How to avoid YP?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
OneSixtySix

How to avoid YP?

Postby OneSixtySix » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:21 pm

I applied to 11 schools in total and have yet to hear back from 4 of them. Two of these schools are reaches (T14 25% LSAT, 75% GPA), and two would be considered safeties (above 75% GPA/LSAT), but schools I have a real interest in attending.

I'm concerned that I may get WL at the two safeties and thus lose out on possible scholarship money. I have already made a visit to one school which is local, but am unsure if that is considered in admission decisions (signed up for the tour, did not meet with an AdComm). I have considered writing a short letter, but was unsure if that is a no-no at this stage.

r6_philly

Re: How to avoid YP?

Postby r6_philly » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:29 pm

I am not speaking from experience, but if I were in your position I would write a simple and sincere email inquiring about your status and stating that you are really interested in attending if admitted. If you want to compose a short "why x" essay, you should do that and attach to it. I guess it would have helped if you incorporate that theme into your application, but since you did, you can add it to the letter and ask them to amend it to your file. Many school allow you to send in "any addtional relavant information", so just keep it short and sweet. I have sent off revised PS and other additional documents and no school refused to take them, just keep it professional and nice.

gossipgirl

Postby gossipgirl » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:I am not speaking from experience, but if I were in your position I would write a simple and sincere email inquiring about your status and stating that you are really interested in attending if admitted. If you want to compose a short "why x" essay, you should do that and attach to it. I guess it would have helped if you incorporate that theme into your application, but since you did, you can add it to the letter and ask them to amend it to your file. Many school allow you to send in "any addtional relavant information", so just keep it short and sweet. I have sent off revised PS and other additional documents and no school refused to take them, just keep it professional and nice.

+1

Also, if you are looking to visit more schools, you should DEFINITELY meet with an admissions counselor or get your name down with them in some way than a tour which many people go on. When I met with an adcom from a T10 school for about 30 min, she told me that she would write up some notes from our meeting and put it in my admissions file. I think visiting a school is one of the best ways to avoid getting YP'ed so definitely keep this in mind.

njskatchmo

Postby njskatchmo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:28 pm

The best way to avoid YP is to make your profile worse. Consider failing a few classes, or retaking the LSAT's and bombing them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”