Resume Length

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Perjury

Resume Length

Postby Perjury » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 am

I know the ideal length of a resume is 1 page. How hurtful would it be to send a resume that is 1.5 pages long to law schools. Thanks.

bluepepsi

Re: Resume Length

Postby bluepepsi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:29 am

I sent a two-page long resume to all my schools... and I'm an undergrad. I know a lot of people say that your resume should be one page, but I think law schools are more lenient. Berkeley, for example, says they want you to list even insignificant or minor jobs.

In my case, this is what convinced me that two pages would be okay: http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

I figured, if Harvard is willing to list a sample resume that happens to be two pages (the third example listed), then that probably means they will accept two-page resumes. With other schools, I asked admissions representatives at law school fairs and they indicated it was fine.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:30 am

I sent a 2 pager. There is no way to list all my relevant experiences on one page if I just used places and titles. I think if you are just out of undergrad them 1 page should be the guide. If you are like me then if things are relavent to your strength as a law student then include it.

Harvard has a bunch of sample resumes on their admissions site that are 2 pagers for people with WE. CV's are unlimited length so I don't think schools will be too picky on length unless you fill it with useless info.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:33 am

bluepepsi wrote:I sent a two-page long resume to all my schools... and I'm an undergrad. I know a lot of people say that your resume should be one page, but I think law schools are more lenient. Berkeley, for example, says they want you to list even insignificant or minor jobs.

In my case, this is what convinced me that two pages would be okay: http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/ ... urces.html

I figured, if Harvard is willing to list a sample resume that happens to be two pages (the third example listed), then that probably means they will accept two-page resumes. With other schools, I asked admissions representatives at law school fairs and they indicated it was fine.

resume 3 is over 1 page because his first job description is extensive. If he did 3-4 bullet points without sub bullets it would be a 1 pager easily. So make sure you are not over doing the descriptions (I am not saying that his is, because it is an impressive position but ... it is a bit much). But the point is by those samples that it is ok to go over 1 page if it is reasonable to go over it.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:26 am

So I am only a year out of undergraduate, but I have had over 10 jobs (started young), plus a decent sized volunteer work section. As is my resume is 1.5 pages. I can get all my work experience on one page but not sure how I can cram my education/volunteer/awards on it as well.

spanktheduck

Postby spanktheduck » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:44 am

Tiva wrote:So I am only a year out of undergraduate, but I have had over 10 jobs (started young), plus a decent sized volunteer work section. As is my resume is 1.5 pages. I can get all my work experience on one page but not sure how I can cram my education/volunteer/awards on it as well.

I have a dificult time believing that all 10 jobs are relevant. Law schools don't care that you worked as a bagger when you were in high school

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:09 am

I have read that Berkley asks you to list menial jobs. Anyways, my menial jobs weren't taking up much room. With some finesse and editing of descriptions I have indeed been able to maintain practically all my information and knock it down to one page. My only issue atm, is that I don't have any descriptions for my volunteer work (founded a couple outreach programs -- that the titles alone are not that informative).

EDIT: managed to get my descriptions for the two volunteer programs and stay on one page... never thought this would be possible.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:22 am

I have two resumes: one that's a one pager, and one that's a CV/resume hybrid that's 1.5 pages. I'm sending the shorter one to most schools and the longer one to schools like BU that require you to list every job ever.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Tiva wrote:So I am only a year out of undergraduate, but I have had over 10 jobs (started young), plus a decent sized volunteer work section. As is my resume is 1.5 pages. I can get all my work experience on one page but not sure how I can cram my education/volunteer/awards on it as well.

Most schools have a question on the app itself about listing/describing volunteer/extracurricular activities.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”