Telling a school your their top choice even when theyre not

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
corporatelaw87

Postby corporatelaw87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:52 am

Is this necessarily bad? If I wanted to negotiate scholarship money, I am going to tell the school I am negotiating with they are my top choice in hopes of getting more money, but they really might not be, and even if I get more money I may not go.

gossipgirl

Re: Telling a school your their top choice even when theyre not

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 am

I think you know that misleading or lying to a school is not the right course of action.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 am

Just tell them you are considering your options and that you do really like them because of a, b, and c, and that more money would make your choice that much easier. Don't lie. It's classless.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:16 am

Lying to them is a really good idea and it may get you more scholarship money. On the off chance that you do get more money and you do decide to attend, make sure to tell them to update your C & F section, informing them that you once lied to a law school in order to squeeze more money out of the school.

jetlagz28

Postby jetlagz28 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:17 am

Just don't tell them.... "I will attend if you offer me more money"......then say "Thanks for the money but I'm not interested"....

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

corporatelaw87 wrote:Is this necessarily bad? If I wanted to negotiate scholarship money, I am going to tell the school I am negotiating with they are my top choice in hopes of getting more money, but they really might not be, and even if I get more money I may not go.

just say they are one of your top choices. it's just like law schools telling you that you are a highly qualified candidate, who they believe will fare well in law school, but decided to give that seat to another equally qualified candidate. I think that mutual contempt between the school and the students is fair.

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 pm

SandyC877 wrote:
corporatelaw87 wrote:Is this necessarily bad? If I wanted to negotiate scholarship money, I am going to tell the school I am negotiating with they are my top choice in hopes of getting more money, but they really might not be, and even if I get more money I may not go.

just say they are one of your top choices. it's just like law schools telling you that you are a highly qualified candidate, who they believe will fare well in law school, but decided to give that seat to another equally qualified candidate. I think that mutual contempt between the school and the students is fair.

Yeah I would say that lying is not good in the law school application process. Say they are among your top choices and find a tactful way to get the point across that more scholarship money may make you shift more towards them. Don't say a school is your top choice unless it absolutely is.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm

So you're going to tell them that you are their top choice? That's awfully assertive.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:So you're going to tell them that you are their top choice? That's awfully assertive.

hahahaha wow. I think this thread could be a huge flame right back at us.

twert

Postby twert » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:26 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:So you're going to tell them that you are their top choice? That's awfully assertive.

lol

HBK

Postby HBK » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:31 pm

How about :

Telling a school they're your top choice even when they're not

I can't believe law schools are admitting illiterates nowadays.

twert

Postby twert » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:32 pm

HBK wrote:

How about :

Telling a school they're your top choice even when they're not

I can't believe law schools are admitting illiterates nowadays.

alright, calm down. its just a message board, people make mistakes, no one is illiterate.

chocho

Postby chocho » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:34 pm

well tell them in however way that u want more money, and that it would help you make them become your number one choice, if they give u 100,000 dollars and you still dont want them, its not an issue because as far as ur concerned, you needed 101,000.

GlobeTrotter

Postby GlobeTrotter » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:39 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FltRUoAaGdo

even if they're not...

even if they're not...

CordeliusX

Postby CordeliusX » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I don't see anything wrong with telling a school you really want to go there, you think it's the best school for you, etc. But I do think explicitly saying "You are my top choice" or "I will go to you instead of anyone else" is bad unless you truly mean it and will follow through.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:52 pm

I can't believe people on this board criticize others for poor grammar and say they are illiterate. Hopefully, the poster was just trying to make a point by being dramatic. If not, this sort of attitude should be kept in check. Small mistakes like that should not bother readers.

Switching gears, this is a very interesting thread. What if a school really is your top choice, and you tell them. Even if you show them why they are your top choice, I wonder if they believe it because they get may hear a lot of similar statements. Not that you shouldn't say it, I just wonder what admissions officers think. Is there a thread/article which contains information directly from former admissions officers?

I don't think you should directly say "This school is my top choice." I agree with the other posters advice.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:55 pm

I told a school that they were my top choice, because at the time they were. Since then, they have sort of become my second choice. I feel kind of bad about it, but at the end of the day, the chance they both let me in is relatively low so it isn't a problem, till it is of course.

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:58 pm

pattymac

Postby pattymac » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:42 pm

where did that come from Sandy??

roadkilllaw

Postby roadkilllaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:46 pm

pattymac wrote:where did that come from Sandy??

+1

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:58 pm

pattymac wrote:where did that come from Sandy??

the above youtube vid link

Underoath

Postby Underoath » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am

Whenever someone starts a thread that is against "the norm" everyone considers the poster a flame. I literally LOL.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:03 am

The world of law school admissions is smaller than you think...

Just some food for thought. :wink:

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:41 am

I question the underlying premise that telling a school they are your number one is a good way to get them to give you more money. If they know they are on top of your list already, then they know they don't have to try as hard to get you as they would if they were, say, number three.

Expressing enthusiastic interest while simultaneously noting you have several attractive options and will be swayed by the aid package seems more effective to me.

icydash

Postby icydash » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:57 am

Lonagan wrote:I question the underlying premise that telling a school they are your number one is a good way to get them to give you more money. If they know they are on top of your list already, then they know they don't have to try as hard to get you as they would if they were, say, number three.

Expressing enthusiastic interest while simultaneously noting you have several attractive options and will be swayed by the aid package seems more effective to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If you say that a school is your number one choice, but you want more money, it'll leave the adcom thinking..."if we're his number one choice already, he should be knocking down the door to go here without any money at all/thrilled to even be accepted...we probably could have gotten away with giving him nothing..."

It may end up actually being counterproductive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”