What major do law schools require

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Re: What major do law schools require

Postby icydash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:39 am

ccs224 wrote:I don't think the disagreement was about who does what sort of college work, but whether the skills acquired through a liberal arts degree were of use in a law career. I have no idea what sort of work engineering students do (build engines?), but I'm sure they also gain valuable skills (like working through terribly boring text books, etc) that would help them in law school. I would hazard a guess that someone with a lit or history degree probably reads, writes and interprets significantly more than hard science majors,

I don't think anyone here is disputing you learn valuable stuff for law school regardless of your major, which is probably why there is no correct major for law school. All we're saying is that all GPAs are created equal, unfortunately, because certain majors ARE harder than others.

ccs224 wrote:but if that is not the case, I think that we can all agree that they at least exit college more cultured, witty, urbane and get laid exponentially more often

I've never known anyone whose gotten more 'witty, cultured or urbane' by reading history textbooks. In fact, some of the real hardcore english/history nerds I know are WAY worse socially/awkward than their engineering counterparts.

You're correct about getting laid. :mrgreen:

icydash

Postby icydash » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:41 am

im_blue wrote:You mean to tell me that a 3.5 in electrical engineering from MIT won't count more than the 3.7 in women's studies from University of Alaska? :?

Sadly, yes that's pretty much what the situation is. Dumb, isn't it? Complain to admissions.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:47 am

icydash wrote:
ccs224 wrote:I don't think the disagreement was about who does what sort of college work, but whether the skills acquired through a liberal arts degree were of use in a law career. I have no idea what sort of work engineering students do (build engines?), but I'm sure they also gain valuable skills (like working through terribly boring text books, etc) that would help them in law school. I would hazard a guess that someone with a lit or history degree probably reads, writes and interprets significantly more than hard science majors,

I don't think anyone here is disputing you learn valuable stuff for law school regardless of your major, which is probably why there is no correct major for law school. All we're saying is that all GPAs are created equal, unfortunately, because certain majors ARE harder than others.

ccs224 wrote:but if that is not the case, I think that we can all agree that they at least exit college more cultured, witty, urbane and get laid exponentially more often

I've never known anyone whose gotten more 'witty, cultured or urbane' by reading history textbooks. In fact, some of the real hardcore english/history nerds I know are WAY worse socially/awkward than their engineering counterparts.

You're correct about getting laid. :mrgreen:

You only think that because the hardcore engineering nerds are never seen anywhere but the engineering library, their lab, and class. The engineers you see are the social ones.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 am

I was trolling about the "smarter" thing, but I will say this: engineers are among the less awkward people in law school. The most socially normal people tend to be the IB/finance types, followed by the engineers, followed distantly by humanities (literature, not communications) majors.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”