154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
william wallace

Re: 154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Postby william wallace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:02 am

yeah I have seen some of the examples, but no one came to a conclusion as to whether it was a good idea to actually tell them you have ADHD. Then a mountain of questions arise including:

1. If they think you have ADHD, they may think you can't handle a tough course load, which is bullshit
2. They'll say: Why didn't you apply to extended time?

To which my answer would be: I applied for it on the GMAT and after spending like $1500 on trying to get the proper paperwork and many hours, I was rejected. They said they couldn't believe I was granted extended time for the ACT given that I had a 25, which to them meant I don't have a problem with standardized tests. Which is total bullshit as well. I hear that the LSAC gives extended time about as much as the GMAT people (GMAC) do.

Then they would ask: Well, why did you change your mind from an MBA blah blah blah.

Maybe I should just start adding to the forums that are more about this topic.

For now, it's finish PS, get apps to Arkansas, UALR, FIU and a few others.

icydash

Postby icydash » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:11 am

Well I mean everyone struggles with timing to begin with...and everyone would do better if they had extended time...taking the test under the pressure of timing is half the battle.

This IS the kind of thing you put in an addendum, but honestly, I think you just need to practice a lot more. The more you practice, the faster you get. Once you learn how the authors think, and what common errors they put into problems, you don't have to even read the question half the time; you can just go straight to the answer..

Long story short, I would add an addendum explaining this to your admissions profile, but don't use it as an excuse. You are capable of a 160+ score, you just may need to put in a little more time than most. Since you know this, you're ahead of the game.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:17 am

I wouldn't think that it would need to be as complex as what you are saying here. If I were in your situation, I would just write a couple short, and I mean short, paragraphs that are clearly written stating that you struggle now, and have struggled in the past with standardized tests.

I wouldn't mention anything regarding the GMAT. I wouldn't say anything about ADHD. The most I would say, is that at times you lose focus when you are really crunched for time on tests, and that you have suffered from a learning disability that makes it hard to complete tests in quick fashion, but, as demonstrated by the demonstrably significant difference in your ACT scores when you were given a bit extra time, you are quite capable of doing well on these tests. Then, I would allude briefly to your inability to to pay for the medical exams, etc... that the LSAT requires of applicants to get extra time, but that you have been allotted extra time in the past.

Then I would briefly, and I mean briefly (2 sentences at most), demonstrate your scholastic accomplishments as a way of signifying that you can do the work in law school.

For the schools that you are applying to (outside of the top 50), I think what they most are concerned about is whether they think that you have what it takes to do the required work in law school. A low LSAT, such as your current one, brings this in to question, and all that you should be trying to do, is show in another way that your test score does not define your abilities.

For the most part, you are just trying to separate yourself from the other applicants with similar test scores (153-156). If you explain this and someone else doesn't, the adcoms are most likely going to view your application a bit higher than the other person, ceteris paribus.

Hope this helps! And do not feel like I am stocking you, you are just the only one who posts this late at night, so it gives me something to do while I am still awake.
Last edited by DeSilentio2728 on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

icydash

Postby icydash » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:I wouldn't think that it would need to be as complex as what you are saying here. If I were in your situation, I would just write a couple short, and I mean short, paragraphs that are clearly written stating that you struggle now, and have struggled in the past with standardized tests.

I wouldn't mention anything regarding the GMAT. I wouldn't say anything about ADHD. The most I would say, is that at times you lose focus when you are really crunched for time on tests, and that you have suffered from a learning disability that makes it hard to complete tests in quick fashion, but, as demonstrated by the demonstrably significant difference in your ACT scores when you were given a bit extra time, you are quite capable of doing well on these tests. Then, I would allude briefly to your inability to to pay for the medical exams, etc... that the LSAT requires of applicants to get extra time, but that you have been allotted extra time in the past.

Then I would briefly, and I mean briefly (2 sentences at most), demonstrate your scholastic accomplishments as a way of signifying that you can do the work in law school.

For the schools that you are applying to (outside of the top 50), I think what they most are concerned about is whether they think that you have what it takes to do the required work in law school. A low LSAT, such as your current one, brings this in to question, and all that you should be trying to do, is show in another way that your test score does not define your abilities.

Hope this helps! And do not feel like I am stocking you, you are just the only one who posts this late at night, so it gives me something to do while I am still awake.

I don't know. When all is said and done, it's a numbers game. If he has two below-median numbers, they aren't going to care WHY he has them...just that he pulls down the schools statistics. I think the addendum is appropriate, but I think he needs to at least be a splitter for it to make a difference (huge GPA, low LSAT).

It would be one thing if he had a 3.9 GPA and could say "entrance exams don't define me" and point to his GPA to prove it....but his GPA is just as low as his LSAT score. Again, I don't think an addendum would do much here unless he was a splitter.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:31 am

icydash wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:I wouldn't think that it would need to be as complex as what you are saying here. If I were in your situation, I would just write a couple short, and I mean short, paragraphs that are clearly written stating that you struggle now, and have struggled in the past with standardized tests.

I don't know. When all is said and done, it's a numbers game. If he has two below-median numbers, they aren't going to care WHY he has them...just that he pulls down the schools statistics. I think the addendum is appropriate, but I think he needs to at least be a splitter for it to make a difference (huge GPA, low LSAT).

It would be one thing if he had a 3.9 GPA and could say "entrance exams don't define me" and point to his GPA to prove it....but his GPA is just as low as his LSAT score. Again, I don't think an addendum would do much here unless he was a splitter.

