Apply anyway, or take a year to work?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ajoxer

Apply anyway, or take a year to work?

Postby Ajoxer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:13 pm

For reference, I've taken the LSAT twice, first time this past December and receiving a 161, and this February, managing a 173. My GPA is nothing spectacular at a 3.3. Unfortunately, I've almost certainly waited too late into the application process to send out my applications, and I'm now considering if it'd be better to accept the schools that I've applied to- Brooklyn Law School, New York Law, Benjamin N. Cardozo, and Fordham University- or if it would be better to spend a year (hopefully) looking for suitable work, most likely something related to my major, Political Science, and apply with the next cycle? My family's financial situation is, obviously, impacted by the current economic troubles, so that may be something to take into account in either case.

JordynAsh

Re: Apply anyway, or take a year to work?

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Year off to work, reapply early in the next cycle, get scholarship $$.

LeTigre

Postby LeTigre » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Wow, this is really close to my situation.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:17 pm

This is not even a remotely close choice. You need to wait a year, try next cycle, and go to a T14, probably with a nice scholarship. Hell, even a t20 with a full ride. You would have to be INSANE to go to any of those schools with your numbers. I just... forbid it.

Congrats on the score.

Ajoxer

Postby Ajoxer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:20 pm

jks289 wrote:This is not even a remotely close choice. You need to wait a year, try next cycle, and go to a T14, probably with a nice scholarship. Hell, even a t20 with a full ride. You would have to be INSANE to go to any of those schools with your numbers. I just... forbid it.

Congrats on the score.

Thanks. This seems to be the primary advice I've been getting. I'm probably going to discuss it with a few professors, and then talk it over with my parents.

On the plus side, I actually live in New York City, so the situation won't be as bad as it could be. Gratzi for the advice.

Ajoxer

Postby Ajoxer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm

A bit of followup, now. If I do apply to Fordham this cycle, and don't get in, or get in but choose not to go, will that negatively affect my chances of getting in if I apply there next cycle?

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:01 pm

Ajoxer wrote:A bit of followup, now. If I do apply to Fordham this cycle, and don't get in, or get in but choose not to go, will that negatively affect my chances of getting in if I apply there next cycle?

The general consensus around here is that it doesn't hurt. The only thing that may be a pain, is sometimes schools ask you to update your personal statement and LORs, so depending on the school (no specific knowledge of Fordham here) you might be setting yourself up for extra work. If you apply next cycle you will end up at a much better school than Fordham. So honestly I wouldn't worry too much about it hurting your chances.

Ajoxer

Postby Ajoxer » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:05 pm

Thanks.

And your avatar of a rather fifties-esque style housewife is somehow curiously soothing and makes your advice seem all the more helpful, so, kudos on that!

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:11 pm

Ajoxer wrote:Thanks.

And your avatar of a rather fifties-esque style housewife is somehow curiously soothing and makes your advice seem all the more helpful, so, kudos on that!

No problem. I pm'd you a few more thoughts. Good luck.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”