wait until fall grades are posted in Dec. to apply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dpryor5

wait until fall grades are posted in Dec. to apply?

Postby dpryor5 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:59 am

If I apply to law schools prior to December, when my fall grades get posted, I will have a gpa of 3.54. If I can get As in all my classes for fall quarter, I will end up with a gpa of 3.6. Would it be worth waiting until December 10-12 to apply with a gpa of 3.6 as opposed to applying in late October/November with a gpa of 3.54?

Thanks.

Re: wait until fall grades are posted in Dec. to apply?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:03 am

It wouldn't be that quick. You'd have to wait for your school to send an official transcript and LSAC to process it. That can take weeks at that time of year. You're not talking a huge difference in GPA...I'd apply early. I got into schools that I applied to in Dec that people with similar numbers got rejected/WL from in Jan.

misc

Postby misc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Sending in an updated transcript with your fall quarter grades could be an option. You would have to hope that they don't reject your initial application based on that GPA though.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Given that this is premised on your getting Straight As, the answer is clearly no. You would be giving up the certain benefit of applying early for the very unlikely event that you get straight As, when each event is of roughly equally significance.

dpryor5

Postby dpryor5 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:29 pm

tome wrote:Given that this is premised on your getting Straight As, the answer is clearly no. You would be giving up the certain benefit of applying early for the very unlikely event that you get straight As, when each event is of roughly equally significance.

I shouldn't have a problem with getting the right grades. I will complete my major requirements in the coming quarter, so I can pretty much take whatever I want in the fall and I intend to select rather easy classes.
It wouldn't be that quick. You'd have to wait for your school to send an official transcript and LSAC to process it. That can take weeks at that time of year. You're not talking a huge difference in GPA...I'd apply early. I got into schools that I applied to in Dec that people with similar numbers got rejected/WL from in Jan.

Dammit, I didn't realize it would take weeks to get my grades processed. I'm just worried that some of the better schools will reject me for having a sub 3.6 gpa.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”