would this recommendation help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
yung
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:39 pm

would this recommendation help?

Postby yung » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Hey guys I am wondering if getting a recommendation from a doctor that worked at Columbia university hospital would help my chances in getting into NYC law schools? Especially Columbia?

AsylumPB
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby AsylumPB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm

LORs should come from someone that knows you based on an academic or employment/community service level. Adcoms are not going to care if you get your state senator to write your LOR if they write a something short that holds no weight.

imchuckbass58
Posts: 1245
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby imchuckbass58 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:17 pm

No. Not at all.

Edit: It might be helpful if it is a good recommendation. But the fact that you know someone who is employed by a non-profit corporation run through a completely separate division of the university carries no extra weight whatsoever.

yung
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby yung » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:50 pm

oh i see...thanks guys

it's just hard to swallow that if you have legacy then it makes it alot easier for you?

User avatar
RickyRoe
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:53 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby RickyRoe » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:15 am

yung wrote:oh i see...thanks guys

it's just hard to swallow that if you have legacy then it makes it alot easier for you?


Is that a question or a statement? From what I have heard being a legacy doesn't help unless you share a name with a building at the school or at very least your parent is an alum who went on to be on the Supreme Court, governor, senator, or otherwise someone important.

Am I wrong? I know they ask you the question on most applications, but I was under the impression that it was just another soft factor included but not defining the decision making process.

User avatar
jks289
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby jks289 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:19 am

RickyRoe wrote:
yung wrote:oh i see...thanks guys

it's just hard to swallow that if you have legacy then it makes it alot easier for you?


Is that a question or a statement? From what I have heard being a legacy doesn't help unless you share a name with a building at the school or at very least your parent is an alum who went on to be on the Supreme Court, governor, senator, or otherwise someone important.

Am I wrong? I know they ask you the question on most applications, but I was under the impression that it was just another soft factor included but not defining the decision making process.


The softest of softs. I think unless you are part of a substantially contributing family, and present a major financial incentive, it counts for almost nothing. I think they ask just to make sure those people don't fall through the cracks.

User avatar
sternc
Posts: 204
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby sternc » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:34 am

Not to hijack the threat, but how about a recommendation from a partner at a major firm. I'm thinking of sending in another letter for a school I have been wait-listed at, along with my LOCI. This person knows me well and has for a long time. I know it is not going to get me into the school, but do you think it is even something they will care about?

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:36 am

sternc wrote:Not to hijack the threat, but how about a recommendation from a partner at a major firm. I'm thinking of sending in another letter for a school I have been wait-listed at, along with my LOCI. This person knows me well and has for a long time. I know it is not going to get me into the school, but do you think it is even something they will care about?


Nope, not really. It won't hurt if it's a solid, authentic recommendation.

xyzzzzzzzz
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 am

.
Last edited by xyzzzzzzzz on Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10384
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: would this recommendation help?

Postby TTH » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:49 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:What if someone had an LOR from an alumni who happened to be a partner at a major firm?


Name Partner or it will actually hurt you.

And it had better be V10




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], stewhan and 4 guests