How many schools did you apply to?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
primusux
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

How many schools did you apply to?

Postby primusux » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 am

How many did you apply to? (I don't care about waivers etc. so please include those)

karmakmsa
Posts: 26
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:16 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby karmakmsa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:19 am

16

User avatar
sidewaysglance
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby sidewaysglance » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:13 am

11

KellyD09
Posts: 56
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby KellyD09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:30 am

19

lawyering
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:27 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby lawyering » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

15 (10 with fee waivers)

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby Bobalou » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:42 am

11

swimbrad
Posts: 184
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:02 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby swimbrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:44 am

20 - I was nervous, perhaps too many in hindsight. Now there are lots of decisions to make now!

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby jl2032 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:45 am

7 schools (3 were fee waivers)

User avatar
cardinalandgold
Posts: 554
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:00 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby cardinalandgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:47 am

19

gustrock
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:11 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby gustrock » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:51 am

18

User avatar
ChEsteve
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby ChEsteve » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:56 am

19 - about 15 of those reaches

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby kswiss » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm

17. All over the place.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:13 pm

15 schools (had more but withdrew a few after receiving an acceptance).
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:14 pm

PDaddy wrote:I think the average is up to about 15-20 schools now, even for the strongest applicants. It used to be 6-10 just a decade ago. Now people are smarter (scholarship negotiations), and there's more competition and less certainty. But I tend to think people "deflate" the number of schools they apply to the same way they fudge upward their GPA/LSAT. Not saying everybody does, but...


4

:X you calling me dumb or you calling me a liar? hahaha :P

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:17 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I think the average is up to about 15-20 schools now, even for the strongest applicants. It used to be 6-10 just a decade ago. Now people are smarter (scholarship negotiations), and there's more competition and less certainty. But I tend to think people "deflate" the number of schools they apply to the same way they fudge upward their GPA/LSAT. Not saying everybody does, but...


4

:X you calling me dumb or you calling me a liar? hahaha :P


I'm calling you a god. You must be 4.3/180! or you have serious connections...or you were already deferred at a school that allowed you to apply to other school this year. Whatever it is, it must be working for you.

User avatar
rachelburns
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby rachelburns » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:19 pm

All the top 14, fee waivers for all but 4 or 5

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:20 pm

PDaddy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I think the average is up to about 15-20 schools now, even for the strongest applicants. It used to be 6-10 just a decade ago. Now people are smarter (scholarship negotiations), and there's more competition and less certainty. But I tend to think people "deflate" the number of schools they apply to the same way they fudge upward their GPA/LSAT. Not saying everybody does, but...


4

:X you calling me dumb or you calling me a liar? hahaha :P


I'm calling you a god. You must be 4.3/180! or you have serious connections...or you were already deferred at a school that allowed you to apply to other school this year. Whatever it is, it must be working for you.


haha my stats are in my profile, and i 100% have 0 connections...and i was in UG when i applied so no post-ugrad WE or deferring

i just believe in putting together a strong application and applying to schools that i would actually strongly consider going to regardless of any other schools i got into

1 sort of reach, 2 targets, 1 safety -- and i applied early as heck, like 9/15 so if i didnt hear back by mid-dec, i was going to send out another 2 targets. fortunately i didnt have to :P

eldizknee
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby eldizknee » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:20 pm

.
Last edited by eldizknee on Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
cendien
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby cendien » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:22 pm

19.

After not scoring as high as I'd have liked on the LSAT, I cut out a majority (all but 2) of the T14 to save on app costs. I kept the two that I really wanted to be at and thought I had a marginal shot at.

I probably applied to more target schools than was really necessary, but I'm appreciating the options that I have right now. As a bit of a splitter, its hard to figure out exactly where the line between target and safety can be drawn, but I would say I only applied to a few safeties (and I haven't heard back from them yet, really). Barring a higher LSAT, I wouldn't change a thing.

User avatar
agentzer0
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I think the average is up to about 15-20 schools now, even for the strongest applicants. It used to be 6-10 just a decade ago. Now people are smarter (scholarship negotiations), and there's more competition and less certainty. But I tend to think people "deflate" the number of schools they apply to the same way they fudge upward their GPA/LSAT. Not saying everybody does, but...


4

:X you calling me dumb or you calling me a liar? hahaha :P


I'm calling you a god. You must be 4.3/180! or you have serious connections...or you were already deferred at a school that allowed you to apply to other school this year. Whatever it is, it must be working for you.


haha my stats are in my profile, and i 100% have 0 connections...and i was in UG when i applied so no post-ugrad WE or deferring

i just believe in putting together a strong application and applying to schools that i would actually strongly consider going to regardless of any other schools i got into

1 sort of reach, 2 targets, 1 safety -- and i applied early as heck, like 9/15 so if i didnt hear back by mid-dec, i was going to send out another 2 targets. fortunately i didnt have to :P


+1

Applying in September gives you the luxury of fewer applications. I think I sent in 5 or 6 (3 fee waivers) and because I got into a good school in early november I didn't have to apply to anywhere I wouldn't want to go

User avatar
cendien
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:24 am

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby cendien » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:24 pm

DoubleChecks wrote:haha my stats are in my profile, and i 100% have 0 connections...and i was in UG when i applied so no post-ugrad WE or deferring

i just believe in putting together a strong application and applying to schools that i would actually strongly consider going to regardless of any other schools i got into

1 sort of reach, 2 targets, 1 safety -- and i applied early as heck, like 9/15 so if i didnt hear back by mid-dec, i was going to send out another 2 targets. fortunately i didnt have to :P


Yeah, unless you've killed a man, I don't think you had much to worry about. Obviously you didn't. Congrats on the cycle!

User avatar
DoubleChecks
Posts: 2333
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby DoubleChecks » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:26 pm

cendien wrote:
DoubleChecks wrote:haha my stats are in my profile, and i 100% have 0 connections...and i was in UG when i applied so no post-ugrad WE or deferring

i just believe in putting together a strong application and applying to schools that i would actually strongly consider going to regardless of any other schools i got into

1 sort of reach, 2 targets, 1 safety -- and i applied early as heck, like 9/15 so if i didnt hear back by mid-dec, i was going to send out another 2 targets. fortunately i didnt have to :P


Yeah, unless you've killed a man, I don't think you had much to worry about. Obviously you didn't. Congrats on the cycle!


haha thanks for the congrats -- and from what i heard, killing a man is really only equivalent to a negative soft :wink:

bworsowicz
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:19 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby bworsowicz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm not leaving the area for the foreseeable future (family considerations, etc). My area has two law schools, both of which do fairly well in terms of job placement here.

User avatar
oberlin08
Posts: 426
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:37 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby oberlin08 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:57 pm

haha.. 25, all over the place. A bunch of fee waivers mixed in there though.

Still too many I think considering I'll only be attending 1 8)

User avatar
traehekat
Posts: 3195
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:00 pm

Re: How many schools did you apply to?

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:27 am

20 with about 4 or 5 fee waivers in there. Targeted most of the Midwest/Big Ten and some regional schools that do well in their respective markets (Colorado, Florida, Arizona). Oh, and UNC... *sigh*




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ellielaw and 2 guests