Emory vs. UNC vs. Wake for job placement in NC? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flowerpot

New

Emory vs. UNC vs. Wake for job placement in NC?

Post by flowerpot » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 pm

I ultimately want to practice in NC, so which school should I attend? UNC and Wake have great placement in NC, but Emory is ranked so much higher... I would love to hear opinions!

Solerpower

New

Re: Emory vs. UNC vs. Wake for job placement in NC?

Post by Solerpower » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:40 pm

UNC>Emory>Wake

Emory is ranked higher, but UNC is better for NC! Its solid, but not quite on the level of UNC.

Wake is an easy third!

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59 pm

Solerpower wrote:UNC>Emory>Wake

Emory is ranked higher, but UNC is better for NC! Its solid, but not quite on the level of UNC.

Wake is an easy third!
I actually disagree with this. Most firms in NC are small-midsize firms that don't follow rankings very much. The alumni base from Wake makes it a better choice in most regions. Charlotte and maybe WNC are the only areas where Emory will really have an advantage over Wake, and UNC trumps both. UNC is the Harvard of NC in many people's mind.

flowerpot

New

Post by flowerpot » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:45 am

Ok, thanks for the thoughts. Which school would you say would give me the most portable degree?

somewherewarm

New

Post by somewherewarm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Based on USNEWS rankings alone, Emory would give you the most portable degree of the three schools listed. Emory also has better placement in NYC firms. From what I've read on this site Emory and Vandy are considered the most portable southern degrees outside of the T14 with the Vandy ultimately being more portable than Emory.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:17 am

if you can get in-state tuition... UNC hands down.

placencia

New

Post by placencia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 am

I think it depends on the kind of law as well. UNC is great for anything public interest or public sector. The connections you can make there are going to be just as important as anything else. In NC, remember that the network you form will be more important than many other factors.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:14 am

somewherewarm wrote:Based on USNEWS rankings alone, Emory would give you the most portable degree of the three schools listed. Emory also has better placement in NYC firms. From what I've read on this site Emory and Vandy are considered the most portable southern degrees outside of the T14 with the Vandy ultimately being more portable than Emory.
This would be useful if OP hadn't already specified they would prefer to practice in NC. Therefore the portability Emory and Vandy have toward more competitive northern markets matters very little if at all in this case.

OP, I would say either UNC or Wake ... and I'm not 100% certain UNC > Wake depending on your residency, etc. Money probably matters here, and even if you are IS in NC chances are good if you're also in at Emory, Wake has given you a scholarship that would make any difference in $$ between UNC and Wake negligible. Just visit and see which you like better.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=110471

If Emory gave you $$ and you didn't know where you wanted to practice this would be a different discussion.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”