Gentleman, please, a little respect....

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
daesonesb

Gentleman, please, a little respect....

Postby daesonesb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:40 pm

So, I applied for schools back in November... just after I'd moved into a new place. You know how LSAC has that common info app form? That was the first thing I filled out. Well, just today I was sitting around, and it occurred to me, "I haven't heard anything via snail mail from anyone.. I wonder why?" So I decided I'd check up on my info form to see if I got it right...

I didn't. Wrong apartment number. All my mail and info has been going to some guy named brady upstairs... whom I'm sure has just been throwing it all in the trash. For all I know, I have a free ride at Michigan waiting for me, or a huge collection of dings, and I don't know about it.

So... gentleman please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots.

beesknees

Re: Gentleman, please, a little respect....

Postby beesknees » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Ooo, that sucks. I'm sure you can call your schools Monday morning and they may just tell you your decision over the phone or email it to you, given the address mix up.

AngryAvocado

Postby AngryAvocado » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Have you checked with the guy yet? He may just not know what room it was intended for. He'd have to be a pretty epic tool to just toss someone else's mail in the trash.

devilishangelrjp

Postby devilishangelrjp » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:50 pm

daesonesb wrote:So, I applied for schools back in November... just after I'd moved into a new place. You know how LSAC has that common info app form? That was the first thing I filled out. Well, just today I was sitting around, and it occurred to me, "I haven't heard anything via snail mail from anyone.. I wonder why?" So I decided I'd check up on my info form to see if I got it right...

I didn't. Wrong apartment number. All my mail and info has been going to some guy named brady upstairs... whom I'm sure has just been throwing it all in the trash. For all I know, I have a free ride at Michigan waiting for me, or a huge collection of dings, and I don't know about it.

So... gentleman please, a little respect, for I am Costanza, lord of the idiots.

You could always ask? Maybe he held the mail on the off-chance that the owner would realize they were missing some mail?

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:Have you checked with the guy yet? He may just not know what room it was intended for. He'd have to be a pretty epic tool to just toss someone else's mail in the trash.

I just went and knocked on the door and no one is home.

I donno, you get a lot of junk mail from past tenants when you live in an apartment near a university... if I wanted to set aside all the mail I get for other people, the pile would be pretty hefty.

I mean, yeah, I guess since these letters are from schools he might save them but.... outlook not so good. :P

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:53 pm

No big deal, just call up the schools you haven't heard from yet and see if they have sent anything out.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:56 pm

traehekat wrote:No big deal, just call up the schools you haven't heard from yet and see if they have sent anything out.

Yeah, I plan on it. Hopefully they dont change their minds, a la, "This guy doesn't even know his own address, rescind the acceptance!"

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:59 pm

daesonesb wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:Have you checked with the guy yet? He may just not know what room it was intended for. He'd have to be a pretty epic tool to just toss someone else's mail in the trash.

I donno, you get a lot of junk mail from past tenants when you live in an apartment near a university... if I wanted to set aside all the mail I get for other people, the pile would be pretty hefty.

I mean, yeah, I guess since these letters are from schools he might save them but.... outlook not so good. :P

so you're saying if it was you, you would have been an epic tool and thrown it all in the trash.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:15 pm

awesomepossum wrote:epic tool

Interesting turn of phrase. I'm not saying I'd throw out mail for someone that looks important ie. a bank statement or something similar, but do you really save other people's junk mail?
I'm actually somewhat hopeful, because I can't see someone throwing out big shiny law school envelopes.

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:32 am

daesonesb wrote:
awesomepossum wrote:epic tool

Interesting turn of phrase. I'm not saying I'd throw out mail for someone that looks important ie. a bank statement or something similar, but do you really save other people's junk mail?
I'm actually somewhat hopeful, because I can't see someone throwing out big shiny law school envelopes.

I write "RTS - No such person" on the mail and leave the it by the mailbox. If it's for someone nearby, they will see it and retrieve the mail. If not, the postman takes it back. It costs nothing except the ink of my sharpie and gives the addressee a fighting chance.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:40 am

Are there any schools that rely solely on snail mail for communication? In my personal experience, even schools like NYU and UCLA (that don't have online status checkers) and Columbia (that doesn't show decision in status checker) always use more than just snail mail (email or phone). That said, I didn't apply to that many schools so this is based on limited info :)

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:19 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Are there any schools that rely solely on snail mail for communication? In my personal experience, even schools like NYU and UCLA (that don't have online status checkers) and Columbia (that doesn't show decision in status checker) always use more than just snail mail (email or phone). That said, I didn't apply to that many schools so this is based on limited info :)

This.

