Does anyone know how portable Minnesota is?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BoomBoom1986

Does anyone know how portable Minnesota is?

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:21 pm

Right after graduation? A few years out after some good work experience?

I'm strongly considering it (along with a couple UC schools. I also need to hear back from a few more places), but I would probably attend if I knew it was at least a LITTLE portable...

MC Southstar

Re: Does anyone know how portable Minnesota is?

Postby MC Southstar » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:28 pm

It's fairly portable since it has no weight anywhere outside of that region.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm

0L here.

From what I have seen, Minn does ok in NY and Chi. They also have a pretty decent amount of grads go into academia for a school outside of the top-14 (this I have got from a small smaple size of looking at the faculty of the schools I am applying to). For me, doing well in academia seems to suggest your degree is widely respected among lawyers.

I would assume in the MidWest Minn is very well respected and NY, you're probably more respected than Brooklyn.

They also place around 25-30% at Big firms. Considering there are few in MN they have to be getting jobs somewhere.
Last edited by Kobe_Teeth on Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm

MC Southstar wrote:It's fairly portable since it has no weight anywhere outside of that region.

Wouldn't you mean it's fairly non-portable?

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
MC Southstar wrote:It's fairly portable since it has no weight anywhere outside of that region.

Fail.... That is the joke....

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:31 pm

nycparalegal wrote:

the joke

-----------

your head

opus127

Postby opus127 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:38 pm

My impression is that if you do well at MN, the degree is fairly portable right after graduation. MN's writing program is well-respected, which helps. When I met with someone in the Career Services office, he was up-front about the economy, but said hiring on the coasts is still OK. He said Chicago is the market where MN grads have been hit hardest.

The U is also the best law school in MN, opening the doors to the best opportunities for newly-minted JDs in MN. I would think that it would be much easier to find a job beyond the Upper Midwest after a few years of resume-building in MN.

(0L here, speculating based on conversations with people both in and outside of MN.)

bees

Postby bees » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 pm

kittenmittons wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:

the joke

-----------

your head

the jobs

--------------------

Minnesota

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:48 pm

Nightrunner wrote:
bees wrote:
kittenmittons wrote:
nycparalegal wrote:Wouldn't you mean it's fairly non-portable?

the joke
-----------
your head

the jobs
--------------------
Minnesota

With an easy curve. 98%

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the advice all! I'd like to end up on the West Coast eventually (40s), but I want to go to a great school (UMN is roughly 15 spots ahead of the two UC schools) and make some money when I first get out. Plus, I wouldn't mind at all living in Minneapolis for awhile. So now I'm just trying to decide between UC Hastings and/or Davis (with some $) and UMN. I have more options but I've narrowed it down to these three for a variety of reasons.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:48 pm

It's very portable. You can pick up the state of Minnesota and put it into your pocket, just like an iphone.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:51 pm

scionb4 wrote:It's very portable. You can pick up the state of Minnesota and put it into your pocket, just like an iphone.

Unless it's just snowed - then I'd wrap it in plastic first.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:52 pm

scionb4 wrote:It's very portable. You can pick up the state of Minnesota and put it into your pocket, just like an iphone.

Unfortunately I have Verizon, though :(

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm

That's where you would be wrong. Minnesota, in fact is not very portable. It is a fairly large state with many lakes. These lakes really bog down the land, making Minnesota fairly difficult to transport.

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:54 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Which phone do you have? I'm holding out with my POS standard issue Verizon regular phone until November when I'll get an LG Apollo and have a shared plan with my brother. That phone is going to be the shit, WinMo 7, Slide out QWERTY, Zune, the works man.

BoomBoom1986

Postby BoomBoom1986 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:58 pm

scionb4 wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

Which phone do you have? I'm holding out with my POS standard issue Verizon regular phone until November when I'll get an LG Apollo and have a shared plan with my brother. That phone is going to be the shit, WinMo 7, Slide out QWERTY, Zune, the works man.

I have a POS old RAZR, haha. I'm holding out because my folks are taking me off their plan when I graduate this spring. I'm thinking that when I have to start paying my own bill, I'm just going to make the switch to AT&T and get me an iPhone, finally!

scionb4

Postby scionb4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 pm

BoomBoom1986 wrote:
scionb4 wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:

I have a POS old RAZR, haha. I'm holding out because my folks are taking me off their plan when I graduate this spring. I'm thinking that when I have to start paying my own bill, I'm just going to make the switch to AT&T and get me an iPhone, finally!

Respectable - I wouldn't do that personally - I hate touch screens, but it certainly has the apps and such.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:56 am

I recently emailed a hiring director at a big law firm in Los Angeles. I was inquiring about california schools, but he noticed my email (undergrad) is from the u of minnesota. He commented on the U of MN having a solid law school reputation. Dont know if that helps.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:30 am

BoomBoom1986 wrote:So now I'm just trying to decide between UC Hastings and/or Davis (with some $) and UMN.

I may have to decide between UMN and Hastings if Hastings admits me. I applied to Hastings a couple weeks ago in a fit of paranoia that I wouldn't get off any of my WLs and that a UMN degree wouldn't travel outside of the Twin Cities. I'm not sure how rational either of those fears are but ITE I worry about getting stuck in MN.

TTH

Postby TTH » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:36 am

Go UMN and the boundless opportunities of BIGMINNESOTALAW are yours.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 am

beef wellington wrote:
BoomBoom1986 wrote:So now I'm just trying to decide between UC Hastings and/or Davis (with some $) and UMN.
I applied to Hastings a couple weeks ago in a fit of paranoia that I wouldn't get off any of my WLs and that a UMN degree wouldn't travel outside of the Twin Cities. I'm not sure how rational either of those fears are but ITE I worry about getting stuck in MN.

vlsorbust

Postby vlsorbust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 pm

I think you'd need one heck of a big container if you wanted to carry around the whole state of Minnesota, but I don't think that's very realistic... :wink:

Sorry, I saw the title of this thread and couldn't resist. :lol:

Edit - shoot, sorry HBK. I didn't scroll down far enough to see that you got there first.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”