Oregon $ v. Willamette $$$$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kswiss

Oregon $ v. Willamette $$$$

Postby kswiss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:55 pm

Besides the gross difference in ranking, does anyone have experience between these schools, particularly how they place in Portland?

The answer seems obvious (Oregon), but I just got the acceptance/scholarship from Willamette today and it basically amounts to a full ride. Since my wife is a working therapist, this would mean that I could graduate with 0 debt.

At Oregon, I'm looking at graduating with about 65k in debt. It is also a well regarded T2 and places pretty well in the Portland market. I would also like the option of transferring if I nail my 1L year. Seems I'd have a better chance from Oregon than from Willamette.

Overall, I'd be happier at Oregon, but that huge dollar amount on the Willamette letter keeps staring at me.

Does anyone have specific experience in the Portland market? I have a friend who is a lawyer there, and he says that in his circle of lawyers (DAs and public defenders) almost everyone comes from L&C and Willamette. But all other sources say that L&C and Oregon hold down the market. I don't want to work for the DA or public defender's office, so I should probably take what he says with a grain of salt.

ahmarch

Re: Oregon $ v. Willamette $$$$

Postby ahmarch » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:45 pm

I am currently in same general boat. Gonzaga and Willamette offered $$$, but Oregon has a better reputation. On top of the reputation Oregon seems like it has a better atmosphere overall. While the additional debt is concerning (I would be approx 60k in debt as well), I will most likely be sending my deposit in over the next week.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 pm

What are the stipulations on your Willamette offer?

Even if the requirements are low, I would personally choose Oregon. The school is much better respected and will open up more career paths for you. Also, Eugene is generally considered a much better place to spend three years than Salem.

Philaw

Postby Philaw » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:55 pm

I currently live in Oregon, and in my experience, Wilamette places well in Portland, and is well-respected in Oregon in genereal. I think if it came down to Oregon w/debt and Wilamette without, I would absolutely go for Wilamette. Obviously, Lewis & Clark would have a distinct advantage in Portland over other schools due to networking potential, but Wilamette, if you are going to stay in Oregon, is perfect with a full ride. I wouldn't venture to Gonzaga unless you were planning on living in the southern/central Washington.

Salem doesn't feel like the capital of Oregon, and personally, it wasn't my favorite city in Oregon. It's not bad, but it's not great either. You can, however, make it to Portland, Florence, or Eugene without too much time and energy spent if you want a break from Salem in a city that can offer a better time.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Stipulation is 2.9. I don't know where that falls on the curve at Willamette. Anyone with info?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:14 pm

PM me if you'd like my personal opinion about Willamette, it's a little controversial for the open forum.

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:25 pm

JOThompson wrote:Anecdotally, I've worked for/with three Willamette lawyers who weren't impressive. OSB disciplinary proceedings, overbilling issues, trust fund mishandling, missing hearing deadlines, breach of client confidentiality, and so forth. Hardly the norm, I know some great lawyers from there too, including one of my undergrad friends, but it makes me worry when even a few Willamette grads are the butt of jokes (in my limited experience).

I've run into a few instances of this as well and I've yet to hear anything negative about L&C or Oregon grads. I was accepted to Willamette last cycle and attended their admitted student day. To be honest, I left quite unimpressed with the school and worried I would be stuck in Salem for a long time. Furthermore, I'm not sure what their curve is but I'm not keen on scholarships with GPA requirements. Oregon's "good academic standing" requirement seems much nicer. With two stronger law schools in Oregon and only one real legal market (and a small one at that) I personally wouldn't go to Willamette.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:36 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Anecdotally, I've worked for/with three Willamette lawyers who weren't impressive. OSB disciplinary proceedings, overbilling issues, trust fund mishandling, missing hearing deadlines, breach of client confidentiality, and so forth. Hardly the norm, I know some great lawyers from there too, including one of my undergrad friends, but it makes me worry when even a few Willamette grads are the butt of jokes (in my limited experience).

I've run into a few instances of this as well and I've yet to hear anything negative about L&C or Oregon grads. I was accepted to Willamette last cycle and attended their admitted student day. To be honest, I left quite unimpressed with the school and worried I would be stuck in Salem for a long time. Furthermore, I'm not sure what their curve is but I'm not keen on scholarships with GPA requirements. Oregon's "good academic standing" requirement seems much nicer. With two stronger law schools in Oregon and only one real legal market (and a small one at that) I personally wouldn't go to Willamette.

Haha, so much for editing my post. I agree with your reasoning. Oregon has a rather small legal market. I think you need to maximize every possible advantage when trying to find a job here. For me, that would've meant going to LC or Oregon with a small scholarship (instate is pretty cheap!).

SamSeaborn2016

Postby SamSeaborn2016 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:45 pm

JOThompson wrote:
SamSeaborn2016 wrote:

Haha, so much for editing my post. I agree with your reasoning. Oregon has a rather small legal market. I think you need to maximize every possible advantage when trying to find a job here. For me, that would've meant going to LC or Oregon with a small scholarship (instate is pretty cheap!).

I think the employment worries are the key, above and beyond everything else. There are two bigger dogs in pretty small yard. FWIW, Willamette seems to have good employment numbers for local/state government positions. Helps that the law school is basically across the street from the state government offices.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:47 am

JOThompson wrote:PM me if you'd like my personal opinion about Willamette, it's a little controversial for the open forum.

PM'd

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”