Oldie but goodie (article link)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
j.wellington

Oldie but goodie (article link)

Postby j.wellington » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Some of you might have read this before, but I was doing some googling and found this 8-year-old article from Slate about prepping for law school "for the rest of us" that I thought I'd share: http://www.slate.com/id/2069512/

The nut graf:

Some small fraction of every incoming One-L class is comprised of people destined to take the legal world by storm. These are the people who intend to get straight A's, outline every case, make law review, clerk for a Reagan appointee, and spend the rest of their days in a leviathan corporate law firm where they will do whatever it is that's done in such places. These are the people law school was built for: people who think in zero-sum terms about everything—grades, jobs, and salaries. I wish them the very best of luck for the next three years. This advice is not for them.

This advice for the rest of you—who applied to law school simply because you took the LSATs, and who took the LSATs simply because the MCATs were too hard. This advice is for the people who graduated college with the generalized sense that they ought to be doing good works on this planet but were uncertain how to go about it. In short, this advice is for those of you who, like me, went to law school hoping that the experience would be stimulating and/or mind-expanding; a liberal-arts grad school for political people. Because you are doubtless trying to memorize the "blue book" this week, this advice is pre-outlined for your convenience.

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Oldie but goodie (article link)

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:21 pm

All of it is great, if not somewhat cliche, except this:

My advice is to just ignore the grades. Send 'em home and have your parents call you if you failed something. You will get a job. They don't matter.

Looked her up, by the way. Yale undergrad, Stanford Law, clerked for Hug on the Ninth Circuit. And, according to the ultimate purveyor of truth, Wikipedia, she "keeps a kosher home."

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Some small fraction of every incoming One-L class is comprised of people destined to take the legal world by storm. These are the people who intend to get straight A's, outline every case, make law review, clerk for a Reagan appointee, and spend the rest of their days in a leviathan corporate law firm where they will do whatever it is that's done in such places. These are the people law school was built for: people who think in zero-sum terms about everything—grades, jobs, and salaries. I wish them the very best of luck for the next three years. This advice is not for them.

That's when I stopped reading.

Herb Watchfell

Postby Herb Watchfell » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:

That's when I stopped reading.

Riveting! Thanks for sharing, Douchey Douche!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”