Bombed Lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby kswiss » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:38 pm

If your parents are willing to help with your education, then have them help you out for a year while you wait. Seriously, take a year off and do some kind of great internship and study for the LSAT. Like others have said, I think you are severely selling yourself short. Like it or not, URMs get a significant boost. 155+ will probably get you good money at a lot of places. Break 165 and you'll be looking at money at some very good schools.

Believe me, I understand not wanting to figure out what to do for a year. I've gotten in to one of my target schools with some $$, but if I didn't, I'd be in the same boat. I'm a hardcore splitter (2.5, 170) and I applied the end of January. A year of work experience, higher LSAT score, and the small GPA boost I'll get from my final semester grades could mean more $$$/better schools.

But your upside is huge. A significant increase in your LSAT score is the difference between paying sticker for Cooley and getting a free ride to a bunch of T1 schools, possibly into the T14. Don't sell yourself short.

jetlagz28
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:56 pm

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby jetlagz28 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:14 am

icydash wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Don't let people tell you that you are not cut out to be a lawyer because you hate or suck at the LSAT. Law school exams are a different kind of animal. Preparation for the LSAT is difficult for a number of reasons, plus you will never use the LSAT in your career or in life. What you will learn and apply in a law school exam is applicable to the real world. There is a different kind of motivation that goes with that.


We're not saying he's not cut out to be a lawyer because he hates or sucks at the LSAT. We're saying it's possible he may not be cut out to be a lawyer because he doesn't even have the motivation to study for the entrance exam to law school. Getting in is the easiest part of law school. If you can't even motivate yourself to study hard / do well on that.... well you must not really want it that bad, and you're not going to excel in the profession.

Everyone hates the LSAT and initially sucks at it. What separates the 160's from the 140s is their motivation to succeed / drive, ability to learn new concepts, and how bad they "want it." These factors are highly relevant to whether or not our OP will be a good attorney. Luckily, they are mostly factors that are easy for the OP to cultivate for himself. All he has to do is decide he wants to...and go do it.


I know what you mean Icydash, but I think getting in is the hardest part. All I was trying to say is that I sympathize with people who find it hard to motivate themselves for the LSAT. None of it matters. No one cares if the sheep sat next to the cow who also sat next to the pig or if A than B unless C.

It's an obstacle that separates those who really it from those who don't BUT that doesn't make it any less painful. I just don't think that the motivation for practicing logic games syncs with the motivation for being a good attorney.

Anyway, this isn't an argument, I take your point and I just wanted to state my opinion.

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 am

jetlagz28 wrote:
icydash wrote:
jetlagz28 wrote:Don't let people tell you that you are not cut out to be a lawyer because you hate or suck at the LSAT. Law school exams are a different kind of animal. Preparation for the LSAT is difficult for a number of reasons, plus you will never use the LSAT in your career or in life. What you will learn and apply in a law school exam is applicable to the real world. There is a different kind of motivation that goes with that.


We're not saying he's not cut out to be a lawyer because he hates or sucks at the LSAT. We're saying it's possible he may not be cut out to be a lawyer because he doesn't even have the motivation to study for the entrance exam to law school. Getting in is the easiest part of law school. If you can't even motivate yourself to study hard / do well on that.... well you must not really want it that bad, and you're not going to excel in the profession.

Everyone hates the LSAT and initially sucks at it. What separates the 160's from the 140s is their motivation to succeed / drive, ability to learn new concepts, and how bad they "want it." These factors are highly relevant to whether or not our OP will be a good attorney. Luckily, they are mostly factors that are easy for the OP to cultivate for himself. All he has to do is decide he wants to...and go do it.


I know what you mean Icydash, but I think getting in is the hardest part. All I was trying to say is that I sympathize with people who find it hard to motivate themselves for the LSAT. None of it matters. No one cares if the sheep sat next to the cow who also sat next to the pig or if A than B unless C.

It's an obstacle that separates those who really it from those who don't BUT that doesn't make it any less painful. I just don't think that the motivation for practicing logic games syncs with the motivation for being a good attorney.

Anyway, this isn't an argument, I take your point and I just wanted to state my opinion.

No problem.

janetrey
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby janetrey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:33 am

I have to agree with a previous poster, 4 hours of tutoring (unless you have one or two specific issues you want to go over) is not enough.

I would say 10 is near the minimum that makes sense, and as a previous poster said 20 is more like it (if possible financially).


Oh, and keg411...how did you manage this trick?

4 hours of tutoring (I ended up doing around 50 hrs. I paid for 20)

hsprophet
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby hsprophet » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:27 am

icydash wrote:We're not saying he's not cut out to be a lawyer because he hates or sucks at the LSAT. We're saying it's possible he may not be cut out to be a lawyer because he doesn't even have the motivation to study for the entrance exam to law school.


A lot of people (myself included) didn't realize how much studying for the LSAT could help your score. I didn't do much studying for other entrance exams. Just because he didn't study much doesn't mean he didn't have the motivation; he probably just didn't know how much preparation is required.

And how much studying you do is a personal thing. People on here say that you MUST study for 50 hours a week and take 9,400 practice tests no matter what. I got some study guide off of Amazon, read most of it, took three practice tests, and got a 160 on the real deal. Sure, I could spend more time and score higher, but I'm happy with my 160. However, if you have a specific score goal in mind, then yes you may need to do some extreme studying. But some people don't have to study that much to get a score they are happy with (even if it's low).

icydash
Posts: 417
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:53 pm

Re: Bombed Lsat?

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:58 pm

hsprophet wrote:A lot of people (myself included) didn't realize how much studying for the LSAT could help your score. I didn't do much studying for other entrance exams. Just because he didn't study much doesn't mean he didn't have the motivation; he probably just didn't know how much preparation is required.


First of all, if you aren't aware that practicing and studying for an exam will help your score...well then I can't help you. To bank on previous experiences not studying and doing well on entrance exams, especially while taking on of the most important tests of your life, is just asking for trouble. If this is the case, then you get what you deserve. It is a lack of motivation, foresight, and intellectual capability.

hsprophet wrote:And how much studying you do is a personal thing. People on here say that you MUST study for 50 hours a week and take 9,400 practice tests no matter what. I got some study guide off of Amazon, read most of it, took three practice tests, and got a 160 on the real deal. Sure, I could spend more time and score higher, but I'm happy with my 160. However, if you have a specific score goal in mind, then yes you may need to do some extreme studying. But some people don't have to study that much to get a score they are happy with (even if it's low).


Most of the time you'd be right ....how much studying you do is a personal thing... But the one thing that always holds is the more you study, the better you do. It's good that you got away with not studying much and got the score you wanted, however, this thread is titled "bombed LSAT." He didn't get a score he's happy with, and he hardly studied at all, and now he's not sure why or what to do? In this case, we're talking about a lack of motivation/foresight. He took practice tests, saw he was scoring in the low 140s, and simply said "meh" and did nothing about it.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests