Worth it to expect fee waivers now? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JCougar

Gold

Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:16 am

With my new February LSAT score, I was kind of hoping to get a fee waiver from a few schools that were handing them out before to students with the same score. Has anyone heard about schools handing out waivers this late in the cycle? The deadlines for these schools aren't until April, and I wanted to try and save $300 and wait a few days to see if I get one, but if no one has heard of last-minute fee waivers, I may as well just go ahead and apply tonight.

cardinalandgold

Silver

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Post by cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 am

JCougar wrote:With my new February LSAT score, I was kind of hoping to get a fee waiver from a few schools that were handing them out before to students with the same score. Has anyone heard about schools handing out waivers this late in the cycle? The deadlines for these schools aren't until April, and I wanted to try and save $300 and wait a few days to see if I get one, but if no one has heard of last-minute fee waivers, I may as well just go ahead and apply tonight.
You could try soliciting a fee waiver in an email. Can't hurt to ask.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 am

I received a couple of waivers on Monday and Tuesday, after getting my Feb. score over the weekend.

HTH

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.

1WingedAngel

New

Post by 1WingedAngel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

I took the test in December and am still getting fee waivers this late. I just got a few the other week. However, you're pressed for time, and the bigger schools are pretty much done advertising, so you should just ask them directly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

moandersen wrote:I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.
Lame! My GPA and LSAT are both higher than yours and I got no such offer. I even asked them for one in October and didn't receive one.

moandersen

Silver

Post by moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
moandersen wrote:I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.
Lame! My GPA and LSAT are both higher than yours and I got no such offer. I even asked them for one in October and didn't receive one.
Haha, sorry. Looks like you got plenty of solid offers, and if you want to trade cycles, I would be ok with that. :wink:

It might help that Im a minority - though not a URM - and schools are realizing that they overloaded on the 'majority' and might be scrambling for some diversity. Just a theory, nothing more.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

What about getting fee waivers for next cycle based on the Feb. LSAT. How does that work?

raperez129

Bronze

Post by raperez129 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm

After the LSAT score release over the weekend, I got several on Monday (I got Notre Dame too), and a couple more on Tues. None since. I applied to some of them, even though they all seemed like a bit of a reach. I figured it couldn't hurt, since they were making the offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:55 pm

raperez129 wrote:After the LSAT score release over the weekend, I got several on Monday (I got Notre Dame too), and a couple more on Tues. None since. I applied to some of them, even though they all seemed like a bit of a reach. I figured it couldn't hurt, since they were making the offer.
This was what I was hoping for, but all I got was like Louisville and ONU.

I'd apply to Notre Dame if I got one. And Minnesota as well. And any other T1 Midwestern school that might give me money.

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

moandersen wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
Haha, sorry. Looks like you got plenty of solid offers, and if you want to trade cycles, I would be ok with that. :wink:

It might help that Im a minority - though not a URM - and schools are realizing that they overloaded on the 'majority' and might be scrambling for some diversity. Just a theory, nothing more.
You can have everything except my IU-Bloomington package!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”