3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Showtimer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 pm

3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby Showtimer » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:25 pm

i took the Lsat twice my scores were similar both times i had 3 and 3 and a hal fhours of sleep on both of them respectively.

Is it crazy to think about taking it a third time this june(afternoon test) though I will already be accepted with deposit money down? If i do much better I can just withdraw and get a nicer scholarship somewhere in a year or reapply to a higher ranked school. If I do worse it wouldn't matter because i gave a deposit to my school of choice right?

User avatar
thelawguy777
Posts: 65
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:46 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby thelawguy777 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Personally, I think it's pointless to take it again.

gustrock
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby gustrock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:36 pm

I have thought about this as well. Anyone have any experience in attempting this? Can you receive scholly money from a school you already put your deposit down for?

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:50 pm

It's not pointless. If you think you can do significantly better, and you have a strong enough desire to go to a better school, then you're absolutely right that it couldn't hurt. A school would never repeal an admissions decision for a lower LSAT( a 2.0 and 2 dui's in your last semester, maybe, but not a lower LSAT).

Doubtful as far as more scholly money goes though. I'm considering doing this as well, but I'm just not sure if I CAN score higher, I got the same score both times I took it, but I feel I could possibly do better of I approached studying for it differently(e.g. Not kaplan robot approach).
Last edited by NU_Jet55 on Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSATfromNC
Posts: 735
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:29 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby LSATfromNC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I did this. Outcome, miraculously pulled off 3 wait list within days of getting my score. I decided to wait and have now been offered near full rides to places I was waitlisted/rejected last year. I ended up having to wait a year anyway so it worked out.

DukeHopeful
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby DukeHopeful » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:59 pm

I definitely plan on retaking it in June, to see if I can turn my 169 into a 170s score. If I break 172-174, I will probably put serious thought into forfeiting seat deposits and applying on day one of next years cycle. It's $1XX, and could mean tens of thousands in scholly money (Talk about ROI). And if you don't do better, oh well, you go to the school you'd already planned on :) . Plus, the difference in 169/170 this year is crazy.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

Like I said previously, I'm also considering taking the LSAT again in June. If I improve enough, I will wait and apply again on the first day next cycle. If I don't improve, then I'll just take the acceptances I have now. I've taken it twice now (Dec 08 and June 09) and I received a 164 both times. With my 3.9 GPA, that puts me just out of range of the T14. On my practice tests and such I generally scored in the 161-163 range, so clearly I am good at maximizing my results on test day, but I really think that if I focused and studied differently (using an approach more directly targeted at improving my 164 instead of using the same old Kaplan approach I used the last two times).

I want to improve to a 170 range if possible. I have approx. 3 hrs/day to study during the week and quite a bit of time to study during the weekends. What would be the best way for me to approach studying for the test?

User avatar
danr2040
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby danr2040 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:23 pm

DukeHopeful wrote:I definitely plan on retaking it in June, to see if I can turn my 169 into a 170s score. If I break 172-174, I will probably put serious thought into forfeiting seat deposits and applying on day one of next years cycle. It's $1XX, and could mean tens of thousands in scholly money (Talk about ROI). And if you don't do better, oh well, you go to the school you'd already planned on :) . Plus, the difference in 169/170 this year is crazy.


Tremendous ROI indeed, particularly if you have a high GPA and the LSAT is the weak part of your application. I took the June LSAT (third timer) while deposited at a lower T-14. By moving from the high 160s to the low 170s (a difference of two or three measly questions and a slightly more generous curve) I went from a lower T-14 with no money to a T-10 with $$. Much safer ITE.

Frankly, I think everyone who has less than a 175 ought to give the LSAT one more try after they have already banked acceptances at target schools. Its like taking a long three pointer at the last second of a tied basketball game. If the shot misses, you look a little silly but still get to overtime, just like you would have if you didn't take the shot. If you sink it, you win without risking a loss in overtime.

User avatar
GATORTIM
Posts: 1214
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby GATORTIM » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:27 pm

after reading this, I think that I'm going to register for June

User avatar
SOCRATiC
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:22 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby SOCRATiC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:35 pm

If you only had three hours of sleep for both tests, then I'd say that it wouldn't hurt for you to sit for the exam again. The score you have right now isn't representative of your "LSAT ability."

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:55 am

I'm already on board with this plan... gotta get that 170

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 am

My cycle has been lackluster so far and I am considering doing this as well. The problem is after I do this, then what do I do? Ever since I graduated from college my life has been stagnant: I have not been able to find even part time work and I fear it would be another year of stagnation and money spent for what really isn't a sure thing.

Would I be better off taking an offer from a T2 w/$$, prove my mettle there, and then transfer to a T1 or should I retake the LSAT in June?

FTR my LSAT score was 161, and in practice my high was 169 and my low was 155 (that one I took cold). I self studied using LSAC materials.

User avatar
whuts4lunch
Posts: 391
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby whuts4lunch » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:12 am

No reason not to retake; the cost of doing so is low and the potential value of pulling a miracle score is high. I'm sure there is a score that, if you got, you would be willing to put off LS a year. Why not roll the dice?

User avatar
Richie Tenenbaum
Posts: 2162
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:17 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:15 am

I did this last year. Improved from mid 160's to mid 170's. Got off two WL's and offered money at both. Decided to take a year off and reapply. Happy with my decision so far, though one of those WL's from last year has yet to offer the same money as last year (which is still one of my top choice schools).

User avatar
los blancos
Posts: 7112
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby los blancos » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:21 am

I'm actually probably going to try this as well. Since my cycle started I really realized that I probably should've taken the December test as I've gotten more stubborn and now I'm CCNB or bust. I'm due to hear back from Berkeley next week, and a good result there will end my cycle. Failing that, however, I think I'm destined for WLs at CCN, and I feel I'd be a near- lock for Chicago if I got 2 more LSAT points and would have a great shot at NYU with one more.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby MURPH » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:10 pm

Read Pithypike's guide and your Powerscore Bibles. Do every practice test you can get your hands on and get into HYS next cycle.

User avatar
Moose Thompson
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby Moose Thompson » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:35 pm

GATORTIM wrote:after reading this, I think that I'm going to register for June



No lie dude. Me too.

User avatar
soundgardener
Posts: 80
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:17 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby soundgardener » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:57 pm

Does a school hold it against if you if they admit you one year, and then you withdraw and reapply the next with a new LSAT score?

sca218ml
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby sca218ml » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:10 pm

What about current outstanding apps, aren't schools notified once you register for the LSAT? Would this lead to a negative perception from adcoms and hurt the app?

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:18 pm

Is there practical value in retaking if waiting a whole cycle is not an option? Can you go from sticker to $$ at your deposited school on such late notice? Can you get bumped up on current waitlists at t10 schools? Specifically, if you are WL at a school with an already 75th LSAT, do they have any reason whatsoever to care about a few extra points? How about if you can go from median to >75th?

User avatar
danr2040
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby danr2040 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:25 pm

sca218ml wrote:What about current outstanding apps, aren't schools notified once you register for the LSAT? Would this lead to a negative perception from adcoms and hurt the app?


Before I signed up for the June test, I talked to an LSAC rep. She said that nothing is sent to inform schools that you have signed up for a future LSAT. They will not receive anything from LSAC until your score report is updated with the new June score.

This makes some sense, as why would schools ask on the application for you to disclose whether you signed up for a future LSAT if they would find out regardless?

It may be possible for a school to specifically inquire about your LSDAS status and find out that you are taking the June test that way. I asked Dean Pless, the U. of Illinois Admissions Dean who used to post here and he said that while he could find out if someone is registered to take the LSAT again, there was no way he could stay so up-to-date on one individual applicant out of the thousands he deals with. So I think that even if it is technically possible for the school to find out early, they in all likelihood will not.

