What major do law schools require Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ggeczi

New

What major do law schools require

Post by ggeczi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm

I am a business administration major with two semester of Criminal Jusitice under my belt, is this appropiate for law school?

Diamond

Re: What major do law schools require

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:44 pm

ggeczi wrote:I am a business administration major with two semester of Criminal Jusitice under my belt, is this appropiate for law school?
Anything. So yes it works /end tread.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:45 pm

If you're sure you want to go to law school, take the easiest major your university offers and get a 4.0. Law schools seem to not care whether you learned anything substantive.

carlkenneth

Bronze

Post by carlkenneth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 pm

There is no particular major required for law school. But your major is fine. Every book and person I've ever spoken to suggests either majoring in something that you enjoy or something that will yield you the highest GPA possible.

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 pm

The major most appropriate for the law school is the one that allows you to get the highest gpa. I'd switch from Business to Leisure/Exercise Science.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:47 pm

holydonkey wrote:The major most appropriate for the law school is the one that allows you to get the highest gpa. I'd switch from Business to Leisure/Exercise Science.
Business Admin is probably just as easy.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:51 pm

I was an accounting and economics major and most of the admissions people I talked to said they would discount my gpa. Law schools love diversity. Also having a major that can actually get you a job with out law school is a good safety net. I would not take the "easiest" major in the end it might have just the same effect. Harder majors are given weight, for any lack in gpa. Study what you want do your best and then do well on the LSAT you should be fine.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:00 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:I was an accounting and economics major and most of the admissions people I talked to said they would discount my gpa. Law schools love diversity. Also having a major that can actually get you a job with out law school is a good safety net. I would not take the "easiest" major in the end it might have just the same effect. Harder majors are given weight, for any lack in gpa. Study what you want do your best and then do well on the LSAT you should be fine.

No they aren't given more weight. But they also aren't given less weight.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cestjustemoi wrote:I was an accounting and economics major and most of the admissions people I talked to said they would discount my gpa. Law schools love diversity. Also having a major that can actually get you a job with out law school is a good safety net. I would not take the "easiest" major in the end it might have just the same effect. Harder majors are given weight, for any lack in gpa. Study what you want do your best and then do well on the LSAT you should be fine.

+1

As a Finance major from a top five school, I have experienced this first hand.

It sucks when kids who took easy majors at joke schools get more consideration because they have higher GPAs, but that's the reality of the admissions game.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wired

Bronze

Post by wired » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
ggeczi wrote:I am a business administration major with two semester of Criminal Jusitice under my belt, is this appropiate for law school?
Is this an internet version of "Don't tread on me?"

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:06 pm

wired wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Is this an internet version of "Don't tread on me?"
It wasn't but it is now.

Cestjustemoi

Bronze

Post by Cestjustemoi » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

Then the dean of admission at UF lied to me. Still think a more practical major is more useful in the end game, don't just take a major because it's easier one should always challenge ones self.

FCD

New

Post by FCD » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:14 pm

Well, Math majors and Philosophy majors have the highest average LSAT scores.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Then the dean of admission at UF lied to me. Still think a more practical major is more useful in the end game, don't just take a major because it's easier one should always challenge ones self.
I think most admissions people just tell you the answer they think you want to hear so that you leave them alone.

Khasekhemwy

New

Post by Khasekhemwy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm

FCD wrote:Well, Math majors and Philosophy majors have the highest average LSAT scores.
I may be wrong, but I thought on average physics majors may have the highest LSAT scores.

NewtonLied

New

Post by NewtonLied » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 pm

FCD wrote:Well, Math majors and Philosophy majors have the highest average LSAT scores.
False. Math and Physics tie at averaging 160. Philosophy is second @ 157.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 pm

It's because smarter people go into physics/math.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

NewtonLied

New

Post by NewtonLied » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:53 pm

[qu
Last edited by NewtonLied on Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Panther7

Bronze

Post by Panther7 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:56 pm

NewtonLied wrote:
rayiner wrote:It's because smarter people go into physics/math.
Partially. Physics and math also teach you to spot logical contradictions quickly. That's 90% of the LR section.
No, it's smarter people.

icydash

Bronze

Post by icydash » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:05 pm

HBK wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

It sucks when kids who took easy majors at joke schools get more consideration because they have higher GPAs, but that's the reality of the admissions game.
+1.

All admissions people care about is maintaining or improving their medians so they get a higher USNEWS ranking. Since USNEWS is based heavily on the incoming classes' LSAT and UGPA scores (NOT on their majors or schools from which they come), your major and undergrad institution are generally thought of as minor softs. If two people have the exact same UGPA and LSAT score, but one went to Harvard and was an Engineer, and the other went to American and was an English major, they will take the school/major into account. But if the American kid has two LSAT points higher, he's in over Harvard.

It's the game we all must play.

It sucks, but the best advice is go to the easiest school you can and take the easiest course load you can. A 4.0 from ANY school and ANY major with a good LSAT score is pretty much in at any law school of their choosing.

But enough ranting...to answer the OPs question, law school is NOT major specific. You can enter with any UG major. I myself am an Engineer...so it's not just those pesky prelaw kids. =)

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:20 pm

Depends on how you define smart.

I know people who can do ridiculously amazing things with numbers and whatnot, but cry like a bitch when they are told to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related.
Last edited by Gamecubesupreme on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:21 pm

holydonkey wrote:The major most appropriate for the law school is the one that allows you to get the highest gpa. I'd switch from Business to Leisure/Exercise Science.
Blatant anti-fatty trolling. Unless they get to focus on the "leisure" part of the major...

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:10 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
Depends on how you define smart.

I know people who can do ridiculously amazing things with numbers and whatnot, but cry like a bitch when they are told to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related.
Where do people get jobs that require someone to write a 20 page critical analysis on anything liberal arts related without a law degree exactly?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Cestjustemoi wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

http://florida.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

He lied.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:14 pm

HBK wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

+1

That's true, but it's not like you majored in math, physics, CS, engineering, or anything really hard.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”