Georgetown JD for sale on EBAY. Current bid $120

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
SandyC877

Georgetown JD for sale on EBAY. Current bid $120

Postby SandyC877 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:45 am

I'm not sure if this is funny or sad, but I came across this today. 14 bids at $120

--LinkRemoved--

--ImageRemoved--

dextermorgan

Re: Georgetown JD for sale on EBAY. Current bid $120

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:49 am

It was on Craigslist yesterday. ATL reported it.

TTTennis

Postby TTTennis » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:53 am

dextermorgan wrote:It was on Craigslist yesterday. ATL reported it.

+1, but this shit is ftw.

billyez

Postby billyez » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:02 am

I think I'm going to bet on this, just for kicks before it gets taken down. :lol:

How can ya'll tell it's a Georgetown degree?
Last edited by billyez on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 am

TTTennis wrote:
dextermorgan wrote:It was on Craigslist yesterday. ATL reported it.

+1, but this shit is ftw.

I'm surprised he couldn't get the 59k for it. :lol:

--LinkRemoved--

SandyC877

Postby SandyC877 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:09 am

Is the legal market really as bad as ATL makes it out to be? Reading articles and comments there is seriously depressing. :( I hope that's not the case.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:13 am

SandyC877 wrote:Is the legal market really as bad as ATL makes it out to be? Reading articles and comments there is seriously depressing. :( I hope that's not the case.

Yes. Get out now.

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:30 am

SandyC877 wrote:Is the legal market really as bad as ATL makes it out to be? Reading articles and comments there is seriously depressing. :( I hope that's not the case.

if you want biglaw, then yeah, unfortunately it is definitely every bit as bad as ATL suggests. Median at T14 probably still gets you a job, but definitely not biglaw--mid-level government gigs seem to be the new thing to do.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:46 am

And you thought those employment figures that the law school provided were real :lol:

t-14 median gets big-law according to NLJ, but as you go down the rankings your chances disappear. Median at TTT get to write angry blogs for a living.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:53 am

erniesto wrote:And you thought those employment figures that the law school provided were real :lol:

t-14 median gets big-law according to NLJ, but as you go down the rankings your chances disappear. Median at TTT get to write angry blogs for a living.

I really really hope you aren't referring to ATL.

erniesto

Postby erniesto » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:56 am

No, blogs like Third Tier Reality and that whole angry circle jerk.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:57 am

erniesto wrote:No, blogs like Third Tier Reality and that whole angry circle jerk.

Don't forget all the posters on JDU. That's an epic shitfest.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:15 am

I'm not sure what's more depressing - the story itself, or the insufferable jackasses who make up the comments on ATL. Are those the kind of people who populate the legal profession? Damn.

Perjury

Postby Perjury » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:26 am

It's price is for $59,250.00.

Wouldn't you sell your degree for that much and get a replacement from the university?

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:17 pm

I don't know.. maybe this guy has a shitty job that he hates because he can't distinguish between "your" and "you're"...just saying...

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:26 pm

I enjoy the tension I feel here at TLS. Everyone here wants to go to law school, nay are going to law school (either currently or in the near future), but enjoy things such as this. Someone says the legal field is shit, run away now, you'll hate your life, etc. and we lol. That's kind of an odd reaction since we are following their path. Shouldn't we listen to him? He is going to a school that many here at TLS would love to go to. He even graduated when times were better in the legal market (hiring wise). It seems akin to a guy falling off a cliff saying "don't jump" to a bunch of people at the edge who are lol'ing as they leap off the edge.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Doritos wrote:I enjoy the tension I feel here at TLS. Everyone here wants to go to law school, nay are going to law school (either currently or in the near future), but enjoy things such as this. Someone says the legal field is shit, run away now, you'll hate your life, etc. and we lol. That's kind of an odd reaction since we are following their path. Shouldn't we listen to him? He is going to a school that many here at TLS would love to go to. He even graduated when times were better in the legal market (hiring wise). It seems akin to a guy falling off a cliff saying "don't jump" to a bunch of people at the edge who are lol'ing as they leap off the edge.

