Tulane vs. Wake Forest Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
4llin

New

Tulane vs. Wake Forest

Post by 4llin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:18 pm

Admitted at both, similar scholarship at both.

Interested in opinions that reflect the whole picture: Employment prospects, quality of life, and quality of education. I want this question to be answered first: Tulane v WF.

Next consider W&M vs T/WF. Let's assume that debt @ W&M would total ~120K and ~50K @ WF/Tulane. Does the starting salary / future salary difference accommodate this 70K difference? Should we expect drastically different QOE?

Much appreciated.

strawberryfanta

Bronze

Re: Tulane vs. Wake Forest

Post by strawberryfanta » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:16 am

Where do you want to live/work?

broker02

New

Post by broker02 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am

I heard from a highly regarded professor that if you can't get into T20-30 and want to move elsewhere (out of regional markets, enhanced portability) that Tulane is your best bet. He said most graduates from there go to large city markets or at least medium-sized markets, but very few stay within Tulane's immediate radius. Not sure if that helps or not.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 am

Wake Forest v. Tulane?

We would need more information from you.

But I'm not sure if William and Mary is worth 2.5 times as much debt as Wake or Tulane though.

jakeoooh

New

Post by jakeoooh » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:55 am

I second that W&M isn't worth 2.5 times as much debt as Tulane or Wake. I wouldn't advise $120k of debt for anywhere outside the top 15 since you're already sitting on a pair of good scholarships- maybe the top 20 if you were dead-set on Atlanta and wanted Emory (for example). I know W&M has a slightly better name on here than Wake or Tulane, but it isn't worth the T14 price when you've got comparable options for so much less money.

I would decide whether you'd be happier living in New Orleans or in NC if you're stuck for a few years after law school, and go with that option.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:19 pm

A few weeks ago I would have been pro Tulane trolling... but then I saw the 'go-to law school list' and they didn't make the top 50.... I'd say take Wake and run unless you want to be in the South near LA.

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm in the same boat... I went to visit Wake and found the town okay and am gonna check out Tulane in a couple weeks. I think it will ultimately end up being Tulane though.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:51 pm

gwuorbust wrote:A few weeks ago I would have been pro Tulane trolling... but then I saw the 'go-to law school list' and they didn't make the top 50.... I'd say take Wake and run unless you want to be in the South near LA.
Yeah that was interesting.
sticknbindle wrote:I'm in the same boat... I went to visit Wake and found the town okay and am gonna check out Tulane in a couple weeks. I think it will ultimately end up being Tulane though.
If anyone has any questions about Tulane, I can answer them.

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:05 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:A few weeks ago I would have been pro Tulane trolling... but then I saw the 'go-to law school list' and they didn't make the top 50.... I'd say take Wake and run unless you want to be in the South near LA.
Yeah that was interesting.
sticknbindle wrote:I'm in the same boat... I went to visit Wake and found the town okay and am gonna check out Tulane in a couple weeks. I think it will ultimately end up being Tulane though.
If anyone has any questions about Tulane, I can answer them.
What made you pick Tulane over your other options? I got the same offer as you did and I'm probably going to take it, but I haven't visited NO yet, and my gf is a little worried about the safety of the city.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:38 pm

What didn't you like about Winston-Salem or Wake to make you expect that Tulane and New Orleans will be better?

sticknbindle

New

Post by sticknbindle » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:11 am

84Sunbird2000 wrote:
What didn't you like about Winston-Salem or Wake to make you expect that Tulane and New Orleans will be better?
I liked how laid back NC was in general. Winston-Salem had kind of a small town--but urban--vibe to it. I may still end up there, and I actually liked the town a lot, but I think that it just may get old after a while. I've always been fascinated with New Orleans and they gave me a better offer than Wake did. I have some bartender friends here in SF who go down there a lot and they have nothing but good things to say about it. Plus, the school has a laid back reputation. Also, Tulane seems to be less of a regional school than Wake.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:55 am

sticknbindle wrote:
84Sunbird2000 wrote:
I liked how laid back NC was in general. Winston-Salem had kind of a small town--but urban--vibe to it. I may still end up there, and I actually liked the town a lot, but I think that it just may get old after a while. I've always been fascinated with New Orleans and they gave me a better offer than Wake did. I have some bartender friends here in SF who go down there a lot and they have nothing but good things to say about it. Plus, the school has a laid back reputation. Also, Tulane seems to be less of a regional school than Wake.
Okay, that's reasonable. Tulane definitely has a more scattered alumni base, mainly because New Orleans is a small legal market and there's not much outside there. Plus LSU is for in-state persons (common and civil law, wtf!), and Tulane is for everyone. I just can't fathom living in a city with that much heat AND humidity for much of the year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”