As to whether registering for the June LSAT after already being admitted annoys adcomms, Dean Pless said that he would not hold a grudge against an applicant who tried this strategy. I suppose another adcomm could feel differently.

But I doubt there would be any implications to their negative feelings. Rescinding your application and finding someone off of the waitlist would take a lot of work. And, if you take the June test, do better and decide to stay with the school, they can take your higher number only. There is upside for them in allowing you to take the test too.

sca218ml
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:58 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby sca218ml » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:33 pm

Awesome, that was a very informative response, thanks!

User avatar
danr2040
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby danr2040 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:47 pm

sca218ml wrote:Awesome, that was a very informative response, thanks!


You're welcome. I screwed up the LSAT on the first try and did not take it very well; I want other TLSers to know that you still have "outs" even after underperforming early.

LieutKaffee wrote:Is there practical value in retaking if waiting a whole cycle is not an option? Can you go from sticker to $$ at your deposited school on such late notice? Can you get bumped up on current waitlists at t10 schools? Specifically, if you are WL at a school with an already 75th LSAT, do they have any reason whatsoever to care about a few extra points? How about if you can go from median to >75th?


I got in off of the WL at a T10 doing this, and several other TLSers reported getting in off of WLs or getting $$ at their school during their current cycle. So yes, you can get $$ and be bumped on a waitlist.

As to the second part of the question, I doubt it will help if you are already at their 75th for LSAT, but I have no evidence that this is the case. It will probably have the most effect on reverse-splitters.

ctn8
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby ctn8 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 pm

I've pretty much resigned myself to the OP's potential course of action as well; that is, taking the LSAT in June (which will be my 2nd time), hoping that an ostensibly better score will result in more money or my admittance off of several T14 waitlists, and either attending law school this cycle or applying on the very first day for next year's. I really don't see any downside to this plan. Worst case scenario: I spend $150 to buy piece of mind that my mid 160s is about as high as I'll ever get. Sure beats wondering, "what if?"

Also, is anybody else as confident as I am that the later test time will surely yield better results? I got about 4 hours of teeth-grinding partial sleep before the December LSAT because I was worrying about the test and its early time. I think I'll function way better at 12:30.

User avatar
Lieut Kaffee
Posts: 774
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:01 am

Re: 3rd Lsat in June...AFTER acceptances?

Postby Lieut Kaffee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:09 pm

danr2040 wrote:
sca218ml wrote:Awesome, that was a very informative response, thanks!


You're welcome. I screwed up the LSAT on the first try and did not take it very well; I want other TLSers to know that you still have "outs" even after underperforming early.

LieutKaffee wrote:Is there practical value in retaking if waiting a whole cycle is not an option? Can you go from sticker to $$ at your deposited school on such late notice? Can you get bumped up on current waitlists at t10 schools? Specifically, if you are WL at a school with an already 75th LSAT, do they have any reason whatsoever to care about a few extra points? How about if you can go from median to >75th?


I got in off of the WL at a T10 doing this, and several other TLSers reported getting in off of WLs or getting $$ at their school during their current cycle. So yes, you can get $$ and be bumped on a waitlist.

As to the second part of the question, I doubt it will help if you are already at their 75th for LSAT, but I have no evidence that this is the case. It will probably have the most effect on reverse-splitters.


I'm a normal splitter, though not an extreme one. Michigan waitlisted me with 172, and the way I look at it, a 176 doesn't do anything for their rankings that 172 doesn't already do. The only way it could help me is if it subjectively convinces them I'm that much better equipped to succeed in LS. I'm probably already relatively "high" on their WL anyway, especially after all the HYSCCN-bound withdraw.

Chicago's 75th is 173, which is what has me considering this (plus CLS if I managed to get WL instead of dinged soon). I feel like moving up a quartile can make a difference.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], m052310, Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests