no JR1 at Harvard

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thelawz09
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

no JR1 at Harvard

Postby thelawz09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:38 pm

What are the various groups of people who don't get JR1s (and therefore JR2s)?

-people who are getting rejected
-???
-???

The follow up question would be the percentage of non-JR1-getters who make up each respective group.

I applied to Harvard in January. I haven't heard a peep from them. I'm wondering if I'm screwed.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:44 pm

There's no group that doesn't get a JR1 but doesn't get rejected. Even people getting in off the waitlist eventually have an interview of some sort. Some people can get the JR1 but not get in... but if no JR1 ---> reject, whether directly or off the waitlist.

Edit: That doesn't mean the JR1 might not take a while to come though.

thelawz09
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby thelawz09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 pm

nixxers wrote:There's no group that doesn't get a JR1 but doesn't get rejected. Even people getting in off the waitlist eventually have an interview of some sort. Some people can get the JR1 but not get in... but if no JR1 ---> reject, whether directly or off the waitlist.

Edit: That doesn't mean the JR1 might not take a while to come though.


Thanks for the quick response.

So the JR1 is necessary for admission to Harvard?

And I shouldn't worry too much that I haven't had a JR1 yet?

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:13 pm

thelawz09 wrote:
nixxers wrote:There's no group that doesn't get a JR1 but doesn't get rejected. Even people getting in off the waitlist eventually have an interview of some sort. Some people can get the JR1 but not get in... but if no JR1 ---> reject, whether directly or off the waitlist.

Edit: That doesn't mean the JR1 might not take a while to come though.


Thanks for the quick response.

So the JR1 is necessary for admission to Harvard?

And I shouldn't worry too much that I haven't had a JR1 yet?


no problem. yes, it is necessary for admission. Here's JR's blog post on it: --LinkRemoved--

as far as whether or not you should worry, i'd look at it this way (easy for me to say I know): things don't look great for you right now because you've probs been complete/under review for a while without a JR1 email. that said, you haven't been dinged or held, so you're better off than a lot of people. No need to get depressed until you get some bad news, right? :o

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:25 pm

Peter North wrote:
nixxers wrote:There's no group that doesn't get a JR1 but doesn't get rejected.


Completely untrue, ill-informed and erroneous. :roll:

Read my response in this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107731

HTH

I know you are a flame, and normally I wouldn't dignify you with a response, but for the sake of the OP, I will clarify.

If you do not get a JR1, you will not get into Harvard. Period.

User avatar
nixxers
Posts: 393
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:47 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby nixxers » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Peter North wrote:
nixxers wrote:There's no group that doesn't get a JR1 but doesn't get rejected.


Completely untrue, ill-informed and erroneous. :roll:

Read my response in this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107731

HTH


Whoops. You win. :roll:

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Peter North wrote:
crackberry wrote:I know you are a flame, and normally I wouldn't dignify you with a response, but for the sake of the OP, I will clarify.

If you do not get a JR1, you will not get into Harvard. Period.


If you are going to prematurely dismiss my posts of a more serious nature, then at least bit try and be creative.

Did you even read my reply in the link that I have provided in the aforementioned? Clearly not. Read the exception categories that I have listed there.

More importantly, given the inane nature of your questions (like the one addressed by the YLS admissions dean on her blog) speaks to your 'research efforts' when it comes to authenticating the veracity of the general admissions process.

HTH

Really Mr. North, this is from your thread:
Peter North wrote:I (and several others) have discussed this issue at length, sometime around November/December of last year (in one of the Harvard threads).


Really? You didn't even join TLS until November 2009, so the above is not possible.

First, regarding Asha's comment on my post, I postulated something about the Yale admissions process that NO ONE knew the answer to. Apparently, I was wrong, and Asha clarified it. But I wasn't blatantly misleading people the way you are.

If you read Rubenstein's posts, it is clear: NO ONE gets into Harvard without a phone interview. That's the dean writing. I'll trust him, not you. hth

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:35 pm

This is from Josh Rubenstein himself:

The number of phone interviews varies from year to year – we try to do as many interviews as possible and every candidate offered admission will be interviewed.

What does the underlined mean, Peter? Tell me, please.

--LinkRemoved--

Your move.

[I will assume from your lack of response that you realize I'm right. OP: no JR1 = no shot at HLS admission.]

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:47 pm

Peter North wrote:Good God, this is exactly why I don't like arguing with patent virgin nerds on internet message boards, people like you who spend copious amounts of time hypothesizing about the most banal crap.

First and foremost, again I ask, did you read my response in the other thread? Obviously you didn't. What we discussed (in the thread from Nov 2009) was based on the sample of admits from the past year and the preceding years, which including JD/MBAs, internationals and late-off the-waitlist admits (one whom I happen to know personally, who got in late July of 2009!). This is JR's first year as Dean of HLS admissions. Whether it's a universally applicable policy or not, we don't know. I'm assuming his blog post is US/traditional applicant pool centric. What he said on there is just his feedback on a blog spot but also doesn't there are no exceptions either. It is NOT AN HLS WHITE PAPER POLICY THAT ALL ADMITS will get a phone interview, at least not from what I read on their admissions page.

Ok, Peter, you keep telling yourself that.

OP: don't listen to this idiot. He has no clue what he's talking about. You can listen to Harvard's admissions dean, or you can listen to some random dude on the Internet. Your call.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Peter North wrote:I sincerely hope for OP's sakes s/he isn't an international applicant in some continent or what have you, where a physical interview would seem next to impossible (or heck, if OP might even be hearing impaired).

If one wants to get it from the horse's mouth, best is to call/e-mail HLS admissions yourself, OP.

Plenty of international applicants (in Asia, Africa and Europe) have gotten JR1s and JR2s. I assume there are some in Australia and South America as well. Maybe if OP is a research scientist in Antarctica, then he/she might have a problem, but I doubt it.

Also, Peter, please explain to me what a "patent virgin nerd" is. Thank you.

thelawz09
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby thelawz09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:01 am

crackberry wrote:
Peter North wrote:I sincerely hope for OP's sakes s/he isn't an international applicant in some continent or what have you, where a physical interview would seem next to impossible (or heck, if OP might even be hearing impaired).

If one wants to get it from the horse's mouth, best is to call/e-mail HLS admissions yourself, OP.

Plenty of international applicants (in Asia, Africa and Europe) have gotten JR1s and JR2s. I assume there are some in Australia and South America as well. Maybe if OP is a research scientist in Antarctica, then he/she might have a problem, but I doubt it.

Also, Peter, please explain to me what a "patent virgin nerd" is. Thank you.


hahahahhahaha

This has been the best experience I have ever had in getting a question answered. Ever. Thank you to both of you for 1) answering my question (I think?) and 2) entertaining me for at least three minutes. I appreciate it.

PS: Unfortunately I'm not an international student or a research scientist in Antarctica. Those would make for pretty sweet personal statements though.

User avatar
existenz
Posts: 927
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:06 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby existenz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:26 am

Peter North vs. crackberry. Classic.

Thanks for the laughs fellas.

CordeliusX
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:48 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 pm

Honestly - I would have put this thread in the specific law school section... I've seen plenty of HLS applicants who don't even know the JR-lingo...

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby BenJ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:31 pm

thelawz09 wrote:
hahahahhahaha

This has been the best experience I have ever had in getting a question answered. Ever. Thank you to both of you for 1) answering my question (I think?) and 2) entertaining me for at least three minutes. I appreciate it.

PS: Unfortunately I'm not an international student or a research scientist in Antarctica. Those would make for pretty sweet personal statements though.


:)

It did make me curious what HLS would do if they a got a deaf or otherwise hearing impaired applicant, however.

User avatar
crackberry
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby crackberry » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:29 pm

BenJ wrote: :)

It did make me curious what HLS would do if they a got a deaf or otherwise hearing impaired applicant, however.

Yeah, I'd imagine they might skip the formalities with a deaf student. It is possible that a deaf student could get into HLS without any sort of interview/screening process, but I sincerely doubt that's what Mr. North had in mind when he spouted off about this.

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby TheLuckyOne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:00 pm

Ok, crackberry, you're wrong and Peter North is right. There are exceptions. Admissions office generally doesn't call abroad, and I haven't heard of international students getting phone calls.

International students you could be referring to are those who currently live in the US, however, those who are oversees are not hearing from JR (most likely).

Piece, folks 8)

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:Ok, crackberry, you're wrong and Peter North is right. There are exceptions. Admissions office generally doesn't call abroad, and I haven't heard of international students getting phone calls.

International students you could be referring to are those who currently live in the US, however, those who are oversees are not hearing from JR (most likely).

Piece, folks 8)


TLS's Zara, who is an American but is currently in Asia (Japan, IIRC) got a JR1 call even though she was admitted via email.* They do interview international applicants by phone.

*My recollections may be subject to revision without notice.

User avatar
TheLuckyOne
Posts: 318
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:00 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby TheLuckyOne » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:12 pm

BenJ wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Ok, crackberry, you're wrong and Peter North is right. There are exceptions. Admissions office generally doesn't call abroad, and I haven't heard of international students getting phone calls.

International students you could be referring to are those who currently live in the US, however, those who are oversees are not hearing from JR (most likely).

Piece, folks 8)


TLS's Zara, who is an American but is currently in Asia (Japan, IIRC) got a JR1 call even though she was admitted via email.* They do interview international applicants by phone.

*My recollections may be subject to revision without notice.


Just because they interview some, doesn't mean they interview all. I'm 100% sure they did not call some international students in the previous cycles. Moreso, I even remember some Americans complaining they won't be getting a call because they are abroad. By the way, I followed cycles starting with 2007.

P.S. your tar is adorable :D

BenJ
Posts: 1353
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby BenJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:36 pm

TheLuckyOne wrote:
BenJ wrote:
TheLuckyOne wrote:Ok, crackberry, you're wrong and Peter North is right. There are exceptions. Admissions office generally doesn't call abroad, and I haven't heard of international students getting phone calls.

International students you could be referring to are those who currently live in the US, however, those who are oversees are not hearing from JR (most likely).

Piece, folks 8)


TLS's Zara, who is an American but is currently in Asia (Japan, IIRC) got a JR1 call even though she was admitted via email.* They do interview international applicants by phone.

*My recollections may be subject to revision without notice.


Just because they interview some, doesn't mean they interview all. I'm 100% sure they did not call some international students in the previous cycles. Moreso, I even remember some Americans complaining they won't be getting a call because they are abroad. By the way, I followed cycles starting with 2007.

P.S. your tar is adorable :D


This may have changed with the new cycle and new admissions dean--many schools have changed their strategies somewhat or even radically over the past few years even without changing admissions deans. I do not think anyone admitted has reported not getting a JR1 call this year, while some international students have been surprised about getting JR1s.

And thanks :D

User avatar
adameus
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:07 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby adameus » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

The question is, how do you get a coveted JR3?

trutherd
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:26 am

Re: no JR1 at Harvard

Postby trutherd » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 pm

This is all speculative and directly contradicts guidance offered by the Dean of Admissions. Bottom line: he's new this year, so there's no reason to expect that any policies of past years will continue. Now, that's only the base assumption--then he published this on the admissions blog in October:

Some clarity around interviews

admissions - October 22, 2009 @ 9:30 pm · Filed under Admissions Process

One of the most frequent questions I get from prospective students is about our phone interviews. As I have just started doing interviews this week, I thought I’d try to provide some clarity around the process and interview topics.

Each year, we invite many prospective students to have a 10-15 minute phone conversation. The number of phone interviews varies from year to year – we try to do as many interviews as possible and every candidate offered admission will be interviewed. Don’t worry if you aren’t invited to interview right away – our interviews continue through the spring and into the summer.

The interviews are meant to be relatively informal and give me a chance to learn more about you than I can from your paper application. Typically we’ll discuss some of what you’re working on right now (in school or at work) and will talk about why law school makes sense for you. I may also have a specific question or two to clarify something from your application. I’ll also try to leave time in case you have any questions for me, but don’t feel any pressure here – it’s okay if you don’t have a question you want to ask.

That’s it – no trick questions. I promise.

I look forward to speaking with many of you over the coming months.

- Josh


The bolded crimson is unambiguous. Until presented with actual evidence from this cycle, there is no room for exception.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: earldasquirel, xn3345 and 7 guests