POLL: Michigan sticker vs Emory half tuition

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Which school makes more sense?

Michigan (sticker)
80%
Emory (half tuition)
20%

Total votes: 40

blanket4568

POLL: Michigan sticker vs Emory half tuition

Postby blanket4568 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:44 am

Hi everyone, long time reader/first time poster. I would love you all's input on this, as I'm having a tough time with this decision. I didn't research law school much financially beforehand. Don't know where I want to practice, but am debt adverse, so half tuition from Emory sounds good, though I've only been to Atlanta once as a kid.

blanket4568

Re: POLL: Michigan sticker vs Emory half tuition

Postby blanket4568 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:08 am

Just musing outloud--is Michigan worth sticker? Because I am afraid I will go there and be in the bottom 50% of the class, whereas I could be more towards the top at Emory?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:22 am

blanket4568 wrote:Just musing outloud--is Michigan worth sticker? Because I am afraid I will go there and be in the bottom 50% of the class, whereas I could be more towards the top at Emory?

Most people will tell you the bolded is a pretty silly assumption to make. Also, no one can answer this question without knowing what sort of career path you are trying to go for, but for most answers the answer is going to be Michigan. The possible outcomes are not close enough for this to go in Emory's favor unless there are certain very specific outcomes you are looking for.

goblue1646

Postby goblue1646 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:33 am

this is interesting--i'm actually in a similar situation with michigan sticker versus emory and a few other schools $$. None of them are full scholarships, and Michigan is my absolute dream school, but the thought of 200,000 of debt makes my head hurt. :/ i'd be interested in what people have to saay about this also.

tome

Postby tome » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:21 pm

Who knows what might happen while you are at Emory. You could rock it and impress your professors and get some really great opportunities out of it. Or you could suck and end up with very few options.

Michigan, otoh, is a pretty safe bet. I'd take the safe bet. I turned down full scholarships at much better schools than Emory to go to a lower ranked school than Michigan, and I am very happy with my decision. Law school is an investment, and Michigan is a smart investment.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”