LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
completing

New

LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Post by completing » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm

After 3 weeks of waiting, all of my transcripts have been processed and I'm able to access Academic Summary Report.

Surprisingly, my LSAC GPA is 0.03 points higher than what I expected.

Undergraduate Summary
Degree (Summary) GPA: 4.09
Cumulative GPA: 4.04 (I was expecting 4.01)

From what I've read from previous posts, LSAC counts ALL previous courses.

So, I thought LSAC miss-counted grades.

I was carefully going through my transcripts and the report.

Then, when I saw the 'Total Semester Hours', I realized it only counted the credits that had been transferred.

Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

No more hatred for my teacher :P

traehekat

Gold

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Post by traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Cool story, bro. :mrgreen:

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 pm

stfugtfo

completing

New

Post by completing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 am

bees wrote:stfugtfo
ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm

completing wrote:
bees wrote:stfugtfo
ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?
Nope. My GPA was fine. It might have dropped like .01 but I'm not sure. You have a 4.0+ so enjoy it and keep it to yourself. God forbid you might have only had a 4.1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JollyGreenGiant

Silver

Post by JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Cool, yo. But I doubt a difference in any number above 4 is going to have any difference in the admissions process.

SimplyC26

New

Post by SimplyC26 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

SimplyC26 wrote:Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)
Your GPA will most likely get hammered. "non-transferrable" is not "was not transferred". It depends on the course. If it is a college level course that "can" be transferred but did not then it will still count, most likely. I think most classes that don't count are remedial or other classes that are not considered college level credit courses.

SimplyC26

New

Post by SimplyC26 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
SimplyC26 wrote:Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)
Your GPA will most likely get hammered. "non-transferrable" is not "was not transferred". It depends on the course. If it is a college level course that "can" be transferred but did not then it will still count, most likely. I think most classes that don't count are remedial or other classes that are not considered college level credit courses.

+1 Oh well :cry: Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm sure its going to get hammered. According to lawschoolpredictor, it will be a bit above a 3.1

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

holydonkey

Silver

Post by holydonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 pm

completing wrote:Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

Oh, it still matters. I bet that professor still laughs about it every night. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. Always laughing at your B. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. They sit in their chair and ask, "remember when I gave that kid a B, hon?" And their spouse responds, "sure do! what a rube!!!"

And rightfully so. Seriously, who gets a B?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:42 pm

--ImageRemoved--

HERetICal

New

Post by HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm

I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Their inclusion significantly affected my GPA, and not in a positive manner.

Any clue whether addressing this situation in an addendum would be a good move, or am I just whining and similar things have happened to many others?

Thanks.

calicocat

Silver

Post by calicocat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm

lol, are you just bragging?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bees

Bronze

Post by bees » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

HERetICal wrote:I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Any clue whether addressing this situation in an addendum would be a good move, or am I just whining and similar things have happened to many others?

Thanks.
whining

HERetICal

New

Post by HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

bees wrote:
HERetICal wrote:I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Thanks.
whining
figured. Thanks!

pollaclc

Bronze

Post by pollaclc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

wish i had the same story. or that i worked harder in classes elsewhere that my university wouldn't accept grades from (read: that i knew LSAC would count them & thusly worked harder)

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

completing wrote:After 3 weeks of waiting, all of my transcripts have been processed and I'm able to access Academic Summary Report.

Surprisingly, my LSAC GPA is 0.03 points higher than what I expected.

Undergraduate Summary
Degree (Summary) GPA: 4.09
Cumulative GPA: 4.04 (I was expecting 4.01)

From what I've read from previous posts, LSAC counts ALL previous courses.

So, I thought LSAC miss-counted grades.

I was carefully going through my transcripts and the report.

Then, when I saw the 'Total Semester Hours', I realized it only counted the credits that had been transferred.

Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

No more hatred for my teacher :P
If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

rayiner wrote: If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.
not always true

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm

completing wrote: ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?
Spoken like a true 4.04.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Tell me about it, LSAC completely changed my grades too. I went from a 5.2 to a 8.7.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote: If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.
not always true
Hence the "probably".

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CMDantes

Bronze

Post by CMDantes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm

holydonkey wrote:
completing wrote:Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

Oh, it still matters. I bet that professor still laughs about it every night. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. Always laughing at your B. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. They sit in their chair and ask, "remember when I gave that kid a B, hon?" And their spouse responds, "sure do! what a rube!!!"

+1000

I laughed at this, freaking kid bragging his 4.0

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
not always true
Hence the "probably".
But you are implying that he belongs in the "probably". It's ok, the kid got a 4+, let him brag.

I would have said something along the lines of why couldn't he had earned all A+. 4.04 is like 3.9 out of 4 or something.

completing

New

Post by completing » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
not always true
Hence the "probably".
But you are implying that he belongs in the "probably". It's ok, the kid got a 4+, let him brag.

I would have said something along the lines of why couldn't he had earned all A+. 4.04 is like 3.9 out of 4 or something.

I majored Economics which is not a BS major like business or film studies.

I couldn't get all A+ because not all professors give out A+ even though it's on a grading scheme.

In one class, I was the only who got 100% on all tests and problem sets, and I still ended up with A. So, there it is.
Last edited by completing on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

completing

New

Post by completing » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am

CMDantes wrote:
holydonkey wrote:

+1000

I laughed at this, freaking kid bragging his 4.0

I thought I'd be getting lower LSAC GPA because a lot of members in this forum just say "all grades counts with no exception"

It was quite a surprise for me when I saw the report. So, I wanted to share the story with others.

Sorry if you think I was bragging. But please don't be a jackass.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”