Decisions, decisions... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
flchick1

New

Decisions, decisions...

Post by flchick1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

I have a 3.86 and 160, and am in at eight schools so far...in purgatory with UGA, UNC, and W&M right now (if I get into any of those 3 I'll go, no question, even at sticker).

Anyway, preparing for the worst & assuming I don't get into any of those three, what are your thoughts the following 3 options? They are the best I have gotten into so far. I don't really care where I have to live for the next three years and have no idea where I'll want to work following graduation, although it will probably be somewhere on the east coast since that's where my family is.

Well, any insights you have would be appreciated. I really have no idea what to do at this point...

Thanks in advance..!

-Tulane with $22,500 (not much considering their COA)
-Ohio State with no money (at least no merit aid...waiting on need based grant decision)
-U. Miami with $69,000

citrus2010

New

Re: Decisions, decisions...

Post by citrus2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:02 am

I'm looking at life on the west coast so my opinion shouldn't mean much to you, but I would take Tulane. The slower the economy the more regional recruiting becomes. Ohio will get you some interviews on the east coast for sure, but Tulane will get you more (plus you get a little bit of money). Miami isn't going to get you anywhere but Miami for at least 5 years.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:06 am

Miami is stronger in florida than people on this site think. The lower COL in Florida means that 75k starting salaries equal a high standard of living.

The reason I would consider it above the others, it in my opinion, outside the T-30 you need to become insanely debt conscious. If it were w&m I'd say sink the money, you'll make it back. But with no guarantees at schools like the ones you've listed, take the smallest ammount of debt you can for a t-100

citrus2010

New

Post by citrus2010 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:10 am

If you're OK with Florida, then by all means take the money and stay out of debt!!! But it won't take you far outside of Florida is all I'm saying. When you say east coast I'm thinking DC, NY, Boston, etc. Florida may be great for you...

flchick1

New

Post by flchick1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:39 am

Thank you all for your advice. I really don't want to stay in Florida...I have been living here for 5 years already, and my family is in the northeast.

I'm wondering if OSU is my best bet, job opportunities-wise...I don't really mind paying sticker, because in-state tuition is easy to get after the first year. Tulane is SO expensive, the total COA is estimated at $60k/year, and I just don't know if it's worth it. And Miami...everyone seems to be talking about how lousy it is lately, I never hear good things about it or anything positive regarding its near future...but it'd be my cheapest option...

*Sigh* Still so torn!! Why can't this decision just make itself...lol.

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 am

why not rutgers? maybe pitt? those are 2 options that place well in their respective markets and they're both state schools so you'd probably have a shot at in-state after 1L

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”