Undergrad Honors Program?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
maine08080

Undergrad Honors Program?

Postby maine08080 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:44 am

I go to a third tier public university and I was offered a spot in the Honors College when I applied out of high school. I figured it was because the admissions office has a hard on for my high school, because I was not the best student in high school. I got a 3.53 my first semester, and if all goes well, I will get a 3.77 this semester. I'm feeling pretty confident in my abilities now, and I am giving the Honors College second thoughts. For the sake of law or other graduate admissions in the future, does it make a difference?

Edit: I turned it down when I was admitted, but I am considering transferring into the Honors College now.
Last edited by maine08080 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

T14_Scholly

Re: Undergrad Honors Program?

Postby T14_Scholly » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:47 am

So you want to drop out of the honors program because of the fact that you're doing well?

maine08080

Postby maine08080 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:51 am

Oh fuck me, I should have written that differently.

I turned down the honors opportunity. I am just taking regular college classes right now, but I am considering transferring into the honors college.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:52 am

maine08080 wrote:I go to a third tier public university and I was offered a spot in the Honors College when I applied out of high school. I figured it was because the admissions office has a hard on for my high school, because I was not the best student in high school. I got a 3.53 my first semester, and if all goes well, I will get a 3.77 this semester. I'm feeling pretty confident in my abilities now, and I am giving the Honors College second thoughts. For the sake of law or other graduate admissions in the future, does it make a difference?

Law school? No.

Other graduate admissions? Maybe?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:36 am

I dropped out of my honors program (writing a thesis) because I couldn't work and study for the LSAT while researching/writing the thesis and because the only plus (as far as law school is concerned) would have been the words "honors candidate" on my resume. I would have finished the thesis sometime in late April, long after the completion of my cycle.

maine08080

Postby maine08080 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:17 pm

rad law wrote:I dropped out of my honors program (writing a thesis) because I couldn't work and study for the LSAT while researching/writing the thesis and because the only plus (as far as law school is concerned) would have been the words "honors candidate" on my resume. I would have finished the thesis sometime in late April, long after the completion of my cycle.

Yeah, I will be writing a thesis too if I decide to do honors. But I definitely would NOT be looking at writing a thesis and studying for the LSAT at the same time.

But anyways, the impression that I'm getting is that honors is a weak soft.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:21 pm

maine08080 wrote:
rad law wrote:I dropped out of my honors program (writing a thesis) because I couldn't work and study for the LSAT while researching/writing the thesis and because the only plus (as far as law school is concerned) would have been the words "honors candidate" on my resume. I would have finished the thesis sometime in late April, long after the completion of my cycle.

Yeah, I will be writing a thesis too if I decide to do honors. But I definitely would NOT be looking at writing a thesis and studying for the LSAT at the same time.

But anyways, the impression that I'm getting is that honors is a weak soft.

I would say yes, because tons of people do it. It's not that special.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”