Chances at University of Dayton

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mugrad06

Chances at University of Dayton

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 am

Just wondering if its possible I will get into UD with a 146/3.35 GPA. It's one of the remaining schools I have left to hear from. I do have a Masters and apparently they look at that - from their site - Graduate work indicates your motivation and can be a predictor of success in advanced degree programs, including law school. Work experience is considered, particularly if it coincides with the completion of your undergraduate degree. Extracurricular activities and volunteer/community service show your involvement and leadership experience as well as a commitment to the Marianist tradition of helping others in the community. - I worked for the United States Attorney's Office for 3 years during undergrad, and was an intern for the WV Legislature during grad school. And I did a lot of community service at school and still participate in events now esp Relay for Life (father is a cancer survivor).

I'm just getting really nervous and anxious. File has been in review since the beginning of Jan.

scribelaw

Re: Chances at University of Dayton

Postby scribelaw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am

UD's medians are 3.16 and 151. Their 25th percentile LSAT is 148. This means you have a slim chance, most likely.

The good news is, if you already have a master's degree, you're probably better off not getting in. I don't say this to be mean, but UD is not a good law school, and borrowing sticker, or about $145,000 at Dayton, is an objectively terrible thing to do. You will not get a job that will come close to allowing you to pay off that debt.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:37 am

just a side not to the debt thing - I have always wanted to into public service. And there was this wonderful act that was passed in 2007 - The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 that established a new public service loan forgiveness program. 10 yrs public service = loan forgiveness.

scribelaw

Postby scribelaw » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:40 am

mugrad06 wrote:just a side not to the debt thing - I have always wanted to into public service. And there was this wonderful act that was passed in 2007 - The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 that established a new public service loan forgiveness program. 10 yrs public service = loan forgiveness.

Ok. IBR is a good program that will make it more affordable. Still, though, it's going to be very hard to get a PI job out of UD Law. You'd have to find one in the Dayton area and it's in very hard times right now. Lots of job loss, etc.

I'm guessing you have room for improvement on the LSAT. Get the PowerScore Bibles, buy all the old PTs, spend four or so months of studying and improve your score. You could either get $$ at UD or get into a stronger regional school.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 am

Ive taken the LSAT 3 times. 1st 2 probably werent the best times to take it. But 3rd time - Starting studying in mid July, prep course from Kaplan. I was scoring in the mid 150s during, and even after when studying on my own. I really don't think I do well on Standardized tests (ACT score wasn't bad, but my GRE sucked! surprised my grad school let me in) I only went up 1 pt from my previous score. And honestly I don't think if I did take it again, I'd muster enough points to break into the mid 150s.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”