154, 3.28: Should I apply to.... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
william wallace

New

154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Post by william wallace » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:29 pm

Should I bother applying to UGA?
What about South Carolina?

I just got my score but I've been waiting b/c I don't want to waste the money. You can't win if you don't play. But the odds are against me. I speak Spanish if that will be a good soft.

colemf

Bronze

Re: 154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Post by colemf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:43 pm

yea......you don't have a chance in hell at either of those two schools.

william wallace

New

PLEASE HELP - 154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Post by william wallace » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 pm

For that matter, I have others that I'm considering pushing the "send" button. Just going to lay it out there. No, you won't be hurting my feelings, please be honest so I don't waste money. But, if you think there's a chance let me know. I am including all the schools this time.

Schools with 3/1 deadlines

1. American University
2. UGA
3. UNC
4. Oregon
5. South Carolina

Schools with other deadlines that aren't as urgent:
1. Georgia State (would love to go here)
2. Florida State
3. Florida International (Spanish could help, and it's not as competitive)
4. Miami
5. Mercer
6. Arkansas
7. University of Arkansas at Little Rock

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:49 pm

apply for food stamps.

jetlagz28

Bronze

Post by jetlagz28 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:50 pm

Just send to as many as you can afford and that you would be comfortable attending for 3 years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Re: PLEASE HELP - 154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:55 pm

william wallace wrote:For that matter, I have others that I'm considering pushing the "send" button. Just going to lay it out there. No, you won't be hurting my feelings, please be honest so I don't waste money. But, if you think there's a chance let me know. I am including all the schools this time.

1. American University
2. UGA
3. UNC
4. Oregon
5. South Carolina

2. Florida State
4. Miami
5. Mercer
6. Arkansas
I don't mean to be disrespectful, but have you done any research into the schools you've listed? You're pretty much out of contention at all but a few of them. Check out the median LSAT and GPA at the schools you've listed and you should have a pretty good idea of where your chances stand.

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:19 am

I don't think there is any chance for me at American/UGA/UNC.

No, you are not being disrespectful at all. Maybe I am just hoping that someone will tell me I do have a chance at the three schools I just listed. On the other hand, someone posted that I only have a chance at a few of the schools. Okay, which ones did you mean specifically?

Wiggsb - thank you for your honesty. I have definitely been doing my research at US News and by the schools websites. BTW, US News' numbers are almost always lower. Maybe their numbers are from the year before.

Regarding South Carolina: 25th percentile 156/3.05 - So there's no chance there?
Oregon: 157, 3.11 - " "?
Georgia State: 158, 3.12 - This one doesn't look too promising. My GPA is a little better but my LSAT is obviously not good enough. What do you think? I really want this one.
Florida State - I am below both of the 25 percentile scores. Probably should cross it off.
Florida International: I'm above both
Miami: borderline
Mercer: Above both, not by much on either
Arkansas: Above both, not by much on either
UALR: same

So, how am I out of contention with all of these? Why should I look at the median instead of the 25th percentile? The median LSAT is usually about 2 or 3 points above 25th percentile. Are you saying that if I barely make the 25th percentile then my other score will need to be at or closer to the median?

Okay, so is what you're saying "yeah, you are above the 25th percentile in each one, but not by much. The scores are not for the same people so one acceptee could have my same GPA and an LSAT of 10 points higher?"

If that's the case, does that mean there is NO chance?

I'm not trying to be defensive, you guys are probably correct. I just need to see why so I don't miss a chance, albeit a small one.

Thank you so much for your input!

lawschoolstudent85

Bronze

Post by lawschoolstudent85 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:27 am

william wallace wrote:I don't think there is any chance for me at American/UGA/UNC.

No, you are not being disrespectful at all. Maybe I am just hoping that someone will tell me I do have a chance at the three schools I just listed. On the other hand, someone posted that I only have a chance at a few of the schools. Okay, which ones did you mean specifically?

Wiggsb - thank you for your honesty. I have definitely been doing my research at US News and by the schools websites. BTW, US News' numbers are almost always lower. Maybe their numbers are from the year before.

Regarding South Carolina: 25th percentile 156/3.05 - So there's no chance there?
Oregon: 157, 3.11 - " "?
Georgia State: 158, 3.12 - This one doesn't look too promising. My GPA is a little better but my LSAT is obviously not good enough. What do you think? I really want this one.
Florida State - I am below both of the 25 percentile scores. Probably should cross it off.
Florida International: I'm above both
Miami: borderline
Mercer: Above both, not by much on either
Arkansas: Above both, not by much on either
UALR: same

So, how am I out of contention with all of these? Why should I look at the median instead of the 25th percentile? The median LSAT is usually about 2 or 3 points above 25th percentile. Are you saying that if I barely make the 25th percentile then my other score will need to be at or closer to the median?

Okay, so is what you're saying "yeah, you are above the 25th percentile in each one, but not by much. The scores are not for the same people so one acceptee could have my same GPA and an LSAT of 10 points higher?"

If that's the case, does that mean there is NO chance?

I'm not trying to be defensive, you guys are probably correct. I just need to see why so I don't miss a chance, albeit a small one.

Thank you so much for your input!
The reason you need to focus on the medians not the 25% is because that's what the schools focus on. They want students who increase their median scores. If you fall just above both of a school's 25% you stand to hurt their median in both categories. Now if you're above the median in one category and below or right at the 25% in another that's a different story. In that case you actually help the school to raise it's stats. This is how you need to evaluate your chances.

Very simply: If the school's stats is going to take a hit across the board by accepting you, you're probably not going to be getting in.

Does that give you a better sense for why most, if not all of those schools, won't be sending you an acceptance letter?

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am

SoxyPirate wrote:apply for food stamps.
Mr. Pirate,

Thank you so much for your post with your criticism that was ever so constructive. It's so great to know there are people out there like you. I'm sure it made you feel warm inside when you saw that someone's numbers were lower than yours.
Last edited by william wallace on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Philaw

Bronze

Post by Philaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am

William-

Ok, so I have numbers pretty close to yours, and I applied way early in the cycle so I have a bit of insight for you. What I have found is that numbers are not everything, though at many schools you will want to look not at just being within their 25th percentiles, but at about their medians. The 25th percentile is important if you are a splitter at their school. For instance, if you can get a 75th percentile LSAT and a 25th percentile GPA, you're pretty solid. If you are within both medians, you're pretty solid. Maybe try doing Part Time applications at schools, as most of their numbers are dropped for the PT programs, and you will have a better shot at admittance, then if you really want to switch to FT after the first year. So far I've received a tentative acceptance after some discussion with a top 40 law school on the East Coast, pending my Feb. LSAT scores, which have already come out and were favorable, an acceptance with 1/2 tuition scholarship from a T3 school in a fairly saturated market, and some other pretty solid possiblities. I have, however, received a plethora of rejections from the Top 14 schools, which was to be expected, but like you, I was willing to spend the money just on the possibility. So expect rejections, and if you can afford it, apply wherever you can and make sure you have a story to back it up with compelling statements and addendums.

Hope this helped.

HOLLYWOOD MARINE

New

Post by HOLLYWOOD MARINE » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:49 am

Honestly, are you just looking for a vote of confidence or are you hoping someone will do all the leg work for you and tell you where to apply?

Why not take a year off, study and retake the lsat?

Georgia state part time is an option...

Good luck.

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 am

Okay so they are looking for people to increase those numbers, but they still let 50% of applicants in that are below it.

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:56 am

Honestly, I guess I want a vote of confidence about South Carolina. I don't want legwork done for me. I just think there is, let's say, a 10% chance of getting in there. Or am I dreaming and it's really 0%?

I may take a year off, and do it again, that's fine. I just keep doing the research on SC and I come back with the same answer "yeah, there is a small chance." Am I being delusional?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:07 am

william wallace wrote:
Mr. Pirate,

Thank you so much for your post with your criticism that was ever so constructive. It's so great to know there are people out there like you. I'm sure it made you feel warm inside when you saw that someone's numbers were lower than yours.
You're a gem that any school will be lucky to have.

flyingpanda

Silver

Post by flyingpanda » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:09 am

william wallace wrote:Okay so they are looking for people to increase those numbers, but they still let 50% of applicants in that are below it.
No they don't. They let in people who are typically above one median but below another, not below both. If you're below both medians, you MUST bring something else to the table, such as URM status or some sort of unique soft (which it does not seem you have).

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:09 am

Just insert your numbers in at this website:

http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/?page_id=11

And look to the right and if you see that say 20% are admitted with numbers below yours, then I would give that particular school a shot.

Good Luck!

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:15 am

Philaw,

That definitely helped. I am going to call tomorrow and ask them to change some of the applications I have already sent to be considered for both part-time and full-time. As for USC, I'm going to apply for both and not expect much. All of you have helped so much.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PDaddy

Gold

Re: PLEASE HELP - 154, 3.28: Should I apply to....

Post by PDaddy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

william wallace wrote:For that matter, I have others that I'm considering pushing the "send" button. Just going to lay it out there. No, you won't be hurting my feelings, please be honest so I don't waste money. But, if you think there's a chance let me know. I am including all the schools this time.

1. American University
2. UGA
3. UNC
4. Oregon
5. South Carolina

2. Florida State
4. Miami
5. Mercer
6. Arkansas

You might have a shot at the bolded schools, but I wouldn't bet on any of those others. Miami and Georgia State will be tough for you, too. But Miami does have about a 45% acceptance rate, so that's a good bet for many students. apply to a couple of reaches b/c you never know. Your LOR's essays and other softs could convince some adcom that you're worth it.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:22 am

Look into Hofstra, their application is free. Or check out Stetson, and live in paradise (plus it is a decent school).

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:33 am

I just saw that USC was a "Weak Consider" on the indicator. I am about to make sure everything looks good and hit "send" before the clock strikes midnight.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:35 am

william wallace wrote:I just saw that USC was a "Weak Consider" on the indicator. I am about to make sure everything looks good and hit "send" before the clock strikes midnight.
Getter done! And Good Luck with the Rest!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

william wallace

New

Post by william wallace » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:06 am

Okay well I just sent it but it was actually March 2nd on the east coast. I'll be sure and let y'all know how that turns out. I'm sure it will be okay

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 am

you should retake. I just applied to schools with a 3.25 and 154 and got rejected pretty much everywhere.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:12 am

william wallace wrote:Okay well I just sent it but it was actually March 2nd on the east coast. I'll be sure and let y'all know how that turns out. I'm sure it will be okay
As long as it was before 12 your time, as that is the time stamp that will be placed on it. But I doubt it would be that big a deal even if it was over by a couple of hours.

scionb4

Silver

Post by scionb4 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:13 am

william wallace wrote:
Mr. Pirate,

William, I know you can fight . . . but it's our wits that make us men . . . just one word - mercy . . . he wishes to speak a word . . . FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”