Telling a school your their top choice even when theyre not

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
PDaddy

Re: Telling a school your their top choice even when theyre not

Postby PDaddy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:21 am

It's ridiculous for schools to believe it unless you have applied ED, the school has WL'd you deep into the summer and your numbers are way below median, or you have only applied to about 6 schools.

gmail

Postby gmail » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:22 am

It's not going to get you money but it could add weight to a LOCI. It might really help with getting off a waitlist, as adcomms are rushing to fill those final slots and aren't keen on dealing with someone who won't immediately throw down a deposit. And it's about as immoral as law school deans telling us that it's not just the LSAT and GPA, but the 'total package' that counts.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:40 am

icydash wrote:
Lonagan wrote:I question the underlying premise that telling a school they are your number one is a good way to get them to give you more money. If they know they are on top of your list already, then they know they don't have to try as hard to get you as they would if they were, say, number three.

Expressing enthusiastic interest while simultaneously noting you have several attractive options and will be swayed by the aid package seems more effective to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If you say that a school is your number one choice, but you want more money, it'll leave the adcom thinking..."if we're his number one choice already, he should be knocking down the door to go here without any money at all/thrilled to even be accepted...we probably could have gotten away with giving him nothing..."

It may end up actually being counterproductive.

+1

horrible negotiating strategy, OP. You gotta play it cool.

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:05 am

Also thought of this: if you get into the T6, especially HYS, then I think it's complicated because they are assuming that they are your #1 choice, or at least, that you'd be ecstatic to get in. Not sure how to tell those schools you especially love them, when everyone else does too :wink:

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:17 am

CordeliusX wrote:Also thought of this: if you get into the T6, especially HYS, then I think it's complicated because they are assuming that they are your #1 choice, or at least, that you'd be ecstatic to get in. Not sure how to tell those schools you especially love them, when everyone else does too :wink:

Why do you have to tell them if they know it and you know it?

Kchuck

Postby Kchuck » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:21 am

I told a school they were my top choice and they gave me a 30k scholarship per year.

Ten minutes later they took back the offer.

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 am

edit.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”