Question regarding driver's license expiration

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Bobalou

Question regarding driver's license expiration

Postby Bobalou » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:48 pm

Some of the applications asked for my Driver's License # and now, months later, I have to go in and renew it. Do I need to notify these schools of the new info?

Onion

Re: Question regarding driver's license expiration

Postby Onion » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:50 pm

Bobalou wrote:Some of the applications asked for my Driver's License # and now, months later, I have to go in and renew it. Do I need to notify these schools of the new info?

I could be mistaken and it may be a state-by-state thing, but don't you get the same number? You might want to check with the DMV.

mugrad06

Postby mugrad06 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 pm

Def check with your DMV. I know the last 2 times I have renewed mine (when I turned 21 then 25) then number stayed the same.

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Hmm, I just assumed it would be a different number and that this might cause some sort of confusion down the line with the affected apps. I'm in New York and on my way to the DMV now, hoping the number stays the same...thanks!!

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:56 pm

Bobalou wrote:Hmm, I just assumed it would be a different number and that this might cause some sort of confusion down the line with the affected apps. I'm in New York and on my way to the DMV now, hoping the number stays the same...thanks!!

I just renewed in NY. Number stays the same.

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:00 pm

RMstratosphere wrote:
I just renewed in NY. Number stays the same.

Thanks!!! Gotta love it when the forums answer questions this quickly and accurately!!!!! :P

too old for this sh*

Postby too old for this sh* » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:10 am

while there could always be a State that does things differently, DL numbers follow you for life. The only people that have had to deal with two are usually those who were in a State that used to use SSN as the DL number and made the change to some other numbering system...and some States likely have a provision for a new number to be issued in cases of pervasive identity theft (similar to the SSN provisions for new issuance).

And yes...at first, I was like "WTF" about the question...then I remembered we have a lot of kids on this site who are probably just getting to the expiry of their first ever DL :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”