What's worse? Waiting for...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

LSAT score
30%
admissions decisions
61%
law school grades
6%
callbacks
4%

Total votes: 114

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:34 pm

I know probably most in this forum have not had to wait for grades or callbacks yet, but, in that case, answer what you think will be worse.

I thought that my anxiety level would drop significantly once I received the LSAT score I wanted, because three of the top 5 schools I want to get into are LSAT whores. Now that I got the score I wanted, I've simply shifted my worries to much more trivial, petty stuff. "What if the one LOR I couldn't review was bad because the professor I had write it was having a bad day." "What if there is some speeding ticket that I forgot about that I didn't mention." Or whatever totally irrational thing that could kill my cycle.

It doesn't help that the prospect of spending one more year at my current job makes me want to killself.

GentlemanJim

Re: What's worse? Waiting for...

Postby GentlemanJim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm

You are posting this on a day that a significant number of people are waiting for LSAT scores to be released. Possible skewing facor.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

The LSAT has such relatively definitive dates as compared to decisions, that it wasn't completely terrible. I picked Admission Decisions because of the spread.

Moreover, once you finish the LSAT, you're so ready to decompress that some of the time moves by quickly (for me, that first week I was just so happy to not spend every spare minute taking a practice test that I just forgot about it)

Also, to Gentleman Jim's point - there's also a skewing factor to admission decisions, as a massive due date just occurred and many are receiving decisions...as we speak

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:You are posting this on a day that a significant number of people are waiting for [strike]LSAT scores to be released[/strike] decisions. Possible skewing facor.

Yes, I know.

SAE

Postby SAE » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 pm

90% of TLS'ers probably have no idea about waiting on callbacks and what it's like. 60% could probably tell you nothing about waiting on grades...

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 pm

I picked admission decisons because of the cumulative anxiety. The LSAT is a single thing so it is easy to focus on and be more anxious about. But in the end add up all the stress of hearing about admissions waves, status checker updates, thinking you would give ANYTHING to get into your dream school, anger at the YP waitlists and when someone with lower numbers is in and you are out, or submitted after you and is in before. Then the waitlists and scholarship offers, and on and on and on. It is no wonder everyone on this site is a wreck.

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:21 pm

Well apparently I was wrong. I can tell you that I personally am losing my shit waiting for score release.

Tanicius

Postby Tanicius » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:23 pm

GentlemanJim wrote:Well apparently I was wrong. I can tell you that I personally am losing my shit waiting for score release.

I was in the same position in September, and I agree. The LSAT wait was brutal.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:27 pm

I agree that the LSAT score waiting was brutal. For whatever reason, it made me crazy. I think it's because when you apply to schools, they are in control, ultimately it is up to them. For the LSAT, its all about you, it is about seeing results of what you worked for and you know you earned it.

Edit: As for the guy who who said most don't know about waiting for callbacks or grades, he is probably right. I could see grades being just as bad as the the LSAT score, but most people have applied and interviewed to jobs they really wanted or needed before, I just cannot see callbacks being that bad.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:56 pm

From what I have heard from anyone who has actually had to wait for grades, those are the worst. So, that gets my vote.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:03 pm

My guess is that the real answer to this question is "whatever you are waiting for at the time." :)

asdfff

Postby asdfff » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:08 pm

I can't say much about grades or callbacks--although I bet waiting for callbacks is probably the real winner--but I voted for lsat over hearing from schools. I had no idea what to expect lsat score wise and it is such a determining factor. At least with schools I have a vague idea about when and what I will hear.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:43 pm

asdfff wrote:I can't say much about grades or callbacks--although I bet waiting for callbacks is probably the real winner--but I voted for lsat over hearing from schools. I had no idea what to expect lsat score wise and it is such a determining factor. At least with schools I have a vague idea about when and what I will hear.

+1

you can usually have an good idea about call backs. If you really did well you wouldn't have to wait for callbacks.

OneKnight

Postby OneKnight » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Having waited for 3 LSAT scores, I can definitely say waiting for admissions decisions has been MUCH worse. You only have to worry/bite fingernails for about a week around the release date.
In contrast, I've been holding my breath since November and probably won't exhale until the first day of classes (WL goes all summer long :P)

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:45 pm

Grades are the least predictable/have the least margin for error relative to their import.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:45 pm

rayiner wrote:Grades are the least predictable/have the least margin for error relative to their import.

That's what I'm thinking. Although I haven't experienced it yet, it would seem that they would be the most subjective/arbitrary, especially given that we now have LSN exposing just how numbers-driven admissions are at most schools. I knew generally what I was going to get on the LSAT, and I know (despite my current paranoia) that I'm going to be in at a few T1 schools at the very least. Trying to find out exactly how to write to get a professor to give you an A on an essay exam in a curved class when competing against cream-of-the-crop students probably feels like trying to find your way out of a Kafka novel after ingesting LSD.

placencia

Postby placencia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:07 am

I was in Turkey on a bus when I got my LSAT score, and it posted at like one in the morning Turkey time. I was on a three week vacation, so didn't have the chance to really get too nervous or anything. I remember the night it happened though, because the bus had WiFi and I was on my iTouch checking news and mail. Events happened in the following order:

1. Farrah Fawcett dead...oh, damn! That's a shame, I liked her.
2. An hour later. Michael Jackson dead. No, seriously, are you kidding? Wow, I am so glad I am not in the U.S. for the media storm THIS will create.
3. 30 minutes later. LSAT score released. Wow, okay, this is good...and for the next hour my conversation with my friend consisted of all law school stuff.

Waiting on school replies is definitely worse.

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Had this thread been posted in the forum for law students, the outcome would have been wildly different.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:16 pm

I think the answer depends on the person. If you did well on the LSAT, then there is nothing to fear from the admissions process. If you did shitty on the LSAT then you have more to fear.

HOPPER4213

Postby HOPPER4213 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:43 am

There is absolutely no doubt that waiting for the LSAT stimulates the most anxiety and thus is the worst wait on the list. That one score is the difference between going to Harvard or UTexas, or winding up a T50 or worse. The wait for final decisions on your applications, while is quite arduous, is much less anxiety ridden, bc you have a pretty good idea of the schools that you are going to be accepted to and those that you might not want to hold your breath for. Im not saying that waiting for acceptance is fun or not a pretty rough wait, but nothing compares to sitting around wondering if you missed something on one of the games, and a 155 is waiting around the corner. The difference between a 158 and 167 is huge, the difference between getting into NYU or Texas with that 167 is easier to swallow in my opinion.

By the way im a 161/3.79 guy if your interested.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”