POLL: how long before LS are you quitting your job?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How long before LS are you quitting your job?

Going straight into law school
7%
1 - 15 days
19%
16 - 30 days
27%
31 - 45 days
19%
46 - 60 days
8%
61 - 90 days
9%
91 +
5%
Not applicable to me (want to see the results)
7%

Total votes: 230

erico

Re: POLL: how long before LS are you quitting your job?

Postby erico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm

bworsowicz wrote:Law school starts on a Monday in most cases, so I will probably be leaving my job the previous Friday. I got mouths to feed.

I will give myself a week or so to settle into a new apartment but I can't justify throwing away any more perfectly good $.

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:54 am

Last edited by pearl_earrings on Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jitsrenzo

Postby jitsrenzo » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:08 pm

THAT is a great idea. I'm thinking of doing the same thing, except couchsurfing, sleeping in my own car, or occasionally staying in a motel. Gotta live life before I die.

JCougar wrote:My plan was to circumnavigate the country in a rental car, starting in Florida and then going through New Orleans, Austin, Marfa, Santa Fe, Vegas, LA, San Fransisco, Portland, Seattle and then back through Denver, St. Louis, Bloomington IN, Philly, DC, Chapel Hill, Charleston, Savannah and then back to Florida. You can get monthly rentals from Hertz for about $650 if you get a tiny car with unlimited mileage. I'd be paying that much for rent anyways, but this way I can move out a month early (I have a month-to-month lease). I plan on bringing an Aero Bed and staying with friends along the way. I've got someone I can stay with in over half those cities, thus cutting down on hotel costs.

The only thing that would cost a ton outside of that would be gas and food, but I could just eat sandwiches from a cooler most of the time.
Oh, and alcohol.

It depends where I get in, though. If I get into all my target schools, I'll have to treat myself. Also depends on how much I can save up. My goal is to save enough so that I can live off of savings during 1L. I almost have enough already, so between now and July, I need to save up about another $2K for the trip. Also, I am a bit worried that all that driving would be tiresome after about a week or to. I love to drive, though, and a freind or two might join me for part of the way.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:12 pm

End of July :? Am I the only person who is not counting down the days?! I'm sort of sad, I really like my job!

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 pm

July 1st for me! Don't know how I will make rent and DON'T CARE! haha

ogman05

Postby ogman05 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:23 pm

It really depends for me. I I get SEO then I will leave my job at the end of May. If no SEO then I will prob leave somewhere between mid to end july and leave a few weeks to settle in at UVA and relax. Maybe travel. Wanted to go see some relatives out of country. So I put the average in the poll. But is seo prob a week or two off (im hoping at least). No seo = about a month off.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 pm

Probably until July 16. I have vacation time to get me $$$ through the end of August. Plan on moving last week of July.

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:34 pm

Probably may, then off on a month vacation, then apartment hunting in June via interwebs and flying to citiy of what ever law school i'll be matriculating at. July = Boozecuise, videojeuegos, reading, whiskey + couch, sex. August = road trip/moving to new school. September through may 2013 = hell.

ruleser

Postby ruleser » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:47 pm

Answer keeps changing. Originally was going to take part of june and all of july and europe it. But not only does my killer paying job now not suck and say I can come in late next year if I do ls pt, but I spoke w/our legal dept and they will let me work with them on cases, as well as in contracts.

So, my hord cash and leave the job to trounce europe before ls may be giving way to keep six-fig job while getting a near-free ride to a pt prog while working on med-mal cases and contracts. I'm in at least one ft prog with a nice schol I'd love to take, and have saved up enough to cover 1L col and then some, but its very tempting to think about not leaving the job I was counting the days on and ending up with a massive bank account, legal exp, and a law degree.

Ask me in a few weeks there may be a different answer, as in back to leaving before july to spend my last summer playing wanderer.

haroldfordIII

Postby haroldfordIII » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:50 am

Here is a question: How much notice will you give to your manager before you leave? Standard 2 weeks? 1 month? 6 weeks? What if you are involved with a big project?

jumpropeck

Postby jumpropeck » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:58 am

haroldfordIII wrote:Here is a question: How much notice will you give to your manager before you leave? Standard 2 weeks? 1 month? 6 weeks? What if you are involved with a big project?

I'm 14 months in on a large project. I gave my manager the heads up 2 weeks ago just because I felt it was the right thing to do. She's always done right by me and I would have felt terrible leaving her out to dry because this project is slated to go through the end of the year and I will need to be replaced.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 am

Going to quit about a month before LS starts and travel / enjoy the beach

ihurtmyselftoday

Postby ihurtmyselftoday » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:59 am

Ha, none of the above for me. I actually won't be officially out of a job until the second week of September. I'm just going to take the terminal leave (paid) for my last 30 days in order to attend school.

Recovery time? Who needs it?

The Pen Is Mightier

Postby The Pen Is Mightier » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 am

June 18. Got mad cake in the fridge.

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:06 am

beesknees wrote:I wanted to walk out when I got my acceptance . But I'll be sticking it out until mid July so that I can save up a little more $$ for the move to LS and to not be completely broke until the student loan disbursements.

+100000000 :lol:

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 am

missvik218 wrote:End of July :? Am I the only person who is not counting down the days?! I'm sort of sad, I really like my job!

No, I'm with you. Of course I'm excited about driving cross country to (likely) attend Berkeley(!) But I've really enjoyed my time here. My last day will be July 29.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:17 am

4/23!
Then, I am going to South America for 100 days!!! Columbia->Ecuador->Peru->Bolivia->Chile->Argentina!!

dudders

Postby dudders » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:22 am

I'm in the last week of July/August 1st boat. I want a couple weeks off to move to wherever I'm moving at a slovenly place, enjoy the Rockies one last time in high summer, see friends, etc. Trying to make as much money as a I can too - moving is expensive, and I spent eight months last working in restaurants after I got laid off. Plus the law firm I work at now doesn't pay out for unused vacation. On the upside, that means I guess I'll just have to take 2 weeks off between mid-april and mid-july :)

Schrute Farms Beets

Postby Schrute Farms Beets » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 am

baboon309 wrote:4/23!
Then, I am going to South America for 100 days!!! Columbia->Ecuador->Peru->Bolivia->Chile->Argentina!!

Jealous! I spent a summer in Peru for study abroad and LOVED it!

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:27 am

This is probably the best part of being a teacher in this situation, I will be done the first week in June, but I will still be receiving my escrowed paychecks until August!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:37 am

When do loan disbursements usually show up? 1st day of school?

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:55 am

My AmeriCorps term doesn't end until Aug. 21st so chances are I'll be going right to law school from work. Awesome.

dibs

Postby dibs » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:48 am

bah. the question is 'how do i stay motivated enough UNTIL i leave my job". getting through every day is becoming harder and harder.

my situation is going to suck. i have a mortgage here in canada and i have to organize a life move down to the states. i figure i need at the very least a month to figure everything out and get all the logistics in order... both in law school and housing arrangements and fixing up my own house and finding renters.

i also want time to relax. i figure if i have to be present mid-august for orientation and commencement, i'll have to be moved in at least a week prior. maybe an early july exit? missing out on 3 paychecks is really going to hurt. c'est la vie.

i figure i'll cash out my 2 weeks of vacation and at least 1 week of banked time to mitigate it as much as possible.

so, if my last day of work is June 30th, there are 98 days left!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”