And you are most likely correct, but with that logic, then he shouldn't apply to any law schools as he will just bring down most of their numbers. The fact is, he is applying to law school this year, and he has to work with what he's got. If the applications don't work out for him this year, then he can reapply next year after retaking the lsat, but for the sake of this year, he's got to make his applications the strongest he can.

icydash

Postby icydash » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:And you are most likely correct, but with that logic, then he shouldn't apply to any law schools as he will just bring down most of their numbers.

Retake the LSAT.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:48 am

If you are applying to law school right now for fall 2010 entrance, the best advice I have for you is this:\

-Drop all your addenda
-Make sure your personal statement is really solid
-Apply now. As in like, sometime in the next 18 hours.

Here's a sample timeline:
-you apply Friday, March 5
-you go complete somewhere around March 19 *assuming you already have LORs completed and processed by LSDAS
-your application goes in front of a committee in mid April
-you hear back sometime in early to mid May
-you have little time to visit schools/decide what's best for you

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but this is best case scenario for you (with the numbers you have and the schools you are applying to). Your biggest enemy is TIME, you are already incredibly late in the cycle, and your numbers aren't strong enough to get you out of that hole. Apply now before you lose too much time and your app doesn't even get looked at.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:49 am

icydash wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:And you are most likely correct, but with that logic, then he shouldn't apply to any law schools as he will just bring down most of their numbers.

Retake the LSAT.

How dare you incorrectly quote me (j/k).

I think for most applicants you are correct, but what happens when, after months of constant studying he doesn't improve his score? Perhaps he has the capacity to improve, but he may not, and all he will have done is wasted a year. He is giving this cycle a shot, and if he doesn't get in where he thinks he will fit in well, then I am sure he'll be back on tls next year. Perhaps, a compromise is in order here. Put applications in now, retake in June, if June's score is demonstrably higher then forsaken the seat deposit he will have already spent, and reapply to better schools.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:50 am

jeeptiger09 wrote:If you are applying to law school right now for fall 2010 entrance, the best advice I have for you is this:\

-Drop all your addenda

-you go complete somewhere around March 19 *assuming you already have LORs completed and processed by LSDAS

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here, but this is best case scenario for you (with the numbers you have and the schools you are applying to). Your biggest enemy is TIME, you are already incredibly late in the cycle, and your numbers aren't strong enough to get you out of that hole. Apply now before you lose too much time and your app doesn't even get looked at.

Very Solid Advice!!!!!!

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:55 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:If you are applying to law school right now for fall 2010 entrance, the best advice I have for you is this:\

-Drop all your addenda

Very Solid Advice!!!!!!

Cancel Previous acknowledgment. I just read your PS and you got some work to do. Fortunately, most PT programs have extended deadlines, and some of the lower ranked schools do, also. Take the next two weeks and really get yourself a good PS, etc... As after reading your PS in its current state, I can guarantee you that you will not be getting into many programs, as it is riddled with grammatical errors, and needs to be thinned. These are common problems, and that is why, as the saying goes, "The only good writing, is rewriting". You just need some other people to help you edit your PS. I have started by responding to your other thread. You just need to take a couple of days and work with those critiques, and then come back to the thread, and we can work on your grammar problems.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:53 am

Okay yeah I don't know which PS you read. If it was the one that I made a thread for, then yeah, it was horrible at first. But I have changed it a lot. I am going back to change that one too.

UGA2010

Postby UGA2010 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:45 am

Try Georgia State part-time... but you're already really late for this cycle so apply ASAP! If you're wanting to stay in Atlanta try John Marshall. You might also want to look into Charleston law school and maybe try Mercer. You could always take a year off and take a LSAT course and try again.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:27 pm

UGA2010 wrote:If you're wanting to stay in Atlanta try John Marshall.

30K per year for a school that just became accredited in 2009? Barely has an alumni network? Competition in the ATL market from UGA, GA State, Vandy, Emory, and T-14 grads? Tread carefully.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:27 pm

does applying to both part-time and full-time decrease your chances of part-time admssion

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 pm

Yes I considered John Marshall because my cousin went there. I also considered Mercer after hearing about it from a friend who attends there when I told him I was interested in moving to Georgia as I have family there. Both of these schools have fallen out of my price range. I'm looking almost exclusively at public schools where there is a good chance of receiving in-state tuition rates after the first year. Also have family in SC so I applied to USC but Charleston is expensive.

Working on the PS. I'm glad I realize it's weaknesses before going with a similar format, even if it wasn't final.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:16 pm

anyone think I should withdraw my applications to both the full-time and part-time applications for each school I am/will apply to? The reason would be that I may have a better a chance to get part-time if I do this. I think for a lot of people that check "Both" for the two programs are reviewed just like the FT applicants and thrown out or accepted accordingly.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:52 pm

I was accepted to UALR Full-time as of Thursday.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:05 am

william wallace wrote:I was accepted to UALR Full-time as of Thursday.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's a great fallback school for you. At less than $10,000 tuition per year, you are set up well for a Public Interest job in Arkansas.

william wallace

Postby william wallace » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:46 pm

Thank you Diselentio!!!! How's the process going for you? Do you know where you're going?

I'm still thinking about taking the LSAT in June. I'm in Buenos Aires again but I can take it here in June. Then if I do very well I could sit out a year.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”