avatar
ShibaDan
Posts: 337
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:34 am

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby ShibaDan » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Columbia Law wrote:Shouldn't it be "Grammar ON message boards?"


Yep, definitely a comment fitting of Columbia Law.


hehe :lol:

User avatar
TrialsOfMiles
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:29 am

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby TrialsOfMiles » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:07 am

Being that this is a fairly vicious public forum, wherein one can be reasonably worried about being ridiculed based on what they choose to say, it should be pretty evident that poor grammar is going to lead to shame.

That being said ... if you're really considering law school, shouldn't your use of the apostrophe in contractions be second nature by now? OP, isn't it reassuring that people on this board ARE, in fact, bothered by improper grammar? After all, most of us are aspiring to enter a profession in which proper grammar usage and the nuances of the language of law will largely become our duty. If you can't proofread an online post, in which you represent yourself (albeit anonymously), how are you going to be trusted to properly word a complaint?

Perhaps the proper use of the word "whom" may be a bit foreign, but seeing "XXX your dumb" or "your gonna do great on the LSAT" is pretty aggravating for me considering I initially started coming here for advice and feedback.

Pick up a copy of Strunk and White, stop complaining, and learn how to communicate.

corporatelaw87
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:26 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:31 am

That's just it, it an anonymous message board, who cares about grammar. If you get your point across on here that's fine. It's not like this is a brief for a class in which you would proofread. I type quick and don't look back. I am just looking for answers on here not critiques. The said thing is people talk so much smack on here, let's be honest would you really walk up to a stranger and just criticize him. You'd probably get knocked out. Also, lets be honest on another front, Personally I am on here cause I am paranoid, and obsessive compulsive. And, as you can see I don't post very often ( I posted a lot after LSAT when answers were going around, that's where the majority of my posts are) but people who spend their day on here...really? Do something with your time instead of criticizing people who do not know.

Fark-o-vision
Posts: 590
Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Fark-o-vision » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 am

The attempt should be made. That said, I have a ranking system whereby I weigh the seriousness of medium alongside the time I spend editing. Forums currently 673rd. Still, it isn't bad form to be in practice. Just makes life easier.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 am

angioletto wrote:If I see grammar that seems to be intentionally poor (especially "text speak") I assume the person is uneducated (or 13 years old) and move on to the next post. For the most part TLS isn't bad but some other message boards are just packed with people who don't know how to construct a sentence, let alone a paragraph.

I am not talking about people who make the occasional error here.

i am talking about those who never use a period and every sentence just runs on and on and i cant figure out if their shift key is broken or if they are just too lazy to use it but then they end every other sentence with lol as if saying lol masks the fact that they sound like an idiot lol and then they start to say things like wut r u up 2 2nite and then i am completely lost because i cant read text speak.

(Wow, I really had to concentrate to write all that without punctuation or capitalization.)


the "grammar errors" that bother me online arent the text speak (which i indulge in) or the lack of capitalization/punctuation because i see those as stylistic choices (albeit poor ones in some situations)

even typos/small mistakes are understandable -- it's an online msg forum, not an essay; hell, half of the ppl typing on here are prob in class 'attempting' to listen to lecture. it seems silly to go back and re-read or edit your msg for small errors.

but mixing up "you're" for "your" or "there" for "their" bothers me a lot...thats not a short cut or a stylistic choice; thats just wrong

finally, in my defense, i love using 'lol' -- it often serves the role of placeholder for my punctuation -- because ppl always assume e-comments are meaner/more sarcastic than they were actually meant to be (or at least for me that seems to be the case)...i throw in 'lol' to make the msg seem less douchey as there is no intonation online to differentiate how im saying a comment :)

User avatar
ChildPlease
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby ChildPlease » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:47 am

corporatelaw87 wrote:That's just it, it's an anonymous message board, who cares about grammar[strike].[/strike]? If you get your point across on here that's fine. It's not like this is a brief for a class [strike]in[/strike]which you would proofread. I type quickly and don't look back. I am just looking for answers on here, not critiques. The sa[strike]i[/strike]d thing is people talk so much smack on here, let's be honest, would you really walk up to a stranger and just criticize him. You'd probably get knocked out. Also, lets be honest on another front[strike],[/strike]. Personally, I am on here cause I am paranoid, and obsessive compulsive. [strike]And,[/strike][strike]as[/strike]As you can see I don't post very often ( I posted a lot after LSAT when answers were going around, that's where the majority of my posts are) but people who spend their day on here...really? Do something with your time instead of criticizing people whom you do not know.

User avatar
Burgstaller04
Posts: 628
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Grammar in Message boards

Postby Burgstaller04 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 am

"but mixing up "you're" for "your" or "there" for "their" bothers me a lot...thats not a short cut or a stylistic choice; thats just wrong"

amen




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bcapace, Bing [Bot], dannyswo, Exabot [Bot] and 7 guests