OP is full of it. Let's take the OP's original hypothetical: "I could have a full ride from Michigan thrown in the trash."

Really? So OP didn't use the status checker that Michigan e-mails its applicants? The status checker would have informed OP when a decision was made and that once it was made they should expect mail within 10-14 days. When that happened, he didn't find it curious that no mail arrived within the timeframe? He just sat around oblivious to the fact that he has not received any snail mail from law schools, even ones that gave him a specific timeline on when he should be expecting mail? It one day just *hit* him that maybe his address was wrong?

Yeah. Right.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I have a really GREAT story about someone else's mail coming to my apt. instead of theirs. But, I'm not sure about the legal implications of mis-addressed mail, so I don't think any of you get to hear it.

OP, my advice is to call the schools, have them fix your address in you applications and remail any info they've already sent.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:07 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:Are there any schools that rely solely on snail mail for communication? In my personal experience, even schools like NYU and UCLA (that don't have online status checkers) and Columbia (that doesn't show decision in status checker) always use more than just snail mail (email or phone). That said, I didn't apply to that many schools so this is based on limited info :)

This.

OP is full of it. Let's take the OP's original hypothetical: "I could have a full ride from Michigan thrown in the trash."

Really? So OP didn't use the status checker that Michigan e-mails its applicants? The status checker would have informed OP when a decision was made and that once it was made they should expect mail within 10-14 days. When that happened, he didn't find it curious that no mail arrived within the timeframe? He just sat around oblivious to the fact that he has not received any snail mail from law schools, even ones that gave him a specific timeline on when he should be expecting mail? It one day just *hit* him that maybe his address was wrong?

Yeah. Right.

Hmmm, well, actually the michigan status checker was what cued me to the possibility that I entered it wrong.

They listed as decision about a week ago, and so on friday I started getting a bit nervous, as nothing had shown in the mail. I also am beginning to think my upstairs neighbor is either a shut in or just doesn't give a shit, because he hasn't responded to the note i left at his door on friday, which had my apt number and my phone on it.
Why do so many people on here suspect others of concocting fake stories? I thought mine was funny enough to post, that's all.

EDIT: As far as decisions have gone, the reason I wasn't too worried (till Mich and UW status checkers went decision and blank respectively) was that Berkeley and UCLA both got back to me by means other than snail mail.

I've heard nothing at all from NYU though (expecting the ding).

Fancy Pants

Postby Fancy Pants » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:36 am

daesonesb wrote:They listed as decision about a week ago, and so on friday I started getting a bit nervous, as nothing had shown in the mail. I also am beginning to think my upstairs neighbor is either a shut in or just doesn't give a shit, because he hasn't responded to the note i left at his door on friday, which had my apt number and my phone on it.

You, on Saturday, wrote:Well, just today I was sitting around, and it occurred to me, "I haven't heard anything via snail mail from anyone.. I wonder why?" So I decided I'd check up on my info form to see if I got it right...

Why do so many people on here suspect others of concocting fake stories? I thought mine was funny enough to post, that's all.

Well, maybe because your post smells fishy in the first place and you can't even get the basic details right.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 am

I actually had a similar problem, though not of my own fault. For some reason, starting around November about half of my mail ended up being returned to sender, labeled with "No such address." I actually missed four acceptance packets because of this. Once I had figured it out, I opened a private mail box, emailed all my schools to ask them to update my address and to check and see if they had sent any mailings that I might not have received. All of them were great about it, particularly Vanderbilt (who called to make explain my the acceptance packet that I should be expecting) and Lewis and Clark, which scanned and emailed the whole packet, then sent another email to confirm that their snail-mail resend had gotten through. It actually made me like all of the schools a lot more after the whole debacle.

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:10 am

Fancy Pants wrote:
daesonesb wrote:They listed as decision about a week ago, and so on friday I started getting a bit nervous, as nothing had shown in the mail. I also am beginning to think my upstairs neighbor is either a shut in or just doesn't give a shit, because he hasn't responded to the note i left at his door on friday, which had my apt number and my phone on it.

