Help me choose =D

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Where would you go?

U.C. Davis
45%
George Washington University
55%

Total votes: 47

Teoeo

Help me choose =D

Postby Teoeo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 pm

In the following hypothetical, what would you guys do?

1. Assume U.C. Davis and GW cost me the same amount of money.
2. I would like to work for the government, either state or federal in some sort of Labor Department (NLRB, DOL, EEOC, or the Department of Industrial Relations in Cali.).
3. My family actually lives IN davis, and I would love to stay in Nor cal.

I guess the issue is that GW has better chances at getting a job in government for LABOR but Davis has better chances of landing me a job in Nor Cal.

Joga Bonito

Re: Help me choose =D

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Tough choice dude I don't know, it could go either way.

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:54 pm

I was on the fence until you used the emoticon.

Davis.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:05 am

How good is davis really if one wants to work in S.F? I'm thinking along the lines of the OP and want to do criminal law...be like a PD or federal prosecutor...thoughts?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:23 am

I think UC law schools are pretty well respected throughout California. But it seems that you are choosing whether you want to work for the Federal government or a state/local government.

Personally, I think DC is more interesting, but if you intend to move from DC to NorCal after law school, then I'm not sure why you wouldn't just pick Davis.

voice of reason

Postby voice of reason » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:33 am

Because you (OP) would love to stay in northern California, you should clearly go to Davis.

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:07 am

this thread is giving you horrible advice. if you want to work in gov't, PLEASE choose GW. sacramento has a hiring freeze, and if you go to davis it's pretty much sac town or bust. GW GW GW.

PunjabiLower

Postby PunjabiLower » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:20 am

tallboone wrote:this thread is giving you horrible advice. if you want to work in gov't, PLEASE choose GW. sacramento has a hiring freeze, and if you go to davis it's pretty much sac town or bust. GW GW GW.

sac town or bust? wtf

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:07 am

It obviously comes down to what YOU want to do after and where you want to be. I think GW opens a lot more doors than UC Davis, but if you are dead set on staying in Northern California UC Davis would be the better choice. This isn't even a contest, if you plan on living in NorCal then go to Davis, if you plan on living anywhere else outside of Cali OR doing Federal gov. work then go to GW. I think GW is probably the better choice (since it's the same price you have to be getting some kind of scholly no?) for more career options down the road, but again, UC Davis is clearly a better choice for Cali.

mi-chan17

Postby mi-chan17 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm

I was kind of split, but I ended up leaning towards GW. I think for government work, unless some other school is giving you some kind of massive scholarship (to reduce your debt load), then GW is the way to go just due to location.

UC Davis is king in the Sacramento area, but the alums at the GW reception in SF gave me the impression that they had not had any real difficulty getting jobs in the bay area (this was, however, before the current economic fail). But especially if you have ties to the area, I think it's entirely possible to get work in NorCal coming out of GW. That being said, if you have no desire to ever work outside the Sacramento area, Davis is probably the better call for Sac Town.

PunjabiLower wrote:How good is davis really if one wants to work in S.F? I'm thinking along the lines of the OP and want to do criminal law...be like a PD or federal prosecutor...thoughts?

Punjabi, Davis grads are present in SF, but I think they face an uphill battle. There are plenty of them to choose from (as opposed to grads from good schools back east, which are like novelties according to the GW alums I spoke to) and they're competing with the grads from Boalt, Stanford, Hastings, USF, SCU, and transplants (from the rest of the T14, UCLA, and USC). That's some stiff competition for a school that hasn't cracked the T30.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”