LSAT and addenda Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KLM

New

LSAT and addenda

Post by KLM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:46 pm

Kind of on the fence about this... Thought maybe someone might throw in their 2 cents.

Took the LSAT 2 times. Scored 145 the first time (Was in kind of ill, but didn't cancel the score because I had little base of reference connecting performance to scores. So I just rolled with it). Took it again, and did "ok" with a 154.

the 154 score falls 1 point shy of the 25th percentile scores reported by some of my potential schools.

Would it be worth it to add 2 addenda regarding the LSAT?

Addendum 1) Explaining history of past standardized tests (Very true), including SAT scores, coupled with a high GPA. Also graduate school, if that matters.

Addendum 2) Explaining the 9 point score increase.

I don't want to sound too desperate, and I don't want to include 2 addenda to an application unless I need to. After all, they've got enough applications to go through, and they don't need to read through my whole life story. I've got a decent PS, good LORs, along with experience living overseas and working.

Any advice? Should I only send 1 of the addenda? Both? None? Anything would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot!

dynomite

Bronze

Re: LSAT and addenda

Post by dynomite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:50 pm

Just send one, and keep it brief -- many schools will ask for an explanation of a 9 point increase.

Say that you were ill and inadequately prepared for the first LSAT, that you then intensified your preparation and that the latter score better reflects your true capacity for legal study. You could add another (short) sentence that says that standardized testing has never been your strength, but that your grade point average proves that your scores on these kinds of exams do not accurately showcase your academic strengths.

KLM

New

Post by KLM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Thanks!... That makes things a little easier. Is it worth it to send copies of your SATs to back up the standardized test argument?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 pm

dynomite wrote:Just send one, and keep it brief -- many schools will ask for an explanation of a 9 point increase.

Say that you were ill and inadequately prepared for the first LSAT, that you then intensified your preparation and that the latter score better reflects your true capacity for legal study. You could add another (short) sentence that says that standardized testing has never been your strength, but that your grade point average proves that your scores on these kinds of exams do not accurately showcase your academic strengths.
+1
I've read on a couple admission web sites that if they see wide variation on multiple LSAT scores, they may take the position that the LSAT may not be an accurate tool for evaluating your skills.

KLM

New

Post by KLM » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:56 pm

I've read that as well. Hence, the purpose of the addendum? Or was that even with an addendum etc...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dynomite

Bronze

Post by dynomite » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:53 am

KLM wrote:Thanks!... That makes things a little easier. Is it worth it to send copies of your SATs to back up the standardized test argument?
I'm not an expert, but I doubt it. Your SAT scores from when you were 17 aren't particularly relevant. A strong LOR or 2 from your professors would be more helpful.

KLM

New

Post by KLM » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Alright... Done! I just needed to hear it from someone else. Fingers crossed!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”