Failed a degree

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
benjaminbutton23
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Failed a degree

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:48 pm

If in the middle of your first semester or end of your first semester of law school, going to a T20 school, you find out you did not pass your graduate degree program, but have your bachelor's which of course is required to matriculate, could that cause a student to be kicked out of law school? As someone who always tends to fear the worst when it comes to exam results, if that happened, what would a law school probably do? Has anyone experienced anything similar?

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:50 pm

benjaminbutton23 wrote:If in the middle of your first semester or end of your first semester of law school, going to a T20 school, you find out you did not pass your graduate degree program, but have your bachelor's which of course is required to matriculate, could that cause a student to be kicked out of law school? As someone who always tends to fear the worst when it comes to exam results, if that happened, what would a law school probably do? Has anyone experienced anything similar?


I'm confused. You applied with a graduate degree than you ended up not receiving? If that is the case, then just go to the admissions office and let them know and ask what to do. I don't see why they would kick you out over it unless you lied about your grades or said the degree had already been awarded.

benjaminbutton23
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Its more of a case where the difference between passing the degree or not rests mainly on exam results at the end, and whether one has passed or not isn't found out until the middle of the semester or even later the following school year in the fall, meaning its kind of up in the air on whether one has passed until results come way way after the exams at the end

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 pm

As long as you didn't represent in your application that the degree had been awarded, I think you are fine. If you say "Ben Button, PhD" when you apply you might have an issue, but if you say "Expected degree date" then you are fine. You have made a good faith representation. Talk to the admission office as soon as your are accepted and don't spend the next year worrying about it.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Failed a degree

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:57 pm

jks289 wrote:As long as you didn't represent in your application that the degree had been awarded, I think you are fine. If you say "Ben Button, PhD" when you apply you might have an issue, but if you say "Expected degree date" then you are fine. You have made a good faith representation. Talk to the admission office as soon as your are accepted and don't spend the next year worrying about it.

I concur with this solid advice.

User avatar
Snoopy1216
Posts: 255
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby Snoopy1216 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:59 pm

jks289 wrote:As long as you didn't represent in your application that the degree had been awarded, I think you are fine. If you say "Ben Button, PhD" when you apply you might have an issue, but if you say "Expected degree date" then you are fine. You have made a good faith representation. Talk to the admission office as soon as your are accepted and don't spend the next year worrying about it.


+1 Yeah, as long as you did not say you already had the degree, it should be fine. Admissions know what kind of degree/process you have. They will undoubtedly understand that the test results come late, thus you would have had no way of knowing that you did not pass.

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Failed a degree

Postby strokes788 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:49 am

+1

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby kaydish21 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:31 am

Now here's the real question.... Did you say you already had a degree????

benjaminbutton23
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:30 am

No, in my application I said I'd be pursuing a master's degree in x subject at x school during the '09/'10 school yearl, and in my resume I wrote expected award date of the diploma, not that I had already received the degree, because I haven't, I'm in the middle of the one year program right now. I definitely clearly stated I had not received the degree yet and gave a future diploma date when the degree would be awarded (if I pass)

strokes788
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Failed a degree

Postby strokes788 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:28 am

I think you'll be okay?

mhernton
Posts: 174
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby mhernton » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:36 am

You have to work really hard to fail a Master's Program. It doesn't look good for Schools to fail students they admit. You may have gotten a C in the coursework, but even in a Master's Program that is still passing, not good for bragging rights, but passing. You school may have a rule about having a certain cumulative average, but the professors know this and are aware of the borderline students, so don't sweat it too much. The curve works both ways....Oh and I concur with everyone else...

benjaminbutton23
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby benjaminbutton23 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:25 am

Unfortunately its a graduate school in the UK so the system is different, they seem to be pretty okay with failing a student at the drop of a hat, and they don't use the ABC etc scale of grading, but yeah I just hope the law school doesn't flip out and throw me out in the middle of the first semester or something over it, which would compound what would already be the embarrassment of not passing a master's degree program

Snuffie
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Failed a degree

Postby Snuffie » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:41 am

benjaminbutton23 wrote:Unfortunately its a graduate school in the UK so the system is different, they seem to be pretty okay with failing a student at the drop of a hat, and they don't use the ABC etc scale of grading, but yeah I just hope the law school doesn't flip out and throw me out in the middle of the first semester or something over it, which would compound what would already be the embarrassment of not passing a master's degree program


I'm confused. Your question is hypothetical, yes?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bearedman8, Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests