Should I reply to welcome email for application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BreakingTheLaw

Should I reply to welcome email for application?

Postby BreakingTheLaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:08 pm

Ha...I know this is a "roll the bones" kind of silly detail, but anybody have a feeling one way or the other on this? It is a "welcome, we've received your app" email directly from an assistant dean of admissions. My sales side always leans me toward a "thank you very much" kind of reply, but...just a random question if anyone has a feeling on it.

Thanks,
BTL

dakatz

Re: Should I reply to welcome email for application?

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 pm

Its a generic email sent to all of the thousands of kids who applied. You don't need to reply to it.

BreakingTheLaw

Postby BreakingTheLaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks Dakatz...yes, I realize the text is just a generic auto-reply, but the reply email address is to a dean I know of there...ha....no biggie...just being superstitious and would do anything to help this app along.

Thanks,
BTL

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:18 pm

Right. From the dean's email address, thousands of emails are sent to people like you. Not to be rude, but it's in no way a personal email from the dean to you nor would the dean know who the hell you were if you respond.

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:56 pm

You're inclined to do it. It can't hurt.

atparks

Postby atparks » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:02 pm

BreakingTheLaw wrote:Ha...I know this is a "roll the bones" kind of silly detail, but anybody have a feeling one way or the other on this? It is a "welcome, we've received your app" email directly from an assistant dean of admissions. My sales side always leans me toward a "thank you very much" kind of reply, but...just a random question if anyone has a feeling on it.

Thanks,
BTL

Don't waste your time replying. Every Dean, regardless of the level, has an assistant who reads their email. He/she will never ever see it, I promise.

Might come off the wrong way also...confidence is key, not desperation.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”