LSAT correlates to success in law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hotdoglaw

Bronze

LSAT correlates to success in law school

Post by hotdoglaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:56 am

If the LSAT correlates to the success an applicant will have in law school and, as can be seen by looking at nearly any chart on LSN, URMs are often admitted with a far lower LSAT score than other applicants, does this not result in URMs being placed in an environment where they will have a lot of difficulty succeeding and be seriously disadvantaged?

SAE

Silver

Re: LSAT correlates to success in law school

Post by SAE » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:58 am

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 am

hotdoglaw wrote:If the LSAT correlates to the success an applicant will have in law school and, as can be seen by looking at nearly any chart on LSN, URMs are often admitted with a far lower LSAT score than other applicants, does this not result in URMs being placed in an environment where they will have a lot of difficulty succeeding and be seriously disadvantaged?
URMs as a group do as well as their LSAT would predict. But success over their career doesn't seem to be harmed at all because firms will hire for diversity and when in the firm they don't under perform.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:13 am

Desert Fox wrote:
hotdoglaw wrote:If the LSAT correlates to the success an applicant will have in law school and, as can be seen by looking at nearly any chart on LSN, URMs are often admitted with a far lower LSAT score than other applicants, does this not result in URMs being placed in an environment where they will have a lot of difficulty succeeding and be seriously disadvantaged?
URMs as a group do as well as their LSAT would predict.
Source?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 am

Desert Fox wrote:
URMs as a group do as well as their LSAT would predict. But success over their career doesn't seem to be harmed at all because firms will hire for diversity and when in the firm they don't under perform.
Key is that LSAT is a "good predictor" of how well one does in law school, not of one's career success as an attorney.
Also.. i don't see how you actually care about the answer to your question. If you are not URM, then why would you care if a section of your class is at a disadvantage. it makes things advantageous for you. And if, in fact, they are not disadvantaged, then I guess you have to work hard. Which is what you should have been planning to do anyway.

Opinion time: as a URM, I would argue that URMs are placed into an environment where they may have a lot of difficulty succeeding and be seriously disadvantaged the day they come out of the womb.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am

Really? ANOTHER of these threads?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:34 am

JordynAsh wrote:Really? ANOTHER of these threads?

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:36 am

by posting in it, you've made it show up in your "view your posts" link as well.. by the way, is there a way to effectively "untag" a thread you've posted in? Been wondering that for a while.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 am

yeah these are stupid. As a current law student, I can tell oyu no one gives a crap about your LSAT score in law school. Here's the secret of doing well- 1. study you butt off, non-stop; 2. pay attention in class; 3. be very organized with your time and study resources; 4. sleep/exercise/eat healthy to avoid illness.

These threads arguing about the value of the LSAT or URMs or whatever else are a waste of time. Seriously- you arent going to change the system. Learn how to work within it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UofO

New

Post by UofO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 am

vyelps wrote:yeah these are stupid. As a current law student, I can tell oyu no one gives a crap about your LSAT score in law school. Here's the secret of doing well- 1. study you butt off, non-stop; 2. pay attention in class; 3. be very organized with your time and study resources; 4. sleep/exercise/eat healthy to avoid illness.

These threads arguing about the value of the LSAT or URMs or whatever else are a waste of time. Seriously- you arent going to change the system. Learn how to work within it.
+ fucking 1.

slider

Bronze

Post by slider » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 am

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:17 pm

eudaimondaimon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Source?
--LinkRemoved--

Page 61 is where the results are found. While it shocking that 51% of black law students end up in the bottom 10%, it is what the LSAT predicts will happen.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:20 pm

+ fucking 1
Not just a +1, a plus fucking 1, there is a difference.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:39 pm

slider wrote:Very good study: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7_xHsce57c
fwiw, looks like the guy says it outright at 12:30: the LSAC has an even better predictive validity for AA's than for whites.

eudaimondaimon

New

Post by eudaimondaimon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
eudaimondaimon wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Source?
--LinkRemoved--

Page 61 is where the results are found. While it shocking that 51% of black law students end up in the bottom 10%, it is what the LSAT predicts will happen.
Gratze. That is shocking.
SAE wrote:
fwiw, looks like the guy says it outright at 12:30: the LSAC has an even better predictive validity for AA's than for whites.
I had watched the video, but when he said that I didn't know whether to to take it as meaning the LSAT had a better predictive validity for AA students with respect to other AA students, or rather with respect to the entire class. It's an important distinction that I wish was more clearly communicated.