You, on Saturday, wrote:Well, just today I was sitting around, and it occurred to me, "I haven't heard anything via snail mail from anyone.. I wonder why?" So I decided I'd check up on my info form to see if I got it right...

Well, maybe because your post smells fishy in the first place and you can't even get the basic details right.

Stop quoting me in bold. I am not gonna try and convince some person on the internet that something which actually happened to me happened. If you dont believe me, just move on.

ccs224: thanks for the support, I'm not reaaaaaly worried about it hurting my cycle... Moreso embarssed by my lack of precision, given the profession I'm intending to enter.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:30 am

OP, if you got any acceptences you will find out via e-mail anyway, unless you messed that up too (in which case Michigan is probably better off without you). /thread

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:34 am

daesonesb wrote:ccs224: thanks for the support, I'm not reaaaaaly worried about it hurting my cycle... Moreso embarssed by my lack of precision, given the profession I'm intending to enter.

Yeah, messing up your own address is embarrassing, though you can always claim it as a typo. My apartment is so ghetto that our address written on a piece of cardboard and taped on to the front door and our mailboxes don't even close, but the silver lining was that I had a real reason to speak more to the admissions offices and get a better feel for their schools and their level of interest in me. Vanderbilt, like I mentioned, was great and the admissions officer I spoke to spent some extra time trying to sell me on how nice Nashville was. Lewis and Clark was also wonderful and put in a lot of extra effort. USC, however, basically hung up on me when I initially called them to explain the situation ("We just sent them out. I'm sure you'll get them and just send an email to update your address. Click") which didn't impress me too much.

Kohinoor

Postby Kohinoor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:47 am

daesonesb wrote:

sorry bro but if he got the volume of mail that he likely did, he has been throwing it away for months. It is literally upwards of 20 pounds of mailings.

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:48 am

ccs224 wrote:
daesonesb wrote:ccs224: thanks for the support, I'm not reaaaaaly worried about it hurting my cycle... Moreso embarssed by my lack of precision, given the profession I'm intending to enter.

Yeah, messing up your own address is embarrassing, though you can always claim it as a typo. My apartment is so ghetto that our address written on a piece of cardboard and taped on to the front door and our mailboxes don't even close, but the silver lining was that I had a real reason to speak more to the admissions offices and get a better feel for their schools and their level of interest in me. Vanderbilt, like I mentioned, was great and the admissions officer I spoke to spent some extra time trying to sell me on how nice Nashville was. Lewis and Clark was also wonderful and put in a lot of extra effort. USC, however, basically hung up on me when I initially called them to explain the situation ("We just sent them out. I'm sure you'll get them and just send an email to update your address. Click") which didn't impress me too much.

that really sucks, when i spoke with a USC rep they were really nice to me. They answered all of my questions and tried their best to sell the law school to me.

romanholiday

Postby romanholiday » Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:50 am

Btw, you should check your local post office and see if they can forward mail from your old address to your new one. I tend to just write "RETURN TO SENDER" on any mail I get that's not mine and remail it. I always thought that was the standard procedure?

daesonesb

Postby daesonesb » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:33 am

Ragged wrote:OP, if you got any acceptences you will find out via e-mail anyway, unless you messed that up too (in which case Michigan is probably better off without you). /thread

That would be bad... :P I've gotten plenty of emails from lots of schools including mich.

Nah, the reason I fudged the address is somewhat understandable, though still ditzy.
I'd just moved to the place, and was filling the common app form out @ school. I didn't remember my address, but I remembered the name of the apt. complex. I felt embarassed calling my roomate to ask what my own address was, so I just googled the apt name in combination with my city and province. I thought the number which came up as my hit was the address for the building (dumb) and that they must just figure out where to put mail using the name tags on our mailboxes.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:58 am

if it makes you feel any better, at least you figured out how to use the common app form. i didnt even acknowledge its existence until i had finally completed all 20+ apps.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:08 am

bighead715 wrote:if it makes you feel any better, at least you figured out how to use the common app form. i didnt even acknowledge its existence until i had finally completed all 20+ apps.
:shock: I would still be working on apps if it wasn't for the LSAC.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”