Exluding transcripts, a big no no?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Sicsofs

Exluding transcripts, a big no no?

Postby Sicsofs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:05 pm

Okay, I am 32. I started going to college at age 18 and went off and on till i was 24. During that time i amassed 140ish credits. My grade were so so, overall. I am finishing up my last 2 years at a State university and am on track to graduate summa cum laude. When all is said and done i will have roughly 200 undgergraduate credits. Within that 200 credits there are 30 credits, all from the same school that are murdering my lsac gpa. They lower the cumalative by .4. When i start applying and sending out transcripts could i just exlude that school? Would they know? Just how unethical is it? I mean i was a child, how badly should i be punished. I am obviously a different person and student. Or should i just do an addendum and own the lower gpa.

PK2

$1.99

Re: Exluding transcripts, a big no no?

Postby $1.99 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:07 pm

this is one huge no no, use your common sense friend, they require every transcript and this is clearly stated everywhere

gymboree

Postby gymboree » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Okay, I am 32. I started going to college at age 18 and went off and on till i was 24. During that time i amassed 140ish credits. My grade were so so, overall. I am finishing up my last 2 years at a State university and am on track to graduate summa cum laude. When all is said and done i will have roughly 200 undgergraduate credits. Within that 200 credits there are 30 credits, all from the same school that are murdering my lsac gpa. They lower the cumalative by .4. When i start applying and sending out transcripts could i just exlude that school? Would they know? Just how unethical is it? I mean i was a child, how badly should i be punished. I am obviously a different person and student. Or should i just do an addendum and own the lower gpa.

PK2

Disclose, disclose, disclose - just write the addendum. For some schools it just won't matter (hint: look at my cycle), and will consider only the grades from this millennia. Others, well, others just care about the numbers no matter when they happened. But, oh, my goodness, you do not want to have to answer for this at the bar ethics committee after you've spent 3 years and $150,000 to gamble on that .4 -- it's not worth it!!!

shoop

Postby shoop » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

Yeah... some college credits I earned during high school made my LSDAS GPA take a big shit. There's nothing you can do but hope that they see the upward trend in your grades now that you've stayed at one school for a couple years. My understanding is that the transcript report will show each transcript's (adjusted) GPA separately in addition to the overall UG GPA, and there will be info for each school showing how your GPA compares, percentile-wise, with other law school applicants who went to that school around the same time you did.

sundevil77

Postby sundevil77 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

Definitely submit the grades. A good addendum should have no problem explaining the difference. Just curious...how would the bar find out if he disclosed all of his transcripts or not?

Sicsofs

Postby Sicsofs » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks guys! I was doing the math and it just really pissed me off that one school from a more than a decade ago was hurting me so badly. So I figured I would ask before doing anything too stupid. Do they even read the addendums or will the computer do an auto-reject if your gpa is off. I have not done enough homework on the admission process and the actual standards they use. Anybody got a forum link so i can understand a little better.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:24 pm

Sicsofs wrote:Thanks guys! I was doing the math and it just really pissed me off that one school from a more than a decade ago was hurting me so badly. So I figured I would ask before doing anything too stupid. Do they even read the addendums or will the computer do an auto-reject if your gpa is off. I have not done enough homework on the admission process and the actual standards they use. Anybody got a forum link so i can understand a little better.

It won't be an auto reject if you LSAT is at least at their median. Even then adcoms claim to at least read each app.

hsprophet

Postby hsprophet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:40 pm

The transcript of your recent school probably shows the transfer credits from the first school, so it will be a flag to the law school if they don't have it.

I actually have some college credits from high school. I didn't have that transcript sent seperately, as it wasn't really a college I attended. Those credits are shown on my university transcript.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”