165 Pity Party

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Moose Thompson

Re: 165 Pity Party

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 pm

jks289 wrote:Your numbers aren't going to completely DQ you from the T14. They need high GPAs to balance out splitters. You are probably in for a fight though. In terms of soft, I wouldn't start something new that will seem random. What have you done over the course of college? Sports, volunteer work, travel. Find a sort of theme you want to play up and then spend the summer really devoting yourself to it. Get that GPS as high as possible. The closer you are to a 4.0, the less ground you have to make up.

And remember, everyone is throwing themselves a pity party. The 97% of us who didn't break 170 (and probably a number who did ) are sitting around kicking themselves for the one or two additional questions that might have cost them their dreams. The reality is what it is, would an extra point have helped, sure maybe. But we tend to overestimate the importance of those points, and underestimate everything we do having going for us. This is the hand you have, and you need to play is the best you can. Good luck! I am all too familiar with that feeling of disappointment you just can't shake. But a 165 is an entirely respectable score, especially paired with that awesome GPA. Chin up! :D

Thanks for this. I needed to hear it today. :)

Edit: Even if it wasn't directed at me. ;)

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

RCG37 wrote:So I got my Feb. LSAT score back: 165. meh.

I have a high gpa 3.91, and it keeps going up...so my question is where do I go from here?

I have t14 ambitions but retaking is not an option for me right now (i have a cancel from June and a 160 from september -- third time was not exactly a charm). I'd like to see how I can do next cycle (Berkeley being my top choice) before I have to dive back into the LSAT.

Also, any great soft ideas for the summer and year off I will be taking would be appreciated...any little bit helps.

have fun at Berkeley

Marisa5252

Postby Marisa5252 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm

86revolt wrote:i think the concept of a T14 is a false illusion. i think cornell and GULC are much closer in quality of education (and perhaps the kind of students they admit) to UCLA, UT, and Vandy than to DVN. i say this not to imply that GULC and cornell are bad. rather, T14 should be expanded to perhaps a T15 or T17. the number of lawyers are increasing and so are the number of jobs. to insist on an anachronistic system of rating law schools is ridiculous. especially when UT, UCLA, and Vandy can provide you with similar, if not better, education as GULC and Cornell.

T14 is defined by the fact that the top 14 schools now have been the only schools in the top 14 since the rankings started.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:41 pm

86revolt wrote:i think the concept of a T14 is a false illusion. i think cornell and GULC are much closer in quality of education (and perhaps the kind of students they admit) to UCLA, UT, and Vandy than to DVN. i say this not to imply that GULC and cornell are bad. rather, T14 should be expanded to perhaps a T15 or T17. the number of lawyers are increasing and so are the number of jobs. to insist on an anachronistic system of rating law schools is ridiculous. especially when UT, UCLA, and Vandy can provide you with similar, if not better, education as GULC and Cornell.

It is T13. Cornell places about as many people in big law as Michigan or UVA does. GTown is more like Vandy.

T3 > T6 >T13 >T17 >regional T1's in good markets> T1 > everyone else in a market you want to live in > anything else

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:

It is T13. Cornell places about as many people in big law as Michigan or UVA does. GTown is more like Vandy.

T3 > T6 >T13 >T17 >regional T1's in good markets> T1 > everyone else in a market you want to live in > anything else

:lol:.

OP, there are plenty of reverse-splitters that have excellent cycles; and your LSAT is a lot closer to T14 territory than those with 162/163's.

RCG37

Postby RCG37 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks guys.

And just to clarify, I am not ungrateful for my 165...I meant pity party in a somewhat tongue and cheek kind of way. It's just tough to practice in the low 170's (consistently) and study for a little less than a year. That's a year of my life I won't be getting back :wink:

I am open to retaking two years from now when I am eligible. I don't exactly know where to go from here as far as studying because as I mentioned I was consistently PTing in the low 170's but test day is a whole different ball game for me. I should mention how lucky I am to have regained my composure during the Feb. test after logic games really chapped my ass.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”