Just Withdrew From Three Schools - I declare Withdraw Day Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Re: Just Withdrew From Three Schools - I declare Withdraw Day

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks for the help. Withdrawing from a few schools today.

lawman2010

Bronze

Post by lawman2010 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:27 pm

existenz wrote:UC Hastings
Nice. I need this one. Sitting on waitlist right now...

lawman2010

Bronze

Post by lawman2010 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Anyone else want to keep the momentum going? We're opening up spots today to help our fellow TLSers who are either on waitlists or are in review...

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:08 pm

Great thread.

UPenn + GULC.

Mattisgo

New

Post by Mattisgo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:24 pm

I did DePaul, Loyola Chi and San Diego. Good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:27 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:Great thread.

UPenn + GULC.

no, awful thread.

No one except people posting where they withdrew gives a crap about who withdrew from where. You are a tiny, dreadful segment of the population.

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:38 am

Withdrew from Villanova, good luck

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 am

neskerdoo wrote:

UPenn + GULC.

no, awful thread.

No one except people posting where they withdrew gives a crap about who withdrew from where. You are a tiny, dreadful segment of the population.
Edit: Unfortunately, you (and others like you) represent a much larger portion of the population...
Last edited by cartercl on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:53 am

Withdrawing doesn't open a spot.

HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:02 am

Desert Fox wrote:Withdrawing doesn't open a spot.

HTH
Maybe not. But it certainly allows those borderline candidates to be viewed more favorably in the eyes of adcomms considering the fact that one more 3.5/168 candidate has been removed from an applicant pool full of splitters at a T2 or T3.

neskerdoo

Silver

Post by neskerdoo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:07 am

cartercl wrote:
neskerdoo wrote:

UPenn + GULC.

no, awful thread.

Edit: Unfortunately, you (and others like you) represent a much larger portion of the population...

yes, it's a real shame, I know

set88

New

Post by set88 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:04 pm

neskerdoo wrote:

UPenn + GULC.

no, awful thread.

We may not care about where individual people withdrew from but I think the overall idea is solid. You can't deny that if everyone right now withdrew from the schools they've already decided they don't really want to go to, the admissions process might move faster for the people still waiting. It certainly is not going to hurt. So why not encourage people to do it? This is a great thread.

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:20 pm

great thread +1

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:39 pm

Definitely a great thread. Ppl sitting on acceptances really are holding spots because adcomms don't want to over-admit and they want to see what their class is going to look like. If they know some people are out, they can move onto other candidates.

Sometimes ppl's logic on this site baffles me...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:Definitely a great thread. Ppl sitting on acceptances really are holding spots because adcomms don't want to over-admit and they want to see what their class is going to look like. If they know some people are out, they can move onto other candidates.

Actually letting in a new student after others withdraw is a recipe for over admitting. Adcoms know roughly how many people will actually matriculate, so they over admit.

Withdrawing doesn't open a spot because adcoms already planned that you would. Not you specifically, but that 3/4 of admits would.

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:57 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:Definitely a great thread. Ppl sitting on acceptances really are holding spots because adcomms don't want to over-admit and they want to see what their class is going to look like. If they know some people are out, they can move onto other candidates.

Actually letting in a new student after others withdraw is a recipe for over admitting. Adcoms know roughly how many people will actually matriculate, so they over admit.

Withdrawing doesn't open a spot because adcoms already planned that you would. Not you specifically, but that 3/4 of admits would.
I agree that adcomms plan for some of their applicants to be swayed, but not all and certainly not most. While they can guarantee that the higher applicants are out, the medians ones will be a gamble. And those are the ones schools need to at least keep the same rankings. Since there is no real guarantee for who is in and who is out for those, adcomms can't really look at the lower numbers (people waiting for spots) until they can assure their rankings/medians will be taken care of...

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Snoopy1216 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I agree that adcomms plan for some of their applicants to be swayed, but not all and certainly not most. While they can guarantee that the higher applicants are out, the medians ones will be a gamble. And those are the ones schools need to at least keep the same rankings. Since there is no real guarantee for who is in and who is out for those, adcomms can't really look at the lower numbers (people waiting for spots) until they can assure their rankings/medians will be taken care of...
Most schools have a yield rate of under 50%. More like 25-35%. Last year Michigan admitted almost 1200 applicants. Only 370 end up there.

They are not going to admit someone else because you withdraw. It's a probability game.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amputatedbrain

Bronze

Post by amputatedbrain » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:21 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

I'd guess no single withdrawal opens up spots, only if they get more withdrawals than they planned for, in which case they would go to the waitlist. And even if a school did end up with a few empty seats, would they admit people with sub-par numbers to fill them? I know they want every seat filled with a paying customer and all, but too much of that probably hurts their ranking?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:32 pm

amputatedbrain wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I'd guess no single withdrawal opens up spots, only if they get more withdrawals than they planned for, in which case they would go to the waitlist. And even if a school did end up with a few empty seats, would they admit people with sub-par numbers to fill them? I know they want every seat filled with a paying customer and all, but too much of that probably hurts their ranking?

Yes they go to the waitlist, but they won't know a final count until deposits are due. Which is why withdrawing early doesn't help.

A school would take more sub-par splitters to fill their class because they won't hurt their medians.

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Bumping this thread - let's withdraw some more applications!

I just withdrew from GULC, UVA, BU, and Penn.

AEF2813

New

Post by AEF2813 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:31 pm

withdrawn from:
gulc
columbia
upenn
duke

:lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cartercl

Bronze

Post by cartercl » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:21 pm

Withdrew from the University of Tennessee

DukeHopeful

Bronze

Post by DukeHopeful » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:30 pm

First, thanks to everyone withdrawing, whether it's a plus for us sitting on some WLs or not. It's psychologically helpful to me, at least. :lol:

A quick thought though about it helping others out. Maybe it doesn't open up spots to those on the WL, but those who are withdrawing and putting money back on the table certainly help out applicants who may already be admitted and are hoping for a little more $$ by freeing up scholly funds.

lawman2010

Bronze

Post by lawman2010 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:51 am

DukeHopeful wrote:First, thanks to everyone withdrawing, whether it's a plus for us sitting on some WLs or not. It's psychologically helpful to me, at least. :lol:

A quick thought though about it helping others out. Maybe it doesn't open up spots to those on the WL, but those who are withdrawing and putting money back on the table certainly help out applicants who may already be admitted and are hoping for a little more $$ by freeing up scholly funds.
^^^^^^ Agreed.

SandyC877

Bronze

Post by SandyC877 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:15 pm

withdrew: UT, Tennessee, Vandy, Hastings, USC, Florida, Loyola LA, Pepperdine.

Good luck yall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”