What do I say to get more money?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cardnal124

Re: What do I say to get more money?

Postby cardnal124 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:52 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Kikero

Postby Kikero » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:53 pm

From what I understand, no, or only very little. I'm a new member on here but I've read quite a few threads about this so I am pretty sure that South Americans don't count as URMs the same way Mexicans and Puerto Ricans do.

DukeHopeful

Postby DukeHopeful » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:54 pm

cvnrssm wrote:really? colombian doesn't count for anything?

It doesn't get a "boost" like that of African-Americans, Mexican, Puerto Rican, and Native American. It's not much more than a soft factor, assuming you wrote a good DS about it.

That explains the cycle paradox though.

cvnrssm

Postby cvnrssm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 am

kind of gettin back on topic..is it crazy not to try and avoid 180k-210k of debt i would rack up by going to a t14 school when i could get out of law school with under 30k of debt at uga...especially if i would like to stay in atlanta

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:09 am

cardnal124 wrote:--ImageRemoved--

QFT... where's reasonabledoubt?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:13 am

cvnrssm wrote:kind of gettin back on topic..is it crazy not to try and avoid 180k-210k of debt i would rack up by going to a t14 school when i could get out of law school with under 30k of debt at uga...especially if i would like to stay in atlanta

Not at all. In fact, you would be crazy to pass up on UGA in your situation.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:26 am

dakatz wrote:
cvnrssm wrote:kind of gettin back on topic..is it crazy not to try and avoid 180k-210k of debt i would rack up by going to a t14 school when i could get out of law school with under 30k of debt at uga...especially if i would like to stay in atlanta

While I don't love debt and the OP has a few irregular rejections, this seems like the exact opposite of typical TLS advice. Care to explain?

JollyGreenGiant

Postby JollyGreenGiant » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:30 am

edit: fail. it's already been posted. Ugh.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:40 am

ccs224 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

While I don't love debt and the OP has a few irregular rejections, this seems like the exact opposite of typical TLS advice. Care to explain?

If there is a very strong regional school in the exact place you wish to study, then going 200K just seems silly when you can graduate with almost no debt from one of the strongest schools in that market. This is especially true for the particular city he is talking about (Atlanta). Yes, there is Emory, and Duke and Vanderbilt send grads down South. But there are TONS of UGA law grads down there as well and the school is very highly regarded. We aren't talking Chicago or New York. The best regional schools in these cities don't hold a candle to Chicago/Northwestern in Chicago, and Columbia/NYU in NY, and not to mention the flood of top school applicants to end up in these cities from around the country. Atlanta doesn't have that same flood of students, nor the dominant schools.

People on TLS typically have no concept of debt and what it actually does to you, and I can't claim to be different in this respect. I am just out of college not too long ago, so I posed the OP's question to various lawyers from schools ranging from Harvard to TTT's. 9 times out of 10, they gasped at the 200K debt figure and said you would have to be out of your mind to do that in this economy. They said that even at the best schools, people are struggling to find jobs. They agree that, in good times, they would advise that I go to the best school possible, but now qualify that advice by saying, you should go to the best school you can get into that won't put you in crushing debt. So, for the OP's situation in particular, it would seem like staying at his strong regional school would be a great choice.

cvnrssm

Postby cvnrssm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:34 am

thank you for actually providing an intelligent answer

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:48 am

dakatz wrote:
ccs224 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

If there is a very strong regional school in the exact place you wish to study, then going 200K just seems silly when you can graduate with almost no debt from one of the strongest schools in that market. This is especially true for the particular city he is talking about (Atlanta). Yes, there is Emory, and Duke and Vanderbilt send grads down South. But there are TONS of UGA law grads down there as well and the school is very highly regarded. We aren't talking Chicago or New York. The best regional schools in these cities don't hold a candle to Chicago/Northwestern in Chicago, and Columbia/NYU in NY, and not to mention the flood of top school applicants to end up in these cities from around the country. Atlanta doesn't have that same flood of students, nor the dominant schools.

People on TLS typically have no concept of debt and what it actually does to you, and I can't claim to be different in this respect. I am just out of college not too long ago, so I posed the OP's question to various lawyers from schools ranging from Harvard to TTT's. 9 times out of 10, they gasped at the 200K debt figure and said you would have to be out of your mind to do that in this economy. They said that even at the best schools, people are struggling to find jobs. They agree that, in good times, they would advise that I go to the best school possible, but now qualify that advice by saying, you should go to the best school you can get into that won't put you in crushing debt. So, for the OP's situation in particular, it would seem like staying at his strong regional school would be a great choice.

I pretty much agree with this, though I don't know what the OP's career goals are. For what it's worth, I'm interested in PI, so the whole big law thing eludes me entirely; that said, it's nice to hear a cogent argument beyond simply T14 minus GULC and Cornell or bust for big law and bitches! expressed here.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:52 am

[/quote]I pretty much agree with this, though I don't know what the OP's career goals are. For what it's worth, I'm interested in PI, so the whole big law thing eludes me entirely; that said, it's nice to hear a cogent argument beyond simply T14 minus GULC and Cornell or bust for big law and bitches! expressed here.[/quote]

Yeah, I mean, the right advice usually lies somewhere in between all the muck you find on the web. Its probably because each place is so slanted toward one side or another. You go to JDU and everyone says that law school is a terrible choice and that their debt is killing them. You come here and see kids saying, "200K in debt? With IBR, its no biggie!". I tend to believe that the right choice lies somewhere in between these two slanted extremes.

cvnrssm

Postby cvnrssm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:56 am

whats the ceiling in terms of reasonable expectations for career aspirations graduating from a school like uga? i dont have a strong interest in PI but at the same time im not to enamored with the thought of slaving away at a "big law" firm

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:06 pm

edited for rc fail.

rundoxierun

Postby rundoxierun » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:52 pm

Just when I start feeling secure about my 3.55-3.65 gpa and 164/177 for next cycle, a thread like this pops up and ruins my day.

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:37 pm

cvnrssm wrote:whats the ceiling in terms of reasonable expectations for career aspirations graduating from a school like uga? i dont have a strong interest in PI but at the same time im not to enamored with the thought of slaving away at a "big law" firm

From the "Notable Alumni" section of UGA Law's wikipedia:

Graduates of the law school number more than 8,400 and include 11 governors, in excess of 35 U.S. and state senators and representatives and scores of federal and state judges, prominent attorneys and corporate leaders.[3] On two occasions, University of Georgia School of Law alumni have simultaneously headed all branches of state government: the last occasion was in 2002, when Roy Barnes was Governor, Norman S. Fletcher was Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Georgia, Tom Murphy was Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives and Mark Taylor was President of the Georgia Senate.

Counting the October 2007 term, Georgia Law graduates have served the U.S. Supreme Court as judicial clerks for three consecutive years, placing Georgia Law among the top five public law schools in the nation for supplying clerks to the U.S. Supreme Court since 2000.[citation needed]

Elitism runs particularly strong on top-law-schools (as should be obvious from the name). Some of the most successful lawyers in Georgia started their careers at UGA Law, and you can too. Here's the thing:

If you are a standout student at UGA I think you'll be ideally situated to work in the field of your choosing in Atlanta (and for that matter most of the GA/SC/NC/TN region).

If you aren't a standout student, on the other hand, you could be in trouble.

The advantage of using your impressive stats to go to a T10 would be their national profile, but I seriously wonder how much help, say, a UChicago degree would be in Atlanta. Yes it would help, but I doubt it would be a significant advantage over a strong student at UGA.

Anecdotally, a friend graduated from UChicago (~ top 20% in his class) and spent 4 months looking for work in Seattle. He even said a number of firms asked:

1) "Is UChicago part of the U of Illinois system?"

2) "Why didn't you go to U-dub law?"

rapstar

Postby rapstar » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:45 pm

Tell the admissions director that you are interested in the "Georgia Law Scholar" awards. They are full tuition schollys for ga residents with high lsats and gpas. If you are serious about attending I think you will definitely get one, especially if you flat out say that you will attend uga and withdraw everywhere else if you are granted full tuition.

dynomite

Postby dynomite » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:51 pm

rapstar wrote:Tell the admissions director that you are interested in the "Georgia Law Scholar" awards. They are full tuition schollys for ga residents with high lsats and gpas. If you are serious about attending I think you will definitely get one, especially if you flat out say that you will attend uga and withdraw everywhere else if you are granted full tuition.

Probably don't have to promise this -- and as a future lawyer, it's a good lesson to never agree to terms if you don't have to. I'd just say that, with your numbers, you're deciding between UGA and a number of "top schools," and the tipping point for you might be a Georgia Law Scholar award.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”