Harvard phone interview

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
icydash

Harvard phone interview

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Well...since I'm not applying to Harvard and don't ever plan on it...and have always wondered this...I figured I'd ask: what do they ask you in the phone interview? what's it like?

I've always been really curious about the phone interview(s).

Re: Harvard phone interview

Postby 20121109 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:08 pm

This has been heavily discussed in the Harvard 2010 thread.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:16 pm

this yr, Josh Rubenstein took over HLS admissions, so its a tad diff from when Toby Stock did it (which was a bit more random in scheduling and questions varied a bit more)

JR tells you ahead of time what the questions are and sets up an hour on a specific date for the phone interview

3 questions:

what have you been up to (or something on your resume), why law, and why harvard law?

then he'll ask if you have any questions for him

of course sometimes he may ask something more specific if you are somewhat unique (as far as your PS or resume goes) and for some he asked how they would deal w/ the stress of law school (whether they had a support system)

but those 3 questions are the primary (general) 3 this cycle

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:this yr, Josh Rubenstein took over HLS admissions, so its a tad diff from when Toby Stock did it (which was a bit more random in scheduling and questions varied a bit more)

JR tells you ahead of time what the questions are and sets up an hour on a specific date for the phone interview

3 questions:

what have you been up to (or something on your resume), why law, and why harvard law?

then he'll ask if you have any questions for him

of course sometimes he may ask something more specific if you are somewhat unique (as far as your PS or resume goes) and for some he asked how they would deal w/ the stress of law school (whether they had a support system)

but those 3 questions are the primary (general) 3 this cycle

Cool, thanks! Sounds fairly basic, but I imagine "why law" or "why harvard law" is addressed in many peoples' personal statements in some capacity. It seems redundant to ask these kinds of questions again.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm

icydash wrote:
Cool, thanks! Sounds fairly basic, but I imagine "why law" or "why harvard law" is addressed in many peoples' personal statements in some capacity. It seems redundant to ask these kinds of questions again.

I'd like to think really interesting PS's do not contain answers to those questions ;)

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
icydash wrote:

I'd like to think really interesting PS's do not contain answers to those questions ;)

Haha depends, I tend to have a good narrative as my personal statement, but always try and weave in "why law" if only for a sentence or two.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:14 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I am also interested in this, so I know how to more accurately pretend while talking into my child's toy phone and crying into my rejection email.

lol this is an amazing image

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”