Comm College GPA < Univ GPA - What to do? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xxinfinity

New

Comm College GPA < Univ GPA - What to do?

Post by xxinfinity » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:06 pm

Hi everyone,

I transferred to a UC from a comm college, but not till I went to about 3 community colleges and I first majored in bioengineering then changed to international relations my last semester before transferring. I changed CCs because I moved and because one CC's schedule was so bad I couldn't take the classes I needed (physics,chem and bio all at same time - stupid). My univ GPA is a 3.57 and I graduated cum laude, but a few of my CC semesters were below 3.0 so it's dragging down my GPA do a 3.2.

Should I write an addendum? I also went to grad school, but my GPA for my MA was just 3.52 but most of the law schools don't seem to care about grad GPAs.

thanks in advance for your replies!

raperez129

Bronze

Re: Comm College GPA < Univ GPA - What to do?

Post by raperez129 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:25 pm

You may want to do an addendum to draw attention to your grad school GPA, to show an upswing. There isn't too much else you can do. It sucks.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:16 am

raperez129 wrote:You may want to do an addendum to draw attention to your grad school GPA, to show an upswing.
WTF, no, 3.5 is a shitty GPA for grad school.

lt0826

Bronze

Post by lt0826 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:34 am

xxinfinity wrote:Hi everyone,

I transferred to a UC from a comm college, but not till I went to about 3 community colleges and I first majored in bioengineering then changed to international relations my last semester before transferring. I changed CCs because I moved and because one CC's schedule was so bad I couldn't take the classes I needed (physics,chem and bio all at same time - stupid). My univ GPA is a 3.57 and I graduated cum laude, but a few of my CC semesters were below 3.0 so it's dragging down my GPA do a 3.2.

Should I write an addendum? I also went to grad school, but my GPA for my MA was just 3.52 but most of the law schools don't seem to care about grad GPAs.
I think schools will see the increased GPA trend. I have a similar situation and I have been receiving very good offers. I think some schools are noticing the difference in GPA.

I did do an addendum, but I had a lot of family and financial challenges for a number of years. If you can give a compelling reason for the poorer grades early on, by all means write an addendum. Why did you have to move, were you moving mid-semester? Also I wouldn't talk about the CC schedule being so bad and not getting the classes you needed - that doesn't really address the GPA issue to me.

gwuorbust

Gold

Post by gwuorbust » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 am

you can stuff you application full of as many addendum's as you want but all schools really care about is LSAC GPA.

writing something short might be worth just because at least you will know you tried and put in all the effort you could, but I doubt it will matter much, if at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:23 am

xxinfinity wrote: I first majored in bioengineering then changed to international relations
And your GPA went up? :shock:

Seriously though, I think moving because a schedule was difficult might give the wrong impression to an adcomm.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:27 am

narkizopoint wrote:
xxinfinity wrote: I first majored in bioengineering then changed to international relations
And your GPA went up? :shock:

Seriously though, I think moving because a schedule was difficult might give the wrong impression to an adcomm.
Why would you be surprised his GPA went up when he transferred from a legitimately hard major into a soft pseudo social science?

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:37 pm

No way the Fox dint sense the sarcasm

xxinfinity

New

Post by xxinfinity » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 pm

wow posting made me remember what a bunch of douche bags law students are

actually i made honor roll the majority of my semesters as a bioengineering student but changed cuz i obviously liked politics better and didn't want to do labs all my life
i had a low GPA one semester because I was driving one hour to a CC that was far away and had classes back to back like 7pm calc class and next day 8am honors english and wasn't the best decision but thought it was a better CC. calc teacher was a jerk cuz he was a physics teacher not calc and put things on a curve when there was a math teacher in the class just taking the class for fun...

also my other bad semester was a bad decision when i was going out w/ a guy, so i'm not a "he" just FYI

geez hope y'all get some sort of other education besides law school so you can round out that whole jerk side of you

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:52 pm

narkizopoint wrote:No way the Fox dint sense the sarcasm
You got me fair and square. Congrats.

narkizopoint

Bronze

Post by narkizopoint » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:34 pm

xxinfinity wrote:i had a low GPA one semester because I was driving one hour to a CC that was far away and had classes back to back like 7pm calc class and next day 8am honors english and wasn't the best decision but thought it was a better CC. calc teacher was a jerk cuz he was a physics teacher not calc and put things on a curve when there was a math teacher in the class just taking the class for fun...also my other bad semester was a bad decision when i was going out w/ a guy, so i'm not a "he" just FYI
You do realize how stupid all that would sound if you put that in an addendum right? Remember, other people have real excuses and it just makes you look like the douche when you point out your "reasons" for your GPA.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”