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote: --LinkRemoved--

Desert Fox,
On page 65 it shows that blacks are in the bottom decile less frequently at other schools (pg 61 is elite schools only). I suppose that the 14% in the bottom decile at historically minority colleges is because those colleges still attract mostly minorities.
I was pretty shocked at his conclusion "Perhaps most remarkably, a strong case can be made that in the legal education system as a whole, racial preferences end up producing fewer black lawyers each year than would be produced by a race-blind system.8 Affirmative action as currently practiced by the nation’s law schools does not, therefore, pass even the easiest test one can set. In systemic, objective terms, it hurts the group it is most designed to help."

I had heard that argument before but I never saw any data to back it up.

Geesh106

New

Post by Geesh106 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:18 pm

The LSAT correlates to how successful of a law school you get into.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:20 pm

SAE wrote:
The thing is, the LSAT correlates more directly to bar passage rate than grades, because grades are also dependent on the level of competition (including the LSAT scores of your peers). So while AAs do poorly in classes at these schools, their LSAT scores are still sufficiently high enough to predict that they will still pass the bar and thus be able to be successful lawyers.

I've seen this discussed before. AAs at top law schools would often end up with worse grades than whites, but have nearly identical bar passage rates and little discernable difference in real-world capability post-graduation. The LSAT has a strong correlation to bar passage rate, and above a certain threshold of ability it's possible for almost anyone to pass the bar given a solid legal education. As a result these students end up still being highly capable lawyers even though they do poorly in their classes (which is how people who end up in the bottom half of Harvard are often seen; they're still Harvard grads, after all).

TigerBeer

Bronze

Post by TigerBeer » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:24 pm

wow you fail at being subtle

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Anyone supporting AA is a moral and intellectual degenerate. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

ValiantVic

Bronze

Post by ValiantVic » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:08 pm

From what I heard from the Dean at NU the LSAT has a good correlation with one's success in the first semester of law school, that's it. It can't even be projected to one's law school career and of course obviously wouldn't have any bearing on one's career as an attorney.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

T14Hopeful09

New

Post by T14Hopeful09 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

fl0w wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Key is that LSAT is a "good predictor" of how well one does in law school, not of one's career success as an attorney.
Also.. i don't see how you actually care about the answer to your question. If you are not URM, then why would you care if a section of your class is at a disadvantage. it makes things advantageous for you. And if, in fact, they are not disadvantaged, then I guess you have to work hard. Which is what you should have been planning to do anyway.

Opinion time: as a URM, I would argue that URMs are placed into an environment where they may have a lot of difficulty succeeding and be seriously disadvantaged the day they come out of the womb.

Church!

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:26 pm

ValiantVic wrote:From what I heard from the Dean at NU the LSAT has a good correlation with one's success in the first semester of law school, that's it. It can't even be projected to one's law school career and of course obviously wouldn't have any bearing on one's career as an attorney.
That isn't the entire part of it. The LSAT has the best correlation of any available test with one's success in the first semester of law school. The best correlation of success as a law student over the three years is success in the first semester of law school.

phoenix323

Bronze

Post by phoenix323 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:30 pm

Kakarot wrote:
ValiantVic wrote:From what I heard from the Dean at NU the LSAT has a good correlation with one's success in the first semester of law school, that's it. It can't even be projected to one's law school career and of course obviously wouldn't have any bearing on one's career as an attorney.
That isn't the entire part of it. The LSAT has the best correlation of any available test with one's success in the first semester of law school. The best correlation of success as a law student over the three years is success in the first semester of law school.
Just curious, what other tests are there?

UofO

New

Post by UofO » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:36 pm

scionb4 wrote:
+ fucking 1
Not just a +1, a plus fucking 1, there is a difference.
huge difference! lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”