LSAC GPA and Transfer Credits

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
broker02

LSAC GPA and Transfer Credits

Postby broker02 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 am

Last edited by broker02 on Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rand M.

Re: LSAC GPA and Transfer Credits

Postby Rand M. » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 am

broker02 wrote:I transferred after my freshman year of college to another institution, and have a much better GPA after almost 2 years than I had for my freshman year at the previous institution. My new school only accepted 19 of the 28 credit hours I presented from the old school, so will LSAC only count the ones that count toward my degree at the new institution? My new school doesn't even count the GPA from the previous school, but I know LSAC does, so I'm wondering how this works. Thanks!

LSAC will count all of the credits, whether your new school counts them toward your degree or not. You will have transcripts sent from everywhere that you have taken classes and they will generate a new GPA for you based on all of your classes thrown in together indiscriminately.

blerg

Postby blerg » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:48 am

LSAC will count all of the credits.

There's a GPA calc on LSP.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:32 pm

Ok, so I have a similar situation but I started over as a freshman at my new institution. While I did transfer some credits, those grades weren't counted in my gpa. Is LSAC still going to calculate those old grades in to my gpa? Is this voluntary or can I choose to leave those old grades off of my LSAC gpa?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:51 pm

LSAC.

COUNTS.

ALL.

CREDITS.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Slow down..... My head is spinning.

So, when the admissions people crack open my application, they are not going to see the GPA from my current institution but rather some other number that they have calculated? Im not applying until next year, is there anyway I can get LSAC to tell me my GPA before then?

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Oh and I know about the calculator but my institutions use different credit hour systems so I am not sure how they are going to crunch the numbers, I would like something semi-official.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:03 pm

fangonk wrote:Slow down..... My head is spinning.

So, when the admissions people crack open my application, they are not going to see the GPA from my current institution but rather some other number that they have calculated? Im not applying until next year, is there anyway I can get LSAC to tell me my GPA before then?

Yes, they are going to see your LSDAS GPA. It screws a lot of people.

You can figure out your GPA before then...just assemble every grade you've ever gotten from every college (yes, community college, 2 year degrees, transfer credits, etc count towards this) and multiply the number of "A" grades by 4.0...A- x 3.66...etc.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:28 pm

You can figure out your GPA before then...just assemble every grade you've ever gotten from every college (yes, community college, 2 year degrees, transfer credits, etc count towards this) and multiply the number of "A" grades by 4.0...A- x 3.66...etc.

Ok last couple of obvious things questions here:
1. Neither of my transcripts specify grades like A- or A+, they are just 'A' or 'B', etc... LSAC doesn't magically know if these grades were actually A-, etc... do they?

2. The number of actually semester hours I attended at both universities were almost identical. However, due to different schedules one school says '3hrs' while the other says '4hrs' on my transcripts. Should I go ahead and use these hours, even though the actual amount of class time was almost identical?

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:30 pm

I guess I am just nervous about sending out applications without knowing my GPA is written in stone. Calculator it myself is fine but its not official and that makes me nervous. I would really like to find out before hand what they are going to print on transcripts.

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:48 pm

fangonk wrote:I guess I am just nervous about sending out applications without knowing my GPA is written in stone. Calculator it myself is fine but its not official and that makes me nervous. I would really like to find out before hand what they are going to print on transcripts.

After all your transcripts get sent and received by LSAC they calculate your GPA. Then you'll be able to see your LSAC GPA on their site. Just wait for this to happen before you submit applications.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:55 pm

That makes sense. Thanks!

broker02

Postby broker02 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:28 pm

broker02 wrote:I suppose I need to blackball the system and take another 12 hours of crap community college classes to account for the extra credit hours in there. If they count everything, they have to count those too, even if they don't count toward my degree - like they're doing with what I already have. I guess I'll go sign up for some online criminal justice classes or something that I can have done by December GPA reporting time.

They stop counting things once you've been given your bachelors.

broker02

Postby broker02 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:32 pm

I haven't been given one yet though, I still have two more semesters. Not sure if they go by hours or dates for those, but either way, I'd be taking the courses before graduation so they'll be on my transcript for December applications (I won't graduate until May 2011).

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 am

OK, so if the LSAC is creating their own GPA for me, is there any other surprise info which they will be passing on to admissions? SAT scores? 2nd grade report cards?

completing

Postby completing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:36 am

kalvano wrote:LSAC.

COUNTS.

ALL.

CREDITS.

In my case, LSAC did not count my non-transferred units at all.

SO,

LSAC.

COUNTS.

(not) ALL.

CREDITS.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:13 am

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

broker02

Postby broker02 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:43 am

completing

Postby completing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:04 am

broker02 wrote:My question was only if I took classes at my previous school that did not transfer to my new school - the message I'm getting is that if the classes did NOT count toward your first bachelor' degree, LSAC will NOT count them (non-transferable classes). Am I correct in this?

Yes, non-transferable classes will NOT be counted.

I had 2 non-transferable classes and they were not counted at all.

I thought that was what you've been asking all along, but some people here will not hear of it.

Some people are just saying "Oh I don't care about your question. EVERYTHING COUNTS!"

completing

Postby completing » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 am

Kilpatrick wrote:Yeah but your situation is unique and isn't going to help the people in this thread at all. The point kalvano is trying to make is that if you have a poor GPA at one school and then transfer to a new school that doesn't count your old GPA - too bad because LSAC does. People ask this question on like a weekly basis on these boards, which is probably why kalvano felt the need to spell it out in all caps. If you went to a community college and had a 2.0 but transferred to a university where you now have a 4.0, it doesn't matter - LSAC counts grades from both. If you failed a class but later made it up and your school took the F out of your GPA, it doesn't matter - LSAC counts both grades. This is what the people asking questions in this thread are finding out, and it seriously sucks. So it probably doesn't help for you to come in and say 'hey guys LSAC doesn't count all credits because I thought I was going to have a 4.01 but I have a 4.09 instead.'

OP asked "My new school only accepted 19 of the 28 credit hours I presented from the old school, so will LSAC only count the ones that count toward my degree at the new institution? "

I answered "In my case, LSAC did not count my non-transferred units at all."

and, you are stating irrelevant examples and saying my answer is irrelevant???

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 am

OK so to recap. LSAC counts the grades that were transfered but doesn't count the grades received for non-transfered credits. Is this accurate?

broker02

Postby broker02 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:42 am

From what I hear, yes. I may put a call in to LSAC to confirm this week.

fangonk

Postby fangonk » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:12 pm

broker02 wrote:From what I hear, yes. I may put a call in to LSAC to confirm this week.

Love to hear the response if you get one. If you get chance, ask them if there are formal rules for this stuff printed anywhere on there website.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:20 pm

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”