Admissions Qualifications

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Moore
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Admissions Qualifications

Postby Mr. Moore » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:26 pm

After a long deliberation, I have decided that I would like to pursue a law degree. With that in mind, I have several inquiries of where I stand a legitimate chance of getting into. Please consider all points in your overall assessment.

1) My undergraduate GPA was quite low (likely close to the 50th percentile) though I was a double major in Economics and Industrial Engineering at a top 25 engineering school. However, I already have earned a Project Management Masters with a GPA 3.65. Does that trump over my undergraduate GPA, and how well does a 3.65 stand among my peers?

2) I have 4 years professional engineering/project management experience. How much can that weigh in my favor?

3) As previously stated, I currently hold 3 degrees already. As such finances are already well into the red even though I have been working them down in my years of professional work. Are there opportunities to work part time while in law school? What are the most influential factors in obtaining financial grants/etc?

Finally, if the above information does in fact meet acceptable/good/great conditions for applying to a tier 1 or tier 2 law school, with my background what would be a required LSAT score for each step up or down the law school rankings ladder? Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

I also understand the information provided is hardly enough to ascertain a thorough analysis. However, my goal here is just to cover the broad strokes of where I might stand. I will check back and will provide more information as comments are received.

Thank you for your time as I sincerely appreciate all opinions and assistance in this matter.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 pm

Take LSAT

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby holydonkey » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:37 pm

Mr. Moore wrote:1) My undergraduate GPA was quite low (likely close to the 50th percentile) though I was a double major in Economics and Industrial Engineering at a top 25 engineering school. However, I already have earned a Project Management Masters with a GPA 3.65. Does that trump over my undergraduate GPA, and how well does a 3.65 stand among my peers?

2) I have 4 years professional engineering/project management experience. How much can that weigh in my favor?

3) As previously stated, I currently hold 3 degrees already. As such finances are already well into the red even though I have been working them down in my years of professional work. Are there opportunities to work part time while in law school? What are the most influential factors in obtaining financial grants/etc?


1) Grad gpa doesn't matter.
2) Engineering is good if you want IP law.
3) Not many. GPA/LSAT

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby kswiss » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:43 pm

Your GPA is vague. What is the actual number? LSAC counts every course at a college level before your receive your Bachelor degree, so many times your LSAC GPA is lower than your degree or degree institution GPA.

Full-time work experience between awarding of your bachelor's and applying to law school is usually seen as a good soft factor, and more so for some schools than others (Northwestern for example.)

Take the LSAT though. Theres a big difference between a 3.0 155 and a 3.0 175 with w/e.

User avatar
Lonagan
Posts: 338
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:03 pm

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby Lonagan » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:19 am

Why don't you want to be an engineer any more?

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby kaydish21 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:24 am

kswiss wrote:Your GPA is vague. What is the actual number? LSAC counts every course at a college level before your receive your Bachelor degree, so many times your LSAC GPA is lower than your degree or degree institution GPA.

Full-time work experience between awarding of your bachelor's and applying to law school is usually seen as a good soft factor, and more so for some schools than others (Northwestern for example.)

Take the LSAT though. Theres a big difference between a 3.0 155 and a 3.0 175 with w/e.


^ This is good advice. I would add on that an LSAT course is probably a very good investment (not kaplan) and there are lots of part time law school or evening programs available, especially depending on region. It really is undergraduate GPA that matters most, but all of the graduate work will be a good soft factor combined with your we.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: Admissions Qualifications

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:53 pm

Lonagan wrote:Why don't you want to be an engineer any more?


+1. Without a very high LSAT score, law school is probably a horrible idea considering your opportunity costs. Unless, of course, you really hate being an engineer. It seems improbable to me that anyone who has the skill set to get two engineering degrees would enjoy being a lawyer more than an engineer. We don't know your background or story, so take that with a grain of salt.

Edit: I guess you don't have two engineering degrees. Rather, an engineering degree and a masters in project management.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Houzy, idissent and 3 guests