3.76, URM, What LSAT do I Need?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Knock

3.76, URM, What LSAT do I Need?

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:24 am

-3.76 LSDAS GPA
-Communication Studies Major
- TTT undergrad (CSU system)
- average to slightly above average letters of rec (nothing too great though)
-URM Mexican Male
-Average to weak softs (only notable ones are being on my fraternity's executive board, interning last summer and probably this upcoming summer at a law firm, and interning for an up and coming website)
-applying while still in UG so no significant work experience

Looking for a LSAT guestimate for:
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
CCN
Berkley
MVP
the rest of the T14
UCLA
USC

Also, what LSAT am I going to be needing to get a decent chunk of $ from:
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
CCN
Berkley
MVP
the rest of the T14
UCLA
USC

Thank you!

Edit: Also, a question: Are numbers expected to change much for the 2011 cycle from this year?

Tanicius

Re: 3.76, URM, What LSAT do I Need?

Postby Tanicius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:27 am

Get a 165 and you're pretty good at a lot of the T-14. Anything at 170 or above and you're probably a lock for Harvard. Y and S are harder to predict even for URM's, though you'd have pretty damn good chances with a 170+.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:34 am

Tanicius wrote:Get a 165 and you're pretty good at a lot of the T-14. Anything at 170 or above and you're probably a lock for Harvard. Y and S are harder to predict even for URM's, though you'd have pretty damn good chances with a 170+.

Thank you! I actually scored 165 on a proctored diagnostic from Kaplan that I took for free on campus, after about a month of study. Had made it through the LGB, and all the LG from 19-38 so I was able to get -3 on LG, but I was still somewhere around Ch. 5 on the LRB so I got a -13 on LR (both sections combined), and what I was hoping would be my strength, RC, I got -3 (including an incredible 2 misbubbles unfortunately, I wasn't ready for the sheer mental fatigue and didn't check my bubles; oh well, it was a learning experience). Still I guess that 165 is kind of cheapened because I had already done the LG (albeit at least a couple of weeks earlier and not in order, I went through LG by type), and a few of the LR too. Oh well, it has given me a little bit of confidence that I can do well on the LSAT. Hopefully I can get up to 170+ and pull it off on test day.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:46 am

URM cycles can be unpredictable, especially Hispanic. I would imagine you get around a 5-8 pt boost.

Going through LSN profiles could be helpful (here's a search for hispanic URMs with, keep in mind some of these people might not get a boost since many schools only consider puerto rican + mexican as URM):

http://search.lawschoolnumbers.com/user ... Cycle=0809

And as for money- Yale and Harvard typically don't offer merit aid. Not sure about Stanford.

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:55 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:URM cycles can be unpredictable, especially Hispanic. I would imagine you get around a 5-8 pt boost.

Going through LSN profiles could be helpful (here's a search for hispanic URMs with, keep in mind some of these people might not get a boost since many schools only consider puerto rican + mexican as URM):

And as for money- Yale and Harvard typically don't offer merit aid. Not sure about Stanford.

Thank you for your input. I did, on your advice, go through LSN, but it didn't seem too helpful due to the relatively small sample size and the fact no one matched up with me super closely.

I'm mainly looking for some kind of LSAT number to shoot for, a goal which I can set. I was thinking 173 would be a good goal for me (challenging yet realistic/possible, and high enough to get me into some really amazing schools).

Anyways, thank you again!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:08 am

Knockglock wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:URM cycles can be unpredictable, especially Hispanic. I would imagine you get around a 5-8 pt boost.

Thank you for your input. I did, on your advice, go through LSN, but it didn't seem too helpful due to the relatively small sample size and the fact no one matched up with me super closely.

I'm mainly looking for some kind of LSAT number to shoot for, a goal which I can set. I was thinking 173 would be a good goal for me (challenging yet realistic/possible, and high enough to get me into some really amazing schools).

Anyways, thank you again!

Well my knowledge on URM cycles is limited but here is what I would assume:

Shoot for:
~173-174 for HY
~170 for CCN
~165 for MVPDCNG

You might get less of a boost at USC, UCLA, and Berkeley.

You can trying searching for older cycles in LSN too, but keep in mind that cycles more than 2-3 years old are less helpful in predicting future cycles.

Anyone reading this with better knowledge, feel free to correct.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”