Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:16 am

With my new February LSAT score, I was kind of hoping to get a fee waiver from a few schools that were handing them out before to students with the same score. Has anyone heard about schools handing out waivers this late in the cycle? The deadlines for these schools aren't until April, and I wanted to try and save $300 and wait a few days to see if I get one, but if no one has heard of last-minute fee waivers, I may as well just go ahead and apply tonight.

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby cardinalandgold » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:19 am

JCougar wrote:With my new February LSAT score, I was kind of hoping to get a fee waiver from a few schools that were handing them out before to students with the same score. Has anyone heard about schools handing out waivers this late in the cycle? The deadlines for these schools aren't until April, and I wanted to try and save $300 and wait a few days to see if I get one, but if no one has heard of last-minute fee waivers, I may as well just go ahead and apply tonight.

You could try soliciting a fee waiver in an email. Can't hurt to ask.

User avatar
badpixie
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:28 am

I received a couple of waivers on Monday and Tuesday, after getting my Feb. score over the weekend.

HTH

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:41 pm

I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.

User avatar
1WingedAngel
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:44 am

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby 1WingedAngel » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:06 pm

I took the test in December and am still getting fee waivers this late. I just got a few the other week. However, you're pressed for time, and the bigger schools are pretty much done advertising, so you should just ask them directly.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:09 pm

moandersen wrote:I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.


Lame! My GPA and LSAT are both higher than yours and I got no such offer. I even asked them for one in October and didn't receive one.

User avatar
moandersen
Posts: 819
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby moandersen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm

Halibut6 wrote:
moandersen wrote:I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.


Lame! My GPA and LSAT are both higher than yours and I got no such offer. I even asked them for one in October and didn't receive one.


Haha, sorry. Looks like you got plenty of solid offers, and if you want to trade cycles, I would be ok with that. :wink:

It might help that Im a minority - though not a URM - and schools are realizing that they overloaded on the 'majority' and might be scrambling for some diversity. Just a theory, nothing more.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:40 pm

What about getting fee waivers for next cycle based on the Feb. LSAT. How does that work?

User avatar
raperez129
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:23 am

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby raperez129 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:49 pm

After the LSAT score release over the weekend, I got several on Monday (I got Notre Dame too), and a couple more on Tues. None since. I applied to some of them, even though they all seemed like a bit of a reach. I figured it couldn't hurt, since they were making the offer.

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:55 pm

raperez129 wrote:After the LSAT score release over the weekend, I got several on Monday (I got Notre Dame too), and a couple more on Tues. None since. I applied to some of them, even though they all seemed like a bit of a reach. I figured it couldn't hurt, since they were making the offer.


This was what I was hoping for, but all I got was like Louisville and ONU.

I'd apply to Notre Dame if I got one. And Minnesota as well. And any other T1 Midwestern school that might give me money.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Worth it to expect fee waivers now?

Postby Vincent Vega » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

moandersen wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:
moandersen wrote:I didnt take the february lsat (I took the dec test) and got an unsolicited fee waiver from notre dame on monday strongly encouraging me to apply. completely random. i thought about applying for a split second, then decided against it. I also just got a large packet from alabama that went straight into the recycling.


Lame! My GPA and LSAT are both higher than yours and I got no such offer. I even asked them for one in October and didn't receive one.


Haha, sorry. Looks like you got plenty of solid offers, and if you want to trade cycles, I would be ok with that. :wink:

It might help that Im a minority - though not a URM - and schools are realizing that they overloaded on the 'majority' and might be scrambling for some diversity. Just a theory, nothing more.


You can have everything except my IU-Bloomington package!




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests