LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
completing
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby completing » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:55 pm

After 3 weeks of waiting, all of my transcripts have been processed and I'm able to access Academic Summary Report.

Surprisingly, my LSAC GPA is 0.03 points higher than what I expected.

Undergraduate Summary
Degree (Summary) GPA: 4.09
Cumulative GPA: 4.04 (I was expecting 4.01)

From what I've read from previous posts, LSAC counts ALL previous courses.

So, I thought LSAC miss-counted grades.

I was carefully going through my transcripts and the report.

Then, when I saw the 'Total Semester Hours', I realized it only counted the credits that had been transferred.

Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

No more hatred for my teacher :P

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:32 pm

Cool story, bro. :mrgreen:

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby bees » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 pm

stfugtfo

completing
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby completing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:40 am

bees wrote:stfugtfo


ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby bees » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 pm

completing wrote:
bees wrote:stfugtfo


ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?


Nope. My GPA was fine. It might have dropped like .01 but I'm not sure. You have a 4.0+ so enjoy it and keep it to yourself. God forbid you might have only had a 4.1.

User avatar
JollyGreenGiant
Posts: 995
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:12 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:49 pm

Cool, yo. But I doubt a difference in any number above 4 is going to have any difference in the admissions process.

SimplyC26
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby SimplyC26 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:31 pm

SimplyC26 wrote:Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)


Your GPA will most likely get hammered. "non-transferrable" is not "was not transferred". It depends on the course. If it is a college level course that "can" be transferred but did not then it will still count, most likely. I think most classes that don't count are remedial or other classes that are not considered college level credit courses.

SimplyC26
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby SimplyC26 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:
SimplyC26 wrote:Does anyone have any further information on this? From 01-05 I took around 80 hours at a college and ended up with a 2.2. I took two years off, and enrolled at a different college in the fall of 07. However, of the 80 hours that I had amassed previously, only 9 transferred to my current school. This is huge because my degree gpa is set to be around a 3.8. (After this semester I will have accumulated 98 hours at my current school)


Your GPA will most likely get hammered. "non-transferrable" is not "was not transferred". It depends on the course. If it is a college level course that "can" be transferred but did not then it will still count, most likely. I think most classes that don't count are remedial or other classes that are not considered college level credit courses.



+1 Oh well :cry: Thanks for the response. Yeah I'm sure its going to get hammered. According to lawschoolpredictor, it will be a bit above a 3.1

User avatar
holydonkey
Posts: 1184
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby holydonkey » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:35 pm

completing wrote:Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

Oh, it still matters. I bet that professor still laughs about it every night. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. Always laughing at your B. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. They sit in their chair and ask, "remember when I gave that kid a B, hon?" And their spouse responds, "sure do! what a rube!!!"

And rightfully so. Seriously, who gets a B?

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby Grizz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:42 pm

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
HERetICal
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm

I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Their inclusion significantly affected my GPA, and not in a positive manner.

Any clue whether addressing this situation in an addendum would be a good move, or am I just whining and similar things have happened to many others?

Thanks.

User avatar
calicocat
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby calicocat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:43 pm

lol, are you just bragging?

User avatar
bees
Posts: 310
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:50 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby bees » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

HERetICal wrote:I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Their inclusion significantly affected my GPA, and not in a positive manner.

Any clue whether addressing this situation in an addendum would be a good move, or am I just whining and similar things have happened to many others?

Thanks.


whining

User avatar
HERetICal
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby HERetICal » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:44 pm

bees wrote:
HERetICal wrote:I have grades from when I was in HS from a summer enrichment program at the community college. They weren't transferred to my undergraduate institution, but I submitted transcripts from the community college to LSAC because LSAC requested all transcripts.

Their inclusion significantly affected my GPA, and not in a positive manner.

Any clue whether addressing this situation in an addendum would be a good move, or am I just whining and similar things have happened to many others?

Thanks.


whining


figured. Thanks!

pollaclc
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:12 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby pollaclc » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:45 pm

wish i had the same story. or that i worked harder in classes elsewhere that my university wouldn't accept grades from (read: that i knew LSAC would count them & thusly worked harder)

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:55 pm

completing wrote:After 3 weeks of waiting, all of my transcripts have been processed and I'm able to access Academic Summary Report.

Surprisingly, my LSAC GPA is 0.03 points higher than what I expected.

Undergraduate Summary
Degree (Summary) GPA: 4.09
Cumulative GPA: 4.04 (I was expecting 4.01)

From what I've read from previous posts, LSAC counts ALL previous courses.

So, I thought LSAC miss-counted grades.

I was carefully going through my transcripts and the report.

Then, when I saw the 'Total Semester Hours', I realized it only counted the credits that had been transferred.

Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

No more hatred for my teacher :P


If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

rayiner wrote:If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.


not always true

User avatar
Tangerine Gleam
Posts: 1349
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby Tangerine Gleam » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:22 pm

completing wrote:ummm... Did LSAC hammered down on your GPA?


Spoken like a true 4.04.

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:23 pm

Tell me about it, LSAC completely changed my grades too. I went from a 5.2 to a 8.7.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:53 pm

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.


not always true


Hence the "probably".

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby CMDantes » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:07 pm

holydonkey wrote:
completing wrote:Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

Oh, it still matters. I bet that professor still laughs about it every night. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. Always laughing at your B. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. They sit in their chair and ask, "remember when I gave that kid a B, hon?" And their spouse responds, "sure do! what a rube!!!"

And rightfully so. Seriously, who gets a B?


+1000

I laughed at this, freaking kid bragging his 4.0

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:36 pm

rayiner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.


not always true


Hence the "probably".


But you are implying that he belongs in the "probably". It's ok, the kid got a 4+, let him brag.

I would have said something along the lines of why couldn't he had earned all A+. 4.04 is like 3.9 out of 4 or something.

completing
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby completing » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:32 am

r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
rayiner wrote:If you've never gotten a B, you probably didn't do a major hard enough to warrant bragging about having a 4.0+. HTH.


not always true


Hence the "probably".


But you are implying that he belongs in the "probably". It's ok, the kid got a 4+, let him brag.

I would have said something along the lines of why couldn't he had earned all A+. 4.04 is like 3.9 out of 4 or something.



I majored Economics which is not a BS major like business or film studies.

I couldn't get all A+ because not all professors give out A+ even though it's on a grading scheme.

In one class, I was the only who got 100% on all tests and problem sets, and I still ended up with A. So, there it is.
Last edited by completing on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

completing
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:21 am

Re: LSAC GPA surprise; Non-Transferable Credits don't count?!?

Postby completing » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:44 am

CMDantes wrote:
holydonkey wrote:
completing wrote:Before I transferred, I took 2 non-transferable courses, one of which I got B. The only B in my entire college life.

I despised my teacher for giving me B when I was only 0.00000001% points short of A.

I guess it didn't matter after all.

Oh, it still matters. I bet that professor still laughs about it every night. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. Always laughing at your B. ha ha ha. ha ha ha. They sit in their chair and ask, "remember when I gave that kid a B, hon?" And their spouse responds, "sure do! what a rube!!!"

And rightfully so. Seriously, who gets a B?


+1000

I laughed at this, freaking kid bragging his 4.0



I thought I'd be getting lower LSAC GPA because a lot of members in this forum just say "all grades counts with no exception"

It was quite a surprise for me when I saw the report. So, I wanted to share the story with others.

Sorry if you think I was bragging. But please don't be a jackass.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bs118, MSNbot Media, mtf612, splitterfromhell and 6 guests