He also seems to hate the practice of law, which makes me think he is one of those people who went to law school be cause he lacked other options with his useless UG degree. If I was going to law school because of this I would be shitting myself right now, but I am going because I want to be a lawyer.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:36 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
Doritos wrote:I enjoy the tension I feel here at TLS. Everyone here wants to go to law school, nay are going to law school (either currently or in the near future), but enjoy things such as this. Someone says the legal field is shit, run away now, you'll hate your life, etc. and we lol. That's kind of an odd reaction since we are following their path. Shouldn't we listen to him? He is going to a school that many here at TLS would love to go to. He even graduated when times were better in the legal market (hiring wise). It seems akin to a guy falling off a cliff saying "don't jump" to a bunch of people at the edge who are lol'ing as they leap off the edge.

He also seems to hate the practice of law, which makes me think he is one of those people who went to law school be cause he lacked other options with his useless UG degree. If I was going to law school because of this I would be shitting myself right now, but I am going because I want to be a lawyer.

Good point. I obviously am jumping off the cliff myself so I am not on this ebay seller's team but I just find it kind of funny.

invisiblesun

Postby invisiblesun » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:05 pm

pleasetryagain wrote:I don't know.. maybe this guy has a shitty job that he hates because he can't distinguish between "your" and "you're"...just saying...

+1. Noticed it too. I'm not sure I buy all the alarmists. Yes, it's not like it used to be where a JD from a T14 would mean you were set for life. I'd say it's only that way now with the T3, but as far as the T14, bottom 10%-25% (higher percentage as you go lower) are probably stuck with some pretty crappy jobs that will lead to a long process of repaying debt. That being said, it's not like going to a T14 is futile, you just have to know it's for you and be committed to the tasks at hand in law school. It seems to me like said salesperson is someone who went to GTown, probably finished near the bottom of his class, and is now bitter because his employment prospects are not compensating him handsomely enough to live comfortably with the debt he's saddled.

galahad85

Postby galahad85 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:28 pm

invisiblesun wrote:
pleasetryagain wrote:I don't know.. maybe this guy has a shitty job that he hates because he can't distinguish between "your" and "you're"...just saying...

+1. Noticed it too. I'm not sure I buy all the alarmists. Yes, it's not like it used to be where a JD from a T14 would mean you were set for life. I'd say it's only that way now with the T3, but as far as the T14, bottom 10%-25% (higher percentage as you go lower) are probably stuck with some pretty crappy jobs that will lead to a long process of repaying debt. That being said, it's not like going to a T14 is futile, you just have to know it's for you and be committed to the tasks at hand in law school. It seems to me like said salesperson is someone who went to GTown, probably finished near the bottom of his class, and is now bitter because his employment prospects are not compensating him handsomely enough to live comfortably with the debt he's saddled.

I don't think he's even necessarily complaining about the job prospects. It sounds like he has a job (possibly in IP), but simply hates the very nature of the work itself. This happens to people in every profession. Perhaps lawyers are just the loudest about it because many of them went in with unrealistic expectations, or entered the profession not out of a genuine interest in the field, but because they didn't know what else to do.

I think the moral to extract from stories like this isn't "don't go to law school" - it's "don't go to law school unless you know why you're going."

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:09 pm

galahad85 wrote:
I think the moral to extract from stories like this isn't "don't go to law school" - it's "don't go to law school unless you know why you're going."

Probably the best piece of advice I've read on this website.

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:39 pm

serious question -- what are the exit options for someone like this dude, who went from T14 > several years in biglaw > no chance at partner and hates his job?

lsat_fear

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:47 pm

MTC87 wrote:serious question -- what are the exit options for someone like this dude, who went from T14 > several years in biglaw > no chance at partner and hates his job?

move to a small firm which pays a lot less but gives you a shot at making partner and controlling your work/life.

go in-house at a company

work as a trusts manager or loan adviser for a bank

sell real estate (once it picks back up) and do your own closings

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:48 pm

To be fair, buying a JD on ebay is no different than actually attending Georgetown.

hth

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 pm

lsat_fear wrote:

if you want biglaw, then yeah, unfortunately it is definitely every bit as bad as ATL suggests. Median at T14 probably still gets you a job, but definitely not biglaw--mid-level government gigs seem to be the new thing to do.

Median at T14 still nets you a decent shot at biglaw, but it's not a guarantee like it used